The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

What is the university of Herfordshire really like?

Hey, I had to go though clearing this year and got a place at two unis I ended up choosing Hertfordshire but I don't know that much about it... On the clearing open day I arrived super late and didn't get to see any of the lecture theatres or labs (as I want to study psychology) and I wasn't too fond of the area. I'm considering retaking the year but I want to keep moving forward. If anyone knows anything about this uni that could help I would appreciate it, thanks :smile:
Reply 1
What kind of things do you want to know? I'm returning for my 3rd year this month so I know a few things about Herts :smile: (you'll love it!)
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
omg i am literally in the exact same situation as you. i went through clearing and got two choices and ended up going with herts. i didn't really like the area either, but I guess its not too difficult to get the train to london (and if you get a travel card its really cheap too) and then theres st.albans and wellyn garden city. im the same, i wanted to retake aswell but my college didn't allow it. so yeah also 'keep moving forward' ha. i went to the clearing day but i didn't see the lecture theatres that well (we got showed one in the atrium but the lights weren't turned on so i didn't see much of that lol
Reply 3
Original post by florencecheese
omg i am literally in the exact same situation as you. i went through clearing and got two choices and ended up going with herts. i didn't really like the area either, but I guess its not too difficult to get the train to london (and if you get a travel card its really cheap too) and then theres st.albans and wellyn garden city. im the same, i wanted to retake aswell but my college didn't allow it. so yeah also 'keep moving forward' ha. i went to the clearing day but i didn't see the lecture theatres that well (we got showed one in the atrium but the lights weren't turned on so i didn't see much of that lol

Yea no-one goes into Hatfield town for a day out haha! There's the galleria which has a cinema, loads of restaurants, coffee shops and some shops. It's ok but not amazing. Every time my friends and I have gone out for the day we either went to London (20 minutes to Kings Cross) or to St Albans.
thanks lilnykci. thats what i was thinking would happen. I went round the galleria after the open day, I liked that when you walk closer in to the cinema you can smell popcorn lol! and then I checked out st.albans and it seemed nice sort of like winchester if you've ever been there?. to be honest, no complaints with being close to london, where I live now is really far away from it!!

can i ask some more questions?
do you think hatfield is a ok area? what kind of vibe does the university have (like the vibe of the students, the staff and the area)?? and is there like part job oppotunities? thank you !!
Reply 5
Original post by florencecheese
thanks lilnykci. thats what i was thinking would happen. I went round the galleria after the open day, I liked that when you walk closer in to the cinema you can smell popcorn lol! and then I checked out st.albans and it seemed nice sort of like winchester if you've ever been there?. to be honest, no complaints with being close to london, where I live now is really far away from it!!

can i ask some more questions?
do you think hatfield is a ok area? what kind of vibe does the university have (like the vibe of the students, the staff and the area)?? and is there like part job oppotunities? thank you !!

I've never been to Winchester, sorry! St Albans is a lovely place though :smile:

Hatfield isn't that bad... there isn't really much to it though. There's the uni, the galleria (shopping centre- pretty average but it has a good cinema and a few restaurants), and asda. Hatfield town centre is ok, nothing too special, you'd find normal stuff like a Boots and some banks.

I'm not sure how to explain a vibe but the campuses have a nice atmosphere. I study on de hav and it's pretty modern and open plan which is good. You'll find a lot of people in the library which gives it a nice buzz, and there's also silent rooms if you prefer that instead. The staff on my course are absolutely amazing, I know I can email them any time and they'll always reply. I can't guarantee that your lecturers will be like that though!

If you're looking for a job take a look at the student union website as there's normally stuff advertised on there. Or you can apply for asda, mcdonalds, on campus shops etc

Ask as many questions as you like :smile:
Reply 6
Herts sounds so dead, any parties in halls?
Reply 7
Just wondering, what travel card is best to get to London and how far are the campuses to the railway stations ?
Original post by Fatz26
Just wondering, what travel card is best to get to London and how far are the campuses to the railway stations ?

I don't know about the travel card I'm afraid, but if you're planning to go to London a lot I would recommend a 16-25 railcard, has saved me so much money on train fares.

The train station is 15 mins or so on a bus, or like a 5/6 min drive (don't know exactly for college lane, but it won't be that different). Though there is a local taxi company which will do almost any journey from Hatfield - Hatfield for £3.50, which could also be an option. I did have a house mate who would walk to the station every time he was going to work, but I normally just pay the 3.50.
Original post by dean01234
I don't know about the travel card I'm afraid, but if you're planning to go to London a lot I would recommend a 16-25 railcard, has saved me so much money on train fares.

The train station is 15 mins or so on a bus, or like a 5/6 min drive (don't know exactly for college lane, but it won't be that different). Though there is a local taxi company which will do almost any journey from Hatfield - Hatfield for £3.50, which could also be an option. I did have a house mate who would walk to the station every time he was going to work, but I normally just pay the 3.50.

:redface: De Hav also has an excellent off peak bus service in the form of the UNO 607; this runs every 30mins outside normal peak and daytime hours ( during which it is every 20mins) and is the only later evening and all day Sunday service to/from the de Hav vicinity/ rail station that runs at 30min intervals, leaving the station (temporary stop on the same side of and to the left of the station) at 05 and 35 mins past each hour until 23.05.

During the day it can be caught/alighted from at the `temporary flag` bus stop in Albatross Way, the road running along the rear of the Halls and the stop is almost opposite car park 2 gates at the back of The Law School. Journey time from the station via The Garden Villages/ Business Park/Salisbury Village ( where a lot of students reside) around 15-18mins, to the station around 10. By the way, the timetable on this stop is out of date and is only correct for the 30min evening and Sunday/BH 607 service. I have pointed this at least twice in as many years to Herts CC, to be told it would be "passed on to relevant officers" which seems as far as it`s got.

After 20.00 Mon-Fris and 19.00 weekends, it travels via the main De Hav bus interchange by The Sports Village returning to the station via The Comet, Galleria, Cavendish Way/ town centre. Make use of this evening and Sunday/B holiday