The Student Room Group

Is My Personal Statement Opening Good or Stupid

I've written a personal statement for next year, hoping to study Japanese Studies at University! I wanted to catch the readers attention in the opening by saying something kinda funny but also genuine. But I don't know if my opening is just completely stupid and a bad idea! I know that you should lay low on the jokes, but I wanted a light one to get the ball rolling.

X

Let me know if you think this is a bad move, or if you think it's fine and they'll enjoy it. Maybe give me suggestions on how to alter it too if you think it's necessary.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Well it's one thing- unusable. each PS is scanned into a plagiarism checker, which arrives at results from searching it against online and literary sources. if you submit it with this opening, it will find this thread and flag it up for plagiarism.

You now need to change everything. Deleting wont help.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChloeJM
I've written a personal statement for next year, hoping to study Japanese Studies at University! I wanted to catch the readers attention in the opening by saying something kinda funny but also genuine. But I don't know if my opening is just completely stupid and a bad idea! I know that you should lay low on the jokes, but I wanted a light one to get the ball rolling.

X

Let me know if you think this is a bad move, or if you think it's fine and they'll enjoy it. Maybe give me suggestions on how to alter it too if you think it's necessary.

Hey, I'm afraid I've edited it out as someone could steal it and use it, and you could get in trouble for plagiarism despite it being your own. Would you like this thread removed? :smile: I know you wanted advice but it's really not going to benefit you in any way having it on here :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alex347_
Well it's one thing- unusable. each PS is scanned into a plagiarism checker, which arrives at results from searching it against online and literary sources. if you submit it with this opening, it will find this thread and flag it up for plagiarism.

You now need to change ever word.

I may have saved this from happening :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
I may have saved this from happening :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah maybe but if I was the OP I wouldn't risk it. Though they could check it against I believe it's called writechecker, which is a sister of Turnitin, but doesn't add submitted texts to a database. i think you might have removed it in quick enough time though :biggrin:.
Original post by Alex347_
yeah maybe but if I was the OP I wouldn't risk it. Though they could check it against I believe it's called writechecker, which is a sister of Turnitin, but doesn't add submitted texts to a database. i think you might have removed it in quick enough time though :biggrin:.

True :redface: ooh wow, scary :eek: who knows! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I really think any thread that has Personal Statement in the title needs to be approved because this keeps happening :s-smilie:

True
:redface: ooh wow, scary :eek: who knows! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Google's cache shows nothing; yay! :biggrin: (It quoted you twice what the ****)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Doomlar
I really think any thread that has Personal Statement in the title needs to be approved because this keeps happening :s-smilie:

Google's cache shows nothing; yay! :biggrin: (It quoted you twice what the ****)

That'd be really good actually :yep:

Wooo! :tongue: haha :colone:
Reply 8
That'd be really good actually :yep:

Wooo! :tongue: haha :colone:

Suggest suggest suggest! :biggrin: It'd help the unlucky few who don't know about the plagiarism checker, or don't realise it scans through Google :frown:
Reply 9
Hey, I'm afraid I've edited it out as someone could steal it and use it, and you could get in trouble for plagiarism despite it being your own. Would you like this thread removed? :smile: I know you wanted advice but it's really not going to benefit you in any way having it on here :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow thanks! I didn't even think about that... You can remove this thread if you want. I guess I'll ask people offline instead, much safer. Thanks again!

Before you do, can I still use the PS opening? I don't want to have to redo it! D:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChloeJM
Oh wow thanks! I didn't even think about that... You can remove this thread if you want. I guess I'll ask people offline instead, much safer. Thanks again!

Before you do, can I still use the PS opening? I don't want to have to redo it! D:

I checked Google's cache and as far as I am aware it's not on there, so you may have got lucky! I hope so anyway! :smile:
Original post by ChloeJM

No problem! :smile: that sounds like the best idea! Make sure it is someone you can trust :smile:
Original post by Doomlar
Suggest suggest suggest! :biggrin: It'd help the unlucky few who don't know about the plagiarism checker, or don't realise it scans through Google :frown:

I think it may have been suggested in the past, or something along those lines at least, but I'm not too sure :redface: definitely! :frown:
No problem! :smile: that sounds like the best idea! Make sure it is someone you can trust :smile:

I think it may have been suggested in the past, or something along those lines at least, but I'm not too sure :redface: definitely! :frown:

I think you just saved us from the apocalypse.
Reply 13

Sorry quick question. Is my PS opening still usable if you delete the thread? I don't want to have it that I use it and then I get caught for plagiarism because of this thread. I'm quite worried now.
Original post by goobypls
I think you just saved us from the apocalypse.

What can I say, I'm a hero :h:
Reply 15
Original post by Doomlar
I checked Google's cache and as far as I am aware it's not on there, so you may have got lucky! I hope so anyway! :smile:

Really?! Okay... I'm super worried that they're gonna find this thread when I post my PS!
Original post by ChloeJM
Really?! Okay... I'm super worried that they're gonna find this thread when I post my PS!

I doubt they will, maybe just alter the wording a little? :smile: I don't know the rules but maybe you could prove somehow that this is your account if it came down to it? :s-smilie:
What can I say, I'm a hero :h:

You must have guts over fear.
Reply 18
Original post by Doomlar
I doubt they will, maybe just alter the wording a little? :smile: I don't know the rules but maybe you could prove somehow that this is your account if it came down to it? :s-smilie:

Alright... Cause I'm terrified of Uni's as it is! I don't want to get in trouble with one! I'll be able to prove that this is my account I guess. >.<
Original post by ChloeJM
Alright... Cause I'm terrified of Uni's as it is! I don't want to get in trouble with one! I'll be able to prove that this is my account I guess. >.<

Good luck to you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest