The Student Room Group

Starting uni at 22.

Well, I'm about to start University in London in about 3 weeks time, and as its coming closer, I'm a bit nervous about the whole age thing. I'll be, on average 3-4 years older than most of my classmates. In terms of being social and outgoing, I don't think I'll have many issues, but I wanted to get people's opinions on older/mature students fitting in.

I'm 22 and look my age (unless I don't shave for 2 weeks and then I look 2 years older :redface:). So, TSR users (those who've been older when they started uni, and those who've known older students during their time at uni), do older students stick out/have issues blending in/are left out?

Anon please.

Thanks to those who take the time to respond :smile:
At 22, I doubt anyone will even realise that you're older.

I started uni at 23 and even the people who knew how old I was didn't treat me any differently.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Well, I'm about to start University in London in about 3 weeks time, and as its coming closer, I'm a bit nervous about the whole age thing. I'll be, on average 3-4 years older than most of my classmates. In terms of being social and outgoing, I don't think I'll have many issues, but I wanted to get people's opinions on older/mature students fitting in.

I'm 22 and look my age (unless I don't shave for 2 weeks and then I look 2 years older :redface:). So, TSR users (those who've been older when they started uni, and those who've known older students during their time at uni), do older students stick out/have issues blending in/are left out?

Anon please.

Thanks to those who take the time to respond :smile:

Was 21 when I started university, nobody asks or anything so if you don't mention it they 100% won't even know. Even if they did know they probably wouldn't give two ****s brah.

Also don't worry about the shaving thing! There are plenty of 18 year olds with hench beards.
Reply 3
Thanks for the responses guys. Anyone else care to share their experiences?
Oh wow so we r mature students lol, I'm 23 now I feel old, people didn't really treat me different and no1 really believed my age .
At 22, I doubt anyone will notice the age difference unless you tell them.

I started university at 31 and I haven't really had any problems. No one seems to care about my age and were often surprised when I mentioned it. Yeah, I probably don't have the wild social life that most 19-20 year olds do, but I don't really care. I sit around with my fellow mature students during our hardcore drinking sessions (*) and start sentences with "Back in my day....".

(*) that is tea drinking, not alcohol.
Reply 6
Original post by Quantex
At 22, I doubt anyone will notice the age difference unless you tell them.

I started university at 31 and I haven't really had any problems. No one seems to care about my age and were often surprised when I mentioned it. Yeah, I probably don't have the wild social life that most 19-20 year olds do, but I don't really care. I sit around with my fellow mature students during our hardcore drinking sessions (*) and start sentences with "Back in my day....".

(*) that is tea drinking, not alcohol.

:biggrin: class.
Reply 7
Original post by Omega3!
Was 21 when I started university, nobody asks or anything so if you don't mention it they 100% won't even know. Even if they did know they probably wouldn't give two ****s brah.

Also don't worry about the shaving thing! There are plenty of 18 year olds with hench beards.

Same, I started uni at 21 last year, going into my second year aged 22. Have to agree with this quote.

Except the 18 year olds with beards thing, they are pathetic at growing facial hair.
Reply 8
Anyone else?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending