The Student Room Group

How to do great in a relatively bad school?

Hey everyone,
The Sixth form college I am attending is bad. It's my only option right now as it allows me study the courses I want to study with my grades (Bs and Cs). The thing is, they are short on teachers and their organisational skills as a school is terrible. There were 58 students in one science class due to lack of teachers and space. Adding on, students literally just walk out of the gates and go home whenever they want. The attendance altogether is appalling. Instead, some just smoke in front of the school and wear scene outfits or hip hop clothing, listening to depressing mixes. I would like to get As at A levels and since I am doing tough subjects: Maths, Physics, Chemistry and English lit I need some guidance. How do I get through this, I mean two years? I just want to succeed no matter how bad the environment is.
You could change after one year, kinda self study, and block out everyone else
Find people with similar study aspirations and chill with them
Most of A levels are about self studying anyway, you'll be fine if you work hard
Original post by manchesterunited15
Most of A levels are about self studying anyway, you'll be fine if you work hard

What MU15 said. It's more independent tbh. Just have a studying timetable and try sticking to it. Work hard and block everyone else out. You could always hire a tutor to help as well :smile:.
Is it bsix :redface:

If yes I might see you in my maths, chemistry and physics classes.

Stay at the library till close and don't procrastinate and make sure you ask teachers even though they are crap for help on topics you don't understand and if they are still crap then try and find another teacher to explain it to you.
Make sure you work everyday and complete all hw the day it is set and work during frees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just assume complete personal responsibility for your own learning. Work hard and you can do fine. There is absolutely nothing any teacher can tell you of any value which is not in the textbook anyway.
Get books. Out of a library if need be. Teach yourself.
Reply 8
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Is it bsix :redface:

If yes I might see you in my maths, chemistry and physics classes.

Stay at the library till close and don't procrastinate and make sure you ask teachers even though they are crap for help on topics you don't understand and if they are still crap then try and find another teacher to explain it to you.
Make sure you work everyday and complete all hw the day it is set and work during frees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL Yea! Thanks so much, glad that there are people in that school with similar goals and thoughts to mine :smile:
Reply 9
Thanks everyone for your replies. Guess it's all about independence. Only thing is, it would be great to have a good English teacher who could help with my essays...
Original post by Cherry82
LOL Yea! Thanks so much, glad that there are people in that school with similar goals and thoughts to mine :smile:

We aim for 4As at AS:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by toonervoustotalk
We aim for 4As at AS:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitively! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest