The Student Room Group

Three A-Levels in One Year; Possible?

Hey guys. I'm a seventeen-year-old boy currently living in Syria. I've just done my igcse examinations and came out pretty average (1 A*, 3 A's, 3 B's) but I wasn't complaining as I hadn't opened a book all year long.
This year I plan to get down to work and have decided to do three A-Levels..all in one year. The thing is, my school does A-Levels all in the space of one year (AS+A2), so I'm left with no choice. There's a shortage of teachers at our school due to the country's situation so I'll have to completely study History on my own (I've purchased all the books). The two other A-Levels I'm doing are Economics & Maths.

I'm willing to dedicate 7-9 hours a day from now till May/June to achieve this. I know I shouldn't be aiming too high, so I'll settle for BBB, but anything higher I'll gladly accept.

You must be thinking by now, "But what's the question? What's the point in all this babbling?" Do YOU personally think I can achieve this on my own? I just need to know what I'm getting myself into. I believe in myself but I wouldn't mind some opinions here and there, no matter what your views are.
Original post by Abdo332
Hey guys. I'm a seventeen-year-old boy currently living in Syria. I've just done my igcse examinations and came out pretty average (1 A*, 3 A's, 3 B's) but I wasn't complaining as I hadn't opened a book all year long.
This year I plan to get down to work and have decided to do three A-Levels..all in one year. The thing is, my school does A-Levels all in the space of one year (AS+A2), so I'm left with no choice. There's a shortage of teachers at our school due to the country's situation so I'll have to completely study History on my own (I've purchased all the books). The two other A-Levels I'm doing are Economics & Maths.

I'm willing to dedicate 7-9 hours a day from now till May/June to achieve this. I know I shouldn't be aiming too high, so I'll settle for BBB, but anything higher I'll gladly accept.

You must be thinking by now, "But what's the question? What's the point in all this babbling?" Do YOU personally think I can achieve this on my own? I just need to know what I'm getting myself into. I believe in myself but I wouldn't mind some opinions here and there, no matter what your views are.

It's possible to do 3 full A Levels in one year, but I certainly wouldn't wish that on anyone. It's an absolutely massive amount of work and especially if you're self studying, it's going to be incredibly hard. Maths is probably relatively fine to self teach, my bigger concern would be History and Economics. As I've said, it is theoretically possible, but it really depends on how good you are and how dedicated you're willing to be. If you're bright and you devote yourself to it then yes, I think you could probably pull it off. Best of luck, seriously!
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
It's possible to do 3 full A Levels in one year, but I certainly wouldn't wish that on anyone. It's an absolutely massive amount of work and especially if you're self studying, it's going to be incredibly hard. Maths is probably relatively fine to self teach, my bigger concern would be History and Economics. As I've said, it is theoretically possible, but it really depends on how good you are and how dedicated you're willing to be. If you're bright and you devote yourself to it then yes, I think you could probably pull it off. Best of luck, seriously!

thanks bud, appreciate it! and I'm sorry for not being clear, I have teachers for Maths & Econ, I'll only be self studying history. :smile:
Original post by Abdo332
thanks bud, appreciate it! and I'm sorry for not being clear, I have teachers for Maths & Econ, I'll only be self studying history. :smile:

Ah okay. Well I've not taken History myself but if you're good and you've got the right resources, you might well be fine.
Since you have support for maths and economics you should be okay in those. If you're self studying history, I would treat it as a hobby, and enjoy the opportunity to learn about people's lives. Good luck.
Reply 5
Economics is very synoptic - You learn A2, you probably know 90% of AS as well.

Maths is quite straight forward and progressive too. History will probably be the toughest obstacle, but more than doable.

I know that TSR has loads of resources for economics + maths, which will be handy if you get stuck :wink: History slightly harder since not everyone learns the same thing, but im sure you'll find at least somebody!
Reply 6
Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciate it!
Reply 7
I did economics in one year, was easy if I'm being honest. Maths can be done. History is the toughest one in the list, if you really like the subject and are willing to put the work in, it's doable. You should use the online resources and help

Good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by i360
I did economics in one year, was easy if I'm being honest. Maths can be done. History is the toughest one in the list, if you really like the subject and are willing to put the work in, it's doable. You should use the online resources and help

Good luck!

Thanks for the input!

Quick Reply

Latest