The Student Room Group

Buying a MacBook Pro

Hey guys so I will be starting an engineering degree in October and will be buying a MacBook Pro however I'm currently stick between the old model with disc drive and the 256gb retina model . I am hoping for some insight on this, thanks
Original post by singapaul
Hey guys so I will be starting an engineering degree in October and will be buying a MacBook Pro however I'm currently stick between the old model with disc drive and the 256gb retina model . I am hoping for some insight on this, thanks

Having both, I can tell that unless there isn't a massive price difference, the retina is better. It's more recent, so better hardware (my old Macbook Pro has 4 GB RAM and my Retina has 8 GB RAM, this might not be generic, can't remember if I asked for an improved one). I barely use disks, and there's nothing really which you can't put in a thumb drive. Disks are used rarely now, so I'd say an external disk reader will do the occasional job (I might use a disk twice a year haha, and only when I'm bored and have to do extra exercises for class which are in the textbooks' disks), whilst a Retina display is not something you can put on an old Macbook. You can really tell the difference in graphics. Plus, the newer, the better ^^
Whichever one you go for you'll want to do it soon,Apple has a really good back to school offer on at the moment but it finishes on the 9 th September.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The basic Pro is old hardware now and can be outdone by £400 Windows laptops without much difficulty. In my opinion I'd either go Retina, save yourself the cash and get a better spec Windows laptop for £4-500, or buy a more powerful Windows machine.

It is rather unlikely you'd ever need the optical disc drive on a laptop in any frequency that warrants having one built in with your laptop.

I'd take the retina display and not have to squint when you view an autocad file drawing :biggrin:
The new Pro is a much better deal.

New Pro:
Faster CPU, more RAM, insanely fast SSD, much faster graphics, 2 hours longer battery life, much lighter, higher resolution screen.

Old Pro:
More disk space, optical drive, slightly cheaper.
Reply 6
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
The new Pro is a much better deal.

New Pro:
Faster CPU, more RAM, insanely fast SSD, much faster graphics, 2 hours longer battery life, much lighter, higher resolution screen.

Old Pro:
More disk space, optical drive, slightly cheaper.

My biggest concern is only having 256gb of storage, things like iTunes library is 50gb
My biggest concern is only having 256gb of storage, things like iTunes library is 50gb

Yeah that's the downside of the new Pro. Most people use it with an external hard drive.

You can upgrade it to 512GB, but that's not cheap by any stretch of imagination.
I think 256GB is the sweet spot for SSDs. Any more and you're going to put more stuff than you actually need on it, any less and you won't have enough and will have to use external drives unnecessarily.
Reply 9
If I'm not mistaken Apple have an offer whereby if you buy before the 9th you get a £60 voucher. You could use this toward a thunderbolt drive and that would work out cheaper than upgrading to the 512 gig hard drive?
I think there's a cheaper external hd on the online store too.
Not sure if this helps? I'm also looking to get a mac, I'm doing Building Surveying though so I expect I'll only really need the MacBook Air :smile:
Reply 10
for real you won't find a windows laptop for 500 with better specs than a macbook pro retina *just saying*
Original post by agukn
for real you won't find a windows laptop for 500 with better specs than a macbook pro retina *just saying*

I know, I said I was talking about the basic, non-retina Pro.
I ended up buying a Windows HP Pavilion 1GB RAM.. I decided I needed some money for basic necessities, especially during my first few months as the money will be tight, if I don't get given a scholarship.
Original post by Anonynous
I ended up buying a Windows HP Pavilion 1GB RAM.. I decided I needed some money for basic necessities, especially during my first few months as the money will be tight, if I don't get given a scholarship.

Good choice, most engineering software are only created for Windows, you would of had to partition your drive and run BootCamp on Mac to run windows.
Original post by Anonynous

Dayum. I hope you didn't pay much for it.
Original post by Camoxide
Dayum. I hope you didn't pay much for it.

I meant 8gb lmao, and I paid 270 :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending