The Student Room Group

Easiest A levels

Hi, I'm thinking about doing a mechanichal/electrical engineering course at university so I will be doing A level Maths and Physics for sure, and I have to chose at least 4 A levels in total, so-- which A levels are the easiest and require the least amount of time to study them at home, or none at all to get a passing grade (D)?

Thanks in advance :wink:

Scroll to see replies

It's very difficult to pick the 'easiest' A Levels, it really depends on each individual. All A Levels need a lot of work! I did French, Spanish, Geography and Maths at AS, so I can only relate to AS Maths being a pain, but if you are considering that type of degree you must feel comfortable with it!!
The best advice I can give is do what you enjoy doing, that makes studying it a lot easier. You will also need to think about which subjects fit best with the requirements of your degree course, because the work will be worth it if you can get into the place you want doing what you want!
Hope this helps a bit!
Reply 2
Well, I don't find maths and physics easy, in fact, when I had two periods of maths on a transition day, where we would attend lessons for 2 days and try the subjects we chose, maths was hell on earth! That's why I need 1 or 2 least time-consuming a level subjects so I can hopefully have enough time after school to study physics and maths.
Reply 3
No A-levels are particularly easy to be honest...
Geography
Business Studies
Computing
Reply 5
Original post by dexirion
Hi, I'm thinking about doing a mechanichal/electrical engineering course at university so I will be doing A level Maths and Physics for sure, and I have to chose at least 4 A levels in total, so-- which A levels are the easiest and require the least amount of time to study them at home, or none at all to get a passing grade (D)?

Why not look for a levels that arnt nesserily easy but overlap in content like computing and ICT, business and economics, engineering and design tech or electronics with computing or just do further maths so you could learn two subjects but you would cover things twice giving you less revision and knowledge that applies to both sets of exams?

Geography/sociology are quite easy and don't look too bad either:cool:
Oh didn't see your course

Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Geography would be good for you, or economics
Reply 8
General studies :wink: Turn up and pass np.
Reply 9
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Geography
Business Studies
Computing

I'd counter Computing if you have no previous experience of large project and time management before. At least for the exam board I do, it's easy in terms of difficulty of tasks involved, but when you consider the workload in A2 it's very heavy, so therefore it becomes hardly 'easy' at all alongside 3 or more subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For Engineering, Design Technology is not only easy, but also a little bit useful.
You need to consider though that if you're applying to university, the uni is likely to look at the subjects your taking and if it comes down to a choice between you doing maths, physics and two 'soft' subjects and another candidate who did physics, maths and two 'harder' or more relevant subjects then who will they choose?
Dont hate, but probably maths. More people get A*s with it
Reply 12
Original post by yt7777
Why not look for a levels that arnt nesserily easy but overlap in content like computing and ICT, business and economics, engineering and design tech or electronics with computing or just do further maths so you could learn two subjects but you would cover things twice giving you less revision and knowledge that applies to both sets of exams?

I'd really like to do further maths, but my Sixth Form only lets you do it if you got an A* at your Maths GCSE and I only got a B :biggrin: for now my 3rd AS subject is Economics and the 4th is Chemistry, so I'll try to replace Chem with business studies
I'd really like to do further maths, but my Sixth Form only lets you do it if you got an A* at your Maths GCSE and I only got a B :biggrin: for now my 3rd AS subject is Economics and the 4th is Chemistry, so I'll try to replace Chem with business studies

Tbh, Chemistry comes pretty easily if you're doing Maths and Physics as well.
Also, my boyfriend is doing Engineering and I have to tutor him a bit for modules like thermodynamics because he never did Chemistry.
Photography
Art
Drama
Reply 15

Oh right yeah it was the same at my college, fair enough sounds good
There is no easy a level
Unless it is A level photography or BTEC colouring

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Harvey Dent
Photography
Art
Drama

NO whatever you do DO NOT DO ART or photography because you'll be working HOURS each weak after school. Even if you want to get a D, it takes up so much energy and the way the book has to be laid out and all the gallery trips. Plus you have to do life drawing :s-smilie:

Tbh every subject is hard, you need to think whether you want to do something essay based or not. Maybe subjects like Sociology and PE or something like that would be considered easier.
Well, I don't find maths and physics easy, in fact, when I had two periods of maths on a transition day, where we would attend lessons for 2 days and try the subjects we chose, maths was hell on earth! That's why I need 1 or 2 least time-consuming a level subjects so I can hopefully have enough time after school to study physics and maths.

Are you sure engineering is really the right course for you then? Taking UCL's requirements for Electronic Engineering, they require Mathematics and prefer Physics and Further Maths. Most students who apply and were able to have taken Further Maths and as Bath asks for, also Chemistry.

Your best bet is Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.
Seriously, look at what you are saying.

If you expect life to be easy on you then wait for the wall to hit you in the face.

When you are in your late twenties and you are doing a job that you know that some other company would be paying you 5000 pounds more but they go for the person with the relevant A Levels with good grades - who are you kidding apart from yourself.

Engineering: Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics..

Additional should be: Computing, Design Technology, Chemistry.

Don't waste this opportunity to become something awesome - someone with lots of money and travels the world because you wanted to do 'the easy option'.

Quick Reply

Latest