The Student Room Group

What Course should I do??

I'm not sure what course at uni I would like to do. I am going to do medicine after my degree through an accelerated scheme for people who already have a degree.

At undergraduate what degree should I do?

Radiography and Oncology
Adult Nursing
Biomedical Science
Law

Scroll to see replies

Adult nursing is for people who actually want to be nurses; you'll be working bloody hard, full time in hospitals or the community, for free. You don't just do it to get into medicine.
Original post by Pectorac
Adult nursing is for people who actually want to be nurses; you'll be working bloody hard, full time in hospitals or the community, for free. You don't just do it to get into medicine.

I never said I would do it just to get into medicine, It would be a back up for if I didn't get in. I understand how difficult all these subjects are, I would just like to know what one seems like the best option.
Original post by JonnyRutherford
I never said I would do it just to get into medicine, It would be a back up for if I didn't get in. I understand how difficult all these subjects are, I would just like to know what one seems like the best option.

Yes you did, you said 'I am going to do medicine after my degree through an accelerated scheme for people who already have a degree'

Nursing cannot be a back-up, you have to really want to do it. You can't go into it with that attitude, because it's not fair on the patients and you'll inevitably fail, wasting everybody's time. You either want to be a doctor or you want to be a nurse; you can't have it both ways.
Yes you did, you said 'I am going to do medicine after my degree through an accelerated scheme for people who already have a degree'

Nursing cannot be a back-up, you have to really want to do it. You can't go into it with that attitude, because it's not fair on the patients and you'll inevitably fail, wasting everybody's time. You either want to be a doctor or you want to be a nurse; you can't have it both ways.

Yes, taking one year out to work as a nurse. Just because I want to do medicine does not mean I do not appreciate nursing just as much, nor would it change my ability to do the job. The reason why the accelerated scheme is there is for people of all degrees, and those in the NHS to join the course.
Yes, taking one year out to work as a nurse. Just because I want to do medicine does not mean I do not appreciate nursing just as much, nor would it change my ability to do the job. The reason why the accelerated scheme is there is for people of all degrees, and those in the NHS to join the course.

You do not 'take a year out' to work as a nurse; that's a horrible attitude. The reason for the accelerated scheme is not to jump onto a fee free NHS degree like nursing and use it for graduate entry medicine.

To be a nurse you need to be dedicated, not "Oh I actually just want to be a doctor so I'll do a degree that will make me look good for medical admissions". It will make you look ridiculous and indecisive about what you want to with your life, as well as wasting £27,000 of NHS money for a free degree.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm not sure what course at uni I would like to do. I am going to do medicine after my degree through an accelerated scheme for people who already have a degree.

At undergraduate what degree should I do?

Radiography and Oncology
Adult Nursing
Biomedical Science
Law

You're better off doing biomed, but be careful, graduate entry medicine is really competitive!
You do not 'take a year out' to work as a nurse; that's a horrible attitude. The reason for the accelerated scheme is not to jump onto a fee free NHS degree like nursing and use it for graduate entry medicine.

To be a nurse you need to be dedicated, not "Oh I actually just want to be a doctor so I'll do a degree that will make me look good for medical admissions". It will make you look ridiculous and indecisive about what you want to with your life, as well as wasting £27,000 of NHS money for a free degree.

Then you tell me what the accelerated scheme is for then. if I did not gain access to that scheme then I would just be a nurse. Not sure how that would be a waste if I continued that carrier path anyway.
Original post by Flobie
You're better off doing biomed, but be careful, graduate entry medicine is really competitive!

Thank you for a reply that is positive and actually useful since I did say I wanted to do other courses also so I appreciate your reply. And yeah it is really competitive hahaha
Then you tell me what the accelerated scheme is for then. if I did not gain access to that scheme then I would just be a nurse. Not sure how that would be a waste if I continued that carrier path anyway.

It is for people with degrees who haven't spent £27,000 of NHS money (as the NHS pays tuition fees for nursing degrees), who want to be doctors after carefully considering that the degree they originally studied isn't going to get them to where they want to be. It is not for people to jump onto a free degree who obviously can't see themselves doing what that free degree was intended for. You either want to be a doctor or you want to be a nurse; medical admissions tutors will think you're a moron for wasting basically their money and conveniently changing your mind when you wanted to be a doctor all along, and they will seriously question if you actually want to be a doctor at all, because the evidence will make it look very doubtful.

You obviously have no idea of what a nursing degree involves.
(edited 9 years ago)
It is for people with degrees who haven't spent £27,000 of NHS money (as the NHS pays tuition fees for nursing degrees), who want top be doctors. It it not for people to jump onto a free degree who obviously can't see themselves doing what that free degree was intended for. You either want to be a doctor or you want to be a nurse; medical admissions tutors will think you're a moron for wasting basically their money and 'changing your mind' when you wanted to be a doctor all along, and they will seriously question if you actually want to be a doctor at all, because the evidence will make it look very doubtful.

You obviously have no idea of what a nursing degree involves.

One point you know nothing about me. And second I said I would enjoy both jobs equally, however I would like to try medicine. And I think I do know a lot about nursing so don't get on a pedestal mate. Plenty of people do the accelerated scheme including paramedics and Radiographers to Lawyers.
One point you know nothing about me. And second I said I would enjoy both jobs equally, however I would like to try medicine. And I think I do know a lot about nursing so don't get on a pedestal mate. Plenty of people do the accelerated scheme including paramedics and Radiographers to Lawyers.

Then why are you asking questions on here if you already know everything? Your heart is obviously not in nursing or medicine and you will fail at either; if you 'would like to try medicine', that's not a compelling reason that you actually want to be a doctor, and even less for wanting to be a nurse. Tell me what you 'know' about nursing.
Thank you for a reply that is positive and actually useful since I did say I wanted to do other courses also so I appreciate your reply. And yeah it is really competitive hahaha

No problem, although I do think nursing is a bad idea. What year are you in, and why don't you want to do undergraduate medicine?
This probably doesn't help at all but I think if you're considering those courses you want to consider three things "Which course would look best on my medicine university application", "Which course could you have good career prospects if medicine is far too difficult to get into?" (I'm not being mean or anything but just saying that medicine is incredibly competitive and even more so at Postgrad level I believe so nothing at this point is certain.) and also "Which degree would I enjoy the most?" (You don;t want to spend the next three years and possibly further in your career miserable and hating what you do)

So now, you've got weigh up the pros and the cons of each undergrad degree degree:
1) Radiology and Oncology - This, you can reflect a lot on your personal statement, it has good career prospects however, it does not show your dedication and consistency to medicine
2) Adult Nursing - Same as above
3) Biomedical Science - Shows your dedication, focus and consistency for medicine, you can reflect a lot on your personal statement however, I believe (don't quote me on this) there are poor career prospects in this area and very few jobs available (or so I;ve been told)
4) Law - It does not show your dedication and commitment to medicine, you cannot reflect on it (I imagine) on your personal statement and relate it to medicine however, there are probably good career prospects and jobs available in this area as a back up.

This may not be a great deal of help but will give you some guidance I hope.
Good Luck :smile:
Then why are you asking questions on here if you already know everything? Your heart is obviously not in nursing or medicine and you will fail at either; if you 'would like to try medicine', that's not a compelling reason that you actually want to be a doctor, and even less for wanting to be a nurse. Tell me what you 'know' about nursing.

I don't need to give you a story in my answers mate. You know nothing about me, I would ask what you do at Uni or as a job but I suspect you would say nursing. And it wouldn't be a waste of £27000 as I would need to pay for my medical degree which would be 5 years and would cost more than a nursing degree. I don't need to give answers like an interview panel, I know what I want to do and what Im capable of. I know how hard nurses work, Ive shadowed doctors and my Mam is a nurse including my friends and her friends who are doctors and Nurses. If you read my original question you would know I stated my subjects than nursing and didn't even say I was going to chose it anyway!
Original post by LouieSax
This probably doesn't help at all but I think if you're considering those courses you want to consider three things "Which course would look best on my medicine university application", "Which course could you have good career prospects if medicine is far too difficult to get into?" (I'm not being mean or anything but just saying that medicine is incredibly competitive and even more so at Postgrad level I believe so nothing at this point is certain.) and also "Which degree would I enjoy the most?" (You don;t want to spend the next three years and possibly further in your career miserable and hating what you do)

So now, you've got weigh up the pros and the cons of each undergrad degree degree:
1) Radiology and Oncology - This, you can reflect a lot on your personal statement, it has good career prospects however, it does not show your dedication and consistency to medicine
2) Adult Nursing - Same as above
3) Biomedical Science - Shows your dedication, focus and consistency for medicine, you can reflect a lot on your personal statement however, I believe (don't quote me on this) there are poor career prospects in this area and very few jobs available (or so I;ve been told)
4) Law - It does not show your dedication and commitment to medicine, you cannot reflect on it (I imagine) on your personal statement and relate it to medicine however, there are probably good career prospects and jobs available in this area as a back up.

This may not be a great deal of help but will give you some guidance I hope.
Good Luck :smile:

Thank you, That was really informative :smile:
Original post by Flobie
No problem, although I do think nursing is a bad idea. What year are you in, and why don't you want to do undergraduate medicine?

I am currently doing my A levels and cannot do undergraduate as I did not get the grades the first time around. And you can't really resit your tests and then apply for medicine as most uni say they won't accept resit applicants
I don't need to give you a story in my answers mate. You know nothing about me, I would ask what you do at Uni or as a job but I suspect you would say nursing. And it wouldn't be a waste of £27000 as I would need to pay for my medical degree which would be 5 years and would cost more than a nursing degree. I don't need to give answers like an interview panel, I know what I want to do and what Im capable of. I know how hard nurses work, Ive shadowed doctors and my Mam is a nurse including my friends and her friends who are doctors and Nurses. If you read my original question you would know I stated my subjects than nursing and didn't even say I was going to chose it anyway!

Yes it would be a waste of £27,000. Student finance England pays for medical degrees through a tuition fee loan; NHS funded degrees have the money come directly out of the government allocated NHS budget and you don't pay anything; there's no loan to pay back to anybody. The NHS and student finance England have nothing to do with each other. Cheers for taking away 27 grand of treatment from future patients.
Yes it would be a waste of £27,000. Student finance England pays for medical degrees through a tuition fee loan; NHS funded degrees have the money come directly out of the government allocated NHS budget and you don't pay anything; there's no loan to pay back to anybody. The NHS and student finance England have nothing to do with each other. Cheers for taking away 27 grand of treatment from future patients.

The medical degree (grad entry) you have to predominantly pay for yourself. Crazy expensive endeavour.
I don't like that you're attacking the OP but I do agree that nursing is probably not a good idea if you want to be a doc. If you're happy being a nurse then this would be fine - but doing it with the aim of doing GEM wouldn't be the best plan.
I would consider something like biomed or radiology, oncology, biology, chemistry, physiotherapy, or psychology.... something that will give you a really good theoretical basis for GEM.
You will also have to worry about GEM being around in the future. So study something you really enjoy... as you may become stuck with only post-grad options in a related area.
(edited 9 years ago)
I am currently doing my A levels and cannot do undergraduate as I did not get the grades the first time around. And you can't really resit your tests and then apply for medicine as most uni say they won't accept resit applicants

Are you resetting the whole year or just some modules?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending