The Student Room Group

What's your Vegetarian diet like?

I need a very healthy vegetarian/vegan meal plan for going to the gym.

Appreciate the help :smile:
Reply 1
I've been a vegetarian since birth (both my parents are veggie, so it makes sense they raised me as one too!).

If you're transitioning to a vegetarian diet from being a meaty, I'd do it gradually. Cut one one meat product, then another a bit later on, then another, etc. That way you won't freak your body out and your digestive system will be less likely to go a bit funny too

I get most of my protein from Quorn/Linda McCartney products, tofu (my personal fave being smoked, tastes a lot nicer than just plain tofu although you can flavour it yourself if you wanna get fancy!), eggs, cheese and nuts. You can get protein from other dairy foods like milk, but I've recently change from consuming dairy milk to having Alpro Soya/Alpro Almond because I want to reduce my lactose intake...plus it won't have hormones from the cow in it, and it's lower in fat! (Also, most soya/dairy alternative milks have essential vitamins, calcium etc added into it anyways, so you won't be missing out on nutrients).

I eat a lot of whole wheat/whole grain food, like brown bread, brown rice, cereal (fortified cereal is the best, e.g. cereal that's had iron and vitamins added to it). And a lot of green leafy veg, as they have a lot of iron in them; and you need this since you're not eating meat anymore. Also, I know a lot of people don't like it, but Marmite is really great for vegetarians as it has vitamin B12 in it, which is really important but mainly found in meat...so Marmite is a good choice if you like it!

I could probably go on for ages, but in short; make sure you're getting enough protein, complex carbohydrates (it makes longer lasting energy, rather than just quick carbs that make you crash out), and iron. You could even nip into Holland & Barrett and ask about supplements just to make sure you're not missing out on anything (I take iron & vit C), the people in there are actually really knowledgeable!
It's the same as a non-veggie diet except I eat a LOT of eggs, drink a LOT of milk, and I replace my meat with tofu and quorn type products usually.
Reply 3
Didn't you pretty much ask this question a few days ago?
Reply 4
chicken and rice
Reply 5
I typically eat a lot of dairy and calorie dense foods like granola. Cheese, yoghurt, milk, etc. I try to increase calories where I can. Today for example looks like:

1st breakfast: bowl of granola with whole milk, bottle of water

2nd breakfast: tomato and mozzarella wrap, whole milk hot chocolate

3rd breakfast: fruit salad

Lunch: brie and grape sandwich, vegetable sushi

1st afternoon snack: blueberry and raspberry yoghurt with granola

2nd afternoon snack: whole milk whey protein shake

Dinner: quorn, 1 bell pepper, 1 onion, rice, and a cooking sauce I've yet to choose

Evening snack: yet to decide :h:

Quick Reply

Latest