The Student Room Group

Will a 'soft' AS subject stop me from getting into Russell group?

I have no choice but to pick psychology for AS level next year. I will drop it when I go on to A2. My other subjects are :

-Chemistry
-History
-English Literature

I want to study law at university, will picking a soft subject for as level affect my chances of doing law in a Russell group university?

Scroll to see replies

No.
Original post by PythianLegume
No.

^^
Original post by rosebud114
I have no choice but to pick psychology for AS level next year. I will drop it when I go on to A2. My other subjects are :

-Chemistry
-History
-English Literature

I want to study law at university, will picking a soft subject for as level affect my chances of doing law in a Russell group university?

Well if you keep at least 2 traditional subjects, no.

Stick with the three you have and pick a soft one, if won't affect your chances.
Not at all. Plus it might make you look like a strong candidate if you get straight A's, even in your weak subject.
If someone applied to the same course as you with the same subjects minus the weak subject, and in turn you apply with the same grades + an A in the weak subject, it might be the thing which makes a difference in your application!
Reply 5
Original post by Incubator
Well if you keep at least 2 traditional subjects, no.

Stick with the three you have and pick a soft one, if won't affect your chances.

Thankyou :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Not at all. Plus it might make you look like a strong candidate if you get straight A's, even in your weak subject.
If someone applied to the same course as you with the same subjects minus the weak subject, and in turn you apply with the same grades + an A in the weak subject, it might be the thing which makes a difference in your application!

Oh gosh I hope so haha. Thankyou,you have given me some relief :smile:
I did art at AS (which was actually my hardest subject in terms of workload but ah well it's still 'soft' imo) and now I'm doing physics at a russell group uni so
you'll be fine, those are good subjects
is English language considered soft?
Oh gosh I hope so haha. Thankyou,you have given me some relief :smile:

I actually did two 'weak' subjects (relatively weak) at AS: Applied ICT and English language (I don't understand how Language can be weak, it was my worst AS level IMO). I achieved 3 A's in Maths, Chemistry and Physics (these are my strong subjects) and an A and a B (possibly an A after remark) in Applied ICT and Eng Lang respectively. These might make a difference when I apply to Chemical Engineering in comparison to someone who just has Maths, Chemistry and Physics (although they might have further maths, which doesn't bother me as I'm doing the full A level next year). So yeah, I think overall offering 6 AS levels and 4 A2's puts me in an advantage compared to someone who just offers 3.
Original post by frankthebunny

Yes. Literature is strong.

-Chemistry
-History
-English Literature

Psychology isn't considered soft and won't be a walk in the park if you think it will be, by the way. Yes, it's not on the top list like English and History but it's still not soft like Sociology, Media Studies and the like.
Reply 12
Original post by hestermae
I did art at AS (which was actually my hardest subject in terms of workload but ah well it's still 'soft' imo) and now I'm doing physics at a russell group uni so
you'll be fine, those are good subjects

Ah thank you. That's the type of reply I really wanted to read:smile: all the best with the rest of your studies!
Original post by frankthebunny

No, not really, although I suppose it doesn't have quite the same allure as Literature.
Original post by JayJay-C19
Yes. Literature is strong.

Which I don't understand! I did AS lit without taking the exam (I just enjoy the subject so attend classes when I'm free just to learn but didn't take the exam as it is completely irrelevant to my degree, and do practice questions and papers with the class members) and AS language. I find Language so much harder and stressful! I achieved a B in language AS but I'm confident I would get a high A in Lit. Lit was my best IGCSE by a mile, even though I got mostly A*s at IGCSE and straight A's at AS level except for that damn B in English.
Reply 15
Original post by yellowcopter
Psychology isn't considered soft and won't be a walk in the park if you think it will be, by the way. Yes, it's not on the top list like English and History but it's still not soft like Sociology, Media Studies and the like.

Oh no never considered it to be a walk in the park. I have just read an awful lot about how the A-level is soft so I was worried that picking it may eliminate my chances.
Reply 16
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Which I don't understand! I did AS lit without taking the exam (I just enjoy the subject so attend classes when I'm free just to learn but didn't take the exam as it is completely irrelevant to my degree, and do practice questions and papers with the class members) and AS language. I find Language so much harder and stressful! I achieved a B in language AS but I'm confident I would get a high A in Lit. Lit was my best IGCSE by a mile, even though I got mostly A*s at IGCSE and straight A's at AS level except for that damn B in English.

Haha I agree with you on that one. Speaking in Gcse terms I retook my Language to receive and A and I ended up with an A* with minimal effort in Literature. But of course I will not be using that attitude when actually studying for my A-levels :smile:
Oh no never considered it to be a walk in the park. I have just read an awful lot about how the A-level is soft so I was worried that picking it may eliminate my chances.

Oh okay, it's your fourth option so you'll be fine. :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by yellowcopter
Oh okay, it's your fourth option so you'll be fine. :smile:

Thank you! and reading back to my question I can understand why you would have assumed that:smile:
Reply 19
These comments are really reassuring :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest