The Student Room Group

Help, module grades?

I was thinking of applying to UCL and St andrews to do physics (other grades are fine), Although i obtained an A at AS for maths i might have a problem:
Statistics 92/100 ums A
core 1 89/100 ums A
core 2 66/100 ums C

so yeah will i most likely be accepted even though i got a C in core 2?
Original post by Chung224
I was thinking of applying to UCL and St andrews to do physics (other grades are fine), Although i obtained an A at AS for maths i might have a problem:
Statistics 92/100 ums A
core 1 89/100 ums A
core 2 66/100 ums C

so yeah will i most likely be accepted even though i got a C in core 2?

You don't have to put module grades on your UCAS application... They won't know about C2 if you don't tell them. If you have any standout module grades (full marks) those can be mentioned in your reference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
You wont have a problem with these unis as they dont ask for modular scores. However what i would be more concerned about is how you will cope with A2 maths with a C in C2.
Reply 3
Original post by Sirk
You wont have a problem with these unis as they dont ask for modular scores. However what i would be more concerned about is how you will cope with A2 maths with a C in C2.

It was just a bad day for me, panicked so bad on that day:/ never really had a problem with core 2
It was just a bad day for me, panicked so bad on that day:/ never really had a problem with core 2

Are you going to resit core 2? You don't have to tell them what your module results are, but you absolutely have to tell them whether you are resitting any modules next year.
Reply 5
Original post by Pectorac
Are you going to resit core 2? You don't have to tell them what your module results are, but you absolutely have to tell them whether you are resitting any modules next year.

Nope got an A overall so decided to leave it, has no effect on whether i get an A* next year if i resit it so I'm just going to leave it :rolleyes:
Nope got an A overall so decided to leave it, has no effect on whether i get an A* next year if i resit it so I'm just going to leave it :rolleyes:

I would strongly advise you to resit Core 2 module even though you have an 'a' average and it won't affect your chances of getting the a* however you have to take inconsideration you want to optimise the amount of UMS you have *.* you won't want to be in the predicament of ending up with a 'B' in A Level maths because of 1-2 Bad A2 Exams when you could have retaken Core 2 and gone up by 1-2 grades easy = +10-20 UMS extra which acts like a safety net.

Just my advise :wink:
Reply 7
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
I would strongly advise you to resit Core 2 module even though you have an 'a' average and it won't affect your chances of getting the a* however you have to take inconsideration you want to optimise the amount of UMS you have *.* you won't want to be in the predicament of ending up with a 'B' in A Level maths because of 1-2 Bad A2 Exams when you could have retaken Core 2 and gone up by 1-2 grades easy = +10-20 UMS extra which acts like a safety net.

Just my advise :wink:

Yeah true, think I'm just gonna risk it, I'll probably try to get 90% ums in mechanics A2 to act as a safety net so that way i can end up getting a B in one of my exams. I knew I didn't perform as well in core 2 so i just worked my butt off a week before my stats exam. So yeah if anything I'll try to do the same if not 90% in core 3 too.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah true, think I'm just gonna risk it, I'll probably try to get 90% ums in mechanics A2 to act as a safety net so that way i can end up getting a B in one of my exams. I knew I didn't perform as well in core 2 so i just worked my butt off a week before my stats exam. So yeah if anything I'll try to do the same if not 90% in core 3 too.

Good luck on your endeavour, Just make sure to leave no opportunity unfulfilled
you don't want to regret it later.
Reply 9
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Good luck on your endeavour, Just make sure to leave no opportunity unfulfilled
you don't want to regret it later.

Thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 10
Thanks for the advice :smile:

From experience, in my AS, i did C1/C2/M1. I got 93/95/80. Do not rely on mechanics to bring you up, i was the best in my set and i understand the course well and the only person in my set to get an A in the module, and it dragged me down, the amount of my friends that have B/C in AS maths because M1 was an E/D and pulled them down. After c3/c4 C2 will look so easy, M1 C3 C4 are all difficult modules, i cant express how important it is not to underestimate M1, would strongly recommend retaking C2
Reply 11
Original post by Sirk
From experience, in my AS, i did C1/C2/M1. I got 93/95/80. Do not rely on mechanics to bring you up, i was the best in my set and i understand the course well and the only person in my set to get an A in the module, and it dragged me down, the amount of my friends that have B/C in AS maths because M1 was an E/D and pulled them down. After c3/c4 C2 will look so easy, M1 C3 C4 are all difficult modules, i cant express how important it is not to underestimate M1, would strongly recommend retaking C2

hmmm ok thanks for the advice, will talk to this to my teacher :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending