The Student Room Group

Doing 3 AS Levels

Would 3 AS Levels, Maths with Stats, Modern History and Business Studies, be ok to attempt to get into a Russel Group University to study Economics?

(LSE, Nottingham, Bristol, Oxford, Cambridge,UCL) <--- Universities i hope to apply for

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SanjayGill
Would 3 AS Levels, Maths with Stats, Modern History and Business Studies, be ok to attempt to get into a Russel Group University to study Economics?

(LSE, Nottingham, Bristol, Oxford, Cambridge,UCL) <--- Universities i hope to apply for

Nope. Oxbridge will most likely not accept Business studies. And you will be at a disadvantage with 3 A levels.

You can try the rest, but you'll have to get some good grades.

I'm doing Maths, Physics and Business studies, hoping to apply to Manchester, U of Bham, Liverpool, and maybe a few others.

Why don't you switch Business studies for Economics and add another AS?
No not really, most require another AS at least

If you want to apply to Cambridge/lse/ucl you should really think about taking further maths and in that case probably carry all 4 on to A2

Is there any reason you're taking business studies and not economics? :smile:
Reply 3

Nottingham & Bristol are achievable with good grades

UCL and LSE are a maybe if you get 1/2 A*s

Cambridge is a no regardless
Reply 4
I got a Bristol offer with 3 AS levels but different subjects - Math, Econ + Psycho

Nottingham wouldnt be totally unrealistic either, but your pushing it with the others.
Reply 5
Original post by sjrahman
Nottingham & Bristol are achievable with good grades

UCL and LSE are a maybe if you get 1/2 A*s

Cambridge is a no regardless

Can i ask why?
Reply 6
Original post by Jkizer
I got a Bristol offer with 3 AS levels but different subjects - Math, Econ + Psycho

Nottingham wouldnt be totally unrealistic either, but your pushing it with the others.

Why's that?
Reply 7
Why's that?

Most unis consider Business Studies to be a soft subject that they don't look at seriously. That's why I said UCL and LSE will probably want 2A*s in Maths and History. Cambridge don't even consider Business Studies to be a subject and will only see you as doing 2 A levels that they can consider.
(edited 9 years ago)

No, do your research before asking:

'A*AA (to include A* in Maths) plus a pass in a fourth subject for those with 4 or more A2s or A*AA plus an A grade in Further Maths AS for those offering AS Further Maths only'

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/departmentalAdmissionsCriteria2015/economics.aspx

Reply 9
Original post by Pectorac
No, do your research before asking:

'A*AA (to include A* in Maths) plus a pass in a fourth subject for those with 4 or more A2s or A*AA plus an A grade in Further Maths AS for those offering AS Further Maths only'

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/departmentalAdmissionsCriteria2015/economics.aspx

Yh sorry should've looked at the requirements before making a comment, LSE and Cambridge completely off the table. Have a look at UCL's requirements. Maybe you should switch Business Studies instead of Economics and do Further Maths AS Level.
Could do EPQ
Original post by sjrahman
Yh sorry should've looked at the requirements before making a comment, LSE and Cambridge completely off the table. Have a look at UCL's requirements. Maybe you should switch Business Studies instead of Economics and do Further Maths AS Level.

I didn't quote you; are you the same person as the OP? It's not me asking the questions.
Reply 12
Why's that?

Some ask for AS's like UCL and LSE. Plus majority of applicants will have studied further maths - Not saying its impossible not to get in without it, but if your lacking an AS already then it may just be an easy reason for the uni to reduce numbers of applicants.

But im sure many other good unis will take your application.
Original post by Pectorac
I didn't quote you; are you the same person as the OP? It's not me asking the questions.

No I was quoting you so OP could see what I was referring to when I made the comment.
Just remembered UCL ask for a pass in a 4th AS subject so there's UCL off the table. You now have Bristol and Nottingham, your other 3 choices are practically no chance. Sorry :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm doing 3 atm, the impression I've been given is that it will only affect your application to the top 5/8 universities or if you want to do Medicine. I'm applying to King's, St Andrews and Nottingham this year.
Would 3 AS Levels, Maths with Stats, Modern History and Business Studies, be ok to attuempt to get into a Russel Group University to study Economics?

Ucl wants paas at fourth subject at as level for all courses I think
tgey want at least an e in fourth subject at as
not sure about the others check their websites general entry requirements:wink:
no, none of those universities will even consider you if your average is below 90% across three AS levels, why don't you stop being lazy and take 4 like everybody else.
Do the extended project qualification , which universities accept in place of the fourth AS. This is a bit of a cynical question but my AS results were AAA in history business and sociology and I will do the EPQ next year , so would these be acceptable university choices with predicted grades of A*AA

Bristol A*AA ( AAA with A in EPQ)
Warwick AAAC
Kings college AAA
Southampton AAB ( ABB with A in EPQ)
Royal Holloway AAB
Original post by pryngles
no, none of those universities will even consider you if your average is below 90% across three AS levels, why don't you stop being lazy and take 4 like everybody else.

Harsh. I wasn't able to take a fourth because the school I studied my GCSEs was in the bottom 5% in my region, hence I only did 7 GCSEs (+ a worthless BTEC) and my current school wanted at least 8As to take a 4th AS. I wouldn't say I was being lazy.

Quick Reply

Latest