The Student Room Group

What should I pick for A Level?

I got 13A*s at GCSE, and now I'm having second thoughts on what I should take for A Levels. I have no doubt I want to take Spanish, Maths and English Lit, and I was going to take Economics, a subject I have not studied for GCSE, but now I'm having second thoughts on whether to take Geography instead. I know you have to really be passionate about a subject to take it for A Level, and I love human geography, it's just physical geography bores the hell out of me and I don't know whether I could deal with doing it, but then again I know I'm good at it as I got A* at GCSE. I don't now whether to risk it and go for Economics or just take Geography which I know I will be good at but I might not enjoy as much... Any advice from someone who has studied either of these subjects? It's so hard because Economics will be a whole new subject and I don't want to not enjoy it. So yeah what should I do?
Reply 1
I did economics A level and as an AS its quite a straight forward subject compared to other essay subjects like history - Even multiple choice :wink: Nobody at my school did it for gcse and a lot of us got very good grades !

You dont need economics a level to do economics as a degree if you decide against anyways. You can always decide to swap subjects at the beginning of the year if you dislike whatever your taking too :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by another idiot
If you have the following: (a) strong knowledge in mathematics (algebra of eqations and their plotting on the graph and ideally a bit of calculus), (b) strong common sense, (c) ability to think and write logically and (d) find interest in the topics then you should definitely take economics. Judging by your other A level choices it looks like you fit all this criteria, so economics should be fairly enjoyable and you probably won't find it too difficult. Also, quite a few people in my year took geography and after a term a lot of them realised they hated it and tried to change.

Is there a lot of graphical work involved? And is the work mainly mathematically based or essay based because I know both are included in the exams at some point but what do the courses mainly consist of?

I do find it very interesting but I don't want to be seen as a bit stupid for taking it as some people consider it a bit of a throw away subject- for reasons I don't know as Uni's see it as a good subject to take.

I have some friends who felt he same about geography and that really helped me pick Ec over Geog, along with my hatred for human geography and having to learn ridiculous amounts of case studies for GCSE, most of which weren't in the exam which annoyed me SO much because I knew them inside out. But I'm still so so cautious about taking a new subject for A Level that I haven't studied already because I hear so much about how hard AS is and how fast the year goes- it's not a long time to get to grips with a completely new subject and concepts... I don't know maybe I should just be more adventurous and go with my instinct which tells me to take a chance with Ec, and I should remember how much I hated certain bits of my GCSE geog course.

Thank you for the advice!!!
Spanish - Math - Economics - Geography (All compliment each other).
Spanish - as hispanic language is increasing such as the 'hispanicization of the united states'

Math - underpins methods used in economics and geography

Economics - good for lots of careers

Geography - need I say more.

This will set you up for careers in: journalism, banking, government, international trade.
Reply 5
Original post by Protagoras
Spanish - Math - Economics - Geography (All compliment each other).

Thing is English is my favourite subject and I'm definitely going to do it, it's just between geography and economics, because any combination, whether it be Spanish, Maths, English Lit and Economics or Spanish, Maths, English Lit and Geography are good for a humanities degree rather than a science degree which is ultimately the course I want to go down, just not sue what humanities degree I want to do yet!
Well you got 13 A*s I'm sure you could talk the teachers into letting you do all 5 as I'm sure you'd cope.

Tell them about the girl that did 11 A Levels and got all A's.
Reply 7
Original post by Jkizer
I did economics A level and as an AS its quite a straight forward subject compared to other essay subjects like history - Even multiple choice :wink: Nobody at my school did it for gcse and a lot of us got very good grades !

You dont need economics a level to do economics as a degree if you decide against anyways. You can always decide to swap subjects at the beginning of the year if you dislike whatever your taking too :wink:

I'm literally so tempted to take it!! It sounds so interesting and international trade sounds like a possible career choice for me so it would be so useful... I think I'm going to take it and read up on the course then give it a go and I can always change it like you said!

Thanks!!
Reply 8
Original post by Protagoras
Well you got 13 A*s I'm sure you could talk the teachers into letting you do all 5 as I'm sure you'd cope.

Tell them about the girl that did 11 A Levels and got all A's.

I go to a grammar so we hear lots of girls who take 5 A levels and stress out over taking so many, I don't think I would cope; I'm such a big stresser and I always work until I think it's perfect which means there wouldn't be enough hours in the day to do 5 A Levels... as much as I want to I know I would regret taking on that much work especially as they are all considered difficult/challenging options!

What??!! I've not heard of her! That is literally mental how did she manage that?
Original post by xhazella
Is there a lot of graphical work involved? And is the work mainly mathematically based or essay based because I know both are included in the exams at some point but what do the courses mainly consist of?

I do find it very interesting but I don't want to be seen as a bit stupid for taking it as some people consider it a bit of a throw away subject- for reasons I don't know as Uni's see it as a good subject to take.

I have some friends who felt he same about geography and that really helped me pick Ec over Geog, along with my hatred for human geography and having to learn ridiculous amounts of case studies for GCSE, most of which weren't in the exam which annoyed me SO much because I knew them inside out. But I'm still so so cautious about taking a new subject for A Level that I haven't studied already because I hear so much about how hard AS is and how fast the year goes- it's not a long time to get to grips with a completely new subject and concepts... I don't know maybe I should just be more adventurous and go with my instinct which tells me to take a chance with Ec, and I should remember how much I hated certain bits of my GCSE geog course.

Thank you for the advice!!!

Worst possible reasoning for not picking a subject ever. If universities, which subsequently are the places you will get your degree at (should you choose to pursue one, that is), why does the opinion of people matter? Don't be ridiculous, it's a strong subject.

Quick Reply

Latest