The Student Room Group

How do you accept being single?

Lately I have been feeling incredibly sexually frustrated and lonely. I haven't had sex in ages and I've been single for god knows how long. It has been making me feel so depressed, especially when ypu have to listen to your mates in relationships talk about how much sex they're getting and how they're off on tropical holidays with their girlfriends. I feel like a bit of a loser.

I've been trying to make myself feel happy that I'm single, but I have no idea how to do it anymore. Everytime I attempt I end up thinking how lonely I am. How can I accept being single? How does one embrace singledom? How can you be happy when you get no sex nor have no girlfriend?

Scroll to see replies

Dude, relax. You don't need a relationship to be happy. If you're struggling with the sexless bit, get hammered on a few nights out, you'll find someone to do :tongue:.

If all fails, masturbate furiously using your tears as lube.
Reply 2
Young free and single is over rated in my opinion, unless its by choice and you can pretty much end it when you want. Like some babes I've come across who welcome a break from obsessed guys.

Been where you are. Actually reckon its really common. The only answer is persistence and patience. Things eventually come good and you can make up for lost time. In parallel new hobbies - preferably with target rich environments - and lots of beer help.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
I'm mostly single (in that I have a regular sexual partner but we both want nothing more than the sex), and I love it. I can leave the toilet seat up or down, no one whines at me for looking at other women, I get no boring talks about the 'future', no mothers-in-law, I could go on; I am pretty much free to do what I want, with whom I want, when I want.

Embrace single-ness, but do not confuse being single with being lonely.

And finally, do not think that having a girlfriend will mean you are happy!
Original post by datpiff
Lately I have been feeling incredibly sexually frustrated and lonely. I haven't had sex in ages and I've been single for god knows how long. It has been making me feel so depressed, especially when ypu have to listen to your mates in relationships talk about how much sex they're getting and how they're off on tropical holidays with their girlfriends. I feel like a bit of a loser.

I've been trying to make myself feel happy that I'm single, but I have no idea how to do it anymore. Everytime I attempt I end up thinking how lonely I am. How can I accept being single? How does one embrace singledom? How can you be happy when you get no sex nor have no girlfriend?

There are plenty of things in life that can make you happy. You do not need sex and/or a girlfriend/boyfriend in order to make yourself happy.

How old are you by the way?
Reply 5
Having a girlfriend doesn't equal having your life sorted. Plenty of people in relationships have unseen struggles and frustrations that they won't talk about.

Being single means you can travel without having to worry about bringing your partner and see as many different people as you like. You have the rest of your adulthood to be married; to have kids and a house and a mortgage. Make the most of being single and free- what's the big rush?
I've been single for long time and I'm extremely happy. Always off travelling, no one to tie me down. I'm off to america to live and work for four months next year, going to be the biggest adventure of my life.
It would be a lot harder if I had a boyfriend; having to check if he wouldn't mind, arguments and wining about leaving for so long etc etc, no thank you!
Do something like that, challenge your independence, find something new you love doing.
You can definitely be a happy singleton.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Single means you can be selfish. You don't have to worry about an other half and, hell, screw couple holidays. You could go travelling the world tomorrow if you wanted to, knowing that you wouldn't have to discuss these plans with the girlfriend and potentially argue about then.

Single is quiet, but good quiet. No arguments, no drama. Embrace it.

Single means you can do whatever you wish to do as a single male with no consequences (who says you won't get sex? If you want it, you can go after it)

Single means that when the right person does come along, you can just go for it. And if it doesn't work out, you can do it all over again.

I know it's hard not to want the cuddles, intimacy and someone who is there for you all the time, but we always think the grass is greener. Try thinking 'what COULDN'T I do if I was in a relationship' and singleness will seem that bit sweeter :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're single you can kiss whoever you want :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Frustrating as hell, isn't it? I have a wide circle of friends and every single one of them without fail is completely loved up, spending all their time with their boy/girlfriend and in most cases, off on some fancy foreign holiday with them. By contrast i'm sitting alone in my house, desperate for someone to talk to because all of my housemates and friends are away with their boy/girlfriend. Makes me feel completely inferior to them.

