The Student Room Group

Scared of missing home: advice needed QUICK

I should be leaving for university in 10 days times, my deposit on a flat is due at the end of this week but I am so unsure about whether or not to go to uni. I have chosen one that is 3 hours away, and I could have picked one that is closer to home, but the course at the one that I chose was so much better, so I went with the course. However, I am having serious doubts. I don't know if uni is for me, I have never been 100% sure, I just applied through ucas in year 13 and went from there. I didn't know whether deferring was an option, but I know there is a strong chance that If I don't go now I never will. I know what uni is what I want to do but I can't imagine being up there without my mum or dog. Im scared, and I keep crying about it. I question whether the fact that I am crying is because I don't want to go, but I don't want the fear of being homesick to stop me because then I will get no where in life. I've already met my flat mates and some people on my course via facebook, but I'm still so unsure. Are these just doubts and fears that most students have when they are moving away from home? I'm just so scared of being away from home. HELP!
If you need your mum then it would be best to give up uni and stay at home.
If you genuinely feel like crying thinking about it then don't go. Take a year out, get a job, do some things you wanna do and apply again for the university closer to home. If you think its just cold feet then I'd say go. Once you're settled you will feel so much better. 3 hours away is not far at all and you could always go home on the weekend if you felt like you'd had a bad week.
Leave your comfort zone, you can't stay at home forever.

Everyone gets nervous before doing something new and sometimes you just need to push yourself. It is really not that bad.
I think it's natural. You're doing something new and it's normal to feel nervous about the first time being away from home. When I left for boarding school I felt the same way and so did my friends. You might be upset for a bit but you'll soon learn to enjoy yourself and have fun at uni. Besides, you only live 3 hours from home you can always go back over the weekends if you're feeling very homesick.
Cut the umbilical cord and grow up; you can't stay with your mum forever
Dont a be fooucking pussy
Reply 7
I understand your concerns, and most new students will be nervous about leaving home for the first time. However, it's also important to maintain perspective; three hours is quite a small distance, from which you could easily visit home over the weekends. Also, you still have phones and Skype, so it's not being cut off from home completely.

If you're really that nervous, you could Skype every other day as a crutch if you feel you must, but you'd gradually want to decrease that to decrease dependence on home. Uni is a fantastic time to learn to be independent, but you will have to push yourself.

I would not suggest deferring by this stage, as the longer you push away these opportunities, the harder it'll be to take them up again (on a personal level). I wish you luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending