The Student Room Group

So nervous about starting uni that I feel like throwing up? :(

I'm not even staying in halls. I'm commuting but the thing that worries me the most is not making friends as i'm quite shy when meeting new people. I'm outgoing once people get to know me but i'm absolutely dreading the first week and cant sleep at night just thinking about it. What do I do :'(

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Put yourself out of your comfort zone for one week, just one week and you'll have a blast.

Especially since you're commuting, you gotta put extra effort.
Reply 3
Original post by bittr n swt
Put yourself out of your comfort zone for one week, just one week and you'll have a blast.

Especially since you're commuting, you gotta put extra effort.

How can i put myself out of my comfort zone? I'm honestly very, very, very nervous that its ridiculous
one word - alcohol
even in the morning if you *really* need a social/confidence boost
Original post by That_Hijabi
How can i put myself out of my comfort zone? I'm honestly very, very, very nervous that its ridiculous

I'm commuting but it will honestly not be THAT bad. Put yourself out of your comfort zone by getting involved more :smile: (I can't say much as I'm kinda nervous but I'm hoping to join a society and meet some people etc. that way).

Be nice be friendly.
Go up to people and introduce yourself. They won't be annoyed they'll be happy. Everyone is in the same boat. Go to as many fresher events as you can!

Original post by treejoe4
430 blaze it

Lol this man knows
Original post by zippity.doodah
one word - alcohol
even in the morning if you *really* need a social/confidence boost

She's a Muslim though...
I'm not even staying in halls. I'm commuting but the thing that worries me the most is not making friends as i'm quite shy when meeting new people. I'm outgoing once people get to know me but i'm absolutely dreading the first week and cant sleep at night just thinking about it. What do I do :'(

Which university are you going to?
She's a Muslim though...

are you saying that all muslims are none-alcohol drinkers? I know muslims that drink - I even know jews (or just one jew) that eat(s) pork, and I know christians that still eat shell fish.
Be nice be friendly.
Go up to people and introduce yourself. They won't be annoyed they'll be happy. Everyone is in the same boat. Go to as many fresher events as you can!

Really? They wont be annoyed?
I feel like crying sometimes because of how nevous I am but thanks, I'll take your advice on board :smile:
Soocities are you friend :smile:

I transferred unis and this year I'm commuting so I'm scared too, but if you are friendly with people and aren't standoffish you can make friends :smile:

Some of my best friends from my last course commuted and they had friends. It's not that difficult, you've just got to trust yourself and be comfortable introducing yourself :smile:
are you saying that all muslims are none-alcohol drinkers? I know muslims that drink - I even know jews (or just one jew) that eat(s) pork, and I know christians that still eat shell fish.

I dont drink

Original post by Mclaren96
Which university are you going to?

Kings
I dont drink

is there a rational reason for that? have you not liked alcohol in the past or are you just saying no because something is forcing you to without any kind of modern-day rationale?
Original post by Rosasaurr
Soocities are you friend :smile:

I transferred unis and this year I'm commuting so I'm scared too, but if you are friendly with people and aren't standoffish you can make friends :smile:

Some of my best friends from my last course commuted and they had friends. It's not that difficult, you've just got to trust yourself and be comfortable introducing yourself :smile:

How do people come across as stand offish?

Thanks for the society advice. How many socs do u recommend joining?
Reply 15

Because they are not practicing
They pick n choose
is there a rational reason for that? have you not liked alcohol in the past or are you just saying no because something is forcing you to without any kind of modern-day rationale?

Rationale reason? Dude let it go.
Reply 17

Religion isn't suppose to be rational

It just IS
Rationale reason? Dude let it go.

1) rational*
2) let what go?
Original post by AnharM
She's a hijabi, don't even bring up alcohol in this thread...:facepalm:

yeah but her parents won't be there at uni to force her to not drink like they do to make her wear the hijab

Quick Reply

Latest