All this talk about going out, being able to do what you want or travel is largely irrelevant. All of my friends are in relationships so they don't want to do anything like that unless it's with their other half! The last time I went out it was with 2 of my friends who are a couple, they obviously couldn't keep their hands off each other and it made me feel like ****. Like i'd only been invited out of pity.

I can't see this situation ever changing either, which doesn't help.
Reply 10
Original post by sr90
Frustrating as hell, isn't it? I have a wide circle of friends and every single one of them without fail is completely loved up, spending all their time with their boy/girlfriend and in most cases, off on some fancy foreign holiday with them. By contrast i'm sitting alone in my house, desperate for someone to talk to because all of my housemates and friends are away with their boy/girlfriend. Makes me feel completely inferior to them.

All this talk about going out, being able to do what you want or travel is largely irrelevant. All of my friends are in relationships so they don't want to do anything like that unless it's with their other half! The last time I went out it was with 2 of my friends who are a couple, they obviously couldn't keep their hands off each other and it made me feel like ****. Like i'd only been invited out of pity.

I can't see this situation ever changing either, which doesn't help.

Then they end up going in early because they all so desperately want to have sex with each other. I never go out with couples anymore. It's boring as hell. There at least has to be one crazy single person to spice up the party.

Sometimes I feel the only singles who have it good are single females. Being a single man sort of sucks, unless you are pretty attractive. I'm working on my body a lot at the gym lately as a result (i'd be lying if i don't admit the main reason I go to the gym is female attention), though after I get over this arm injury i'm going back!

Original post by Misophonia

Single means you can do whatever you wish to do as a single male with no consequences (who says you won't get sex? If you want it, you can go after it)

Probably because I haven't had any success at the moment. I think i might be just rubbish at talking to women and communicating to other 'normal' human beings :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by datpiff
Then they end up going in early because they all so desperately want to have sex with each other. I never go out with couples anymore. It's boring as hell. There at least has to be one crazy single person to spice up the party.

Sometimes I feel the only singles who have it good are single females. Being a single man sort of sucks, unless you are pretty attractive. I'm working on my body a lot at the gym lately as a result (i'd be lying if i don't admit the main reason I go to the gym is female attention), though after I get over this arm injury i'm going back!

I remember going out with a load of my friends after exams, at one point in the night there was literally just a line of them all getting off with people. I just decided ''**** this'' and got a cab home on my own :pierre:

I couldn't care less about getting laid if i'm honest with you, what really sucks is feeling so lonely whilst all of my friends are really happy with someone. As I said before, it just makes me feel really inferior.
Original post by elpistolero7
Dude, relax. You don't need a relationship to be happy. If you're struggling with the sexless bit, get hammered on a few nights out, you'll find someone to do :tongue:.

If all fails, masturbate furiously using your tears as lube.

You made me choke on my coke...
It annoys me at times that a lot of people are in a relationships and I'm not. I've been thinking about it a lot recently and I've got a bit down about it occasionally :frown: but it's okay for the most part.
Original post by Zarek

Been where you are. Actually reckon its really common. The only answer is persistence and patience. Things eventually come good and you can make up for lost time. In parallel new hobbies - preferably with target rich environments - and lots of beer help.

Creepy A F, pal.
By realising that being in a relationship is a waste of youth. It's unlikely a relationship is going to last forever, and they're extremely time consuming and emotionally draining.

/bad at explaining today/

Anyway getting no business is not to do with a relationship so.
Reply 16
Original post by datpiff

Get yourself in different social circles man, meet some new people :wink:
By not caring, not a big deal

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Creepy A F, pal.

Just my flippant turn of phrase. Don't you ever search out target rich environments ?
Original post by Zarek
Just my flippant turn of phrase. Don't you ever search out target rich environments ?

Nope :u:

No point when your chances are at 0.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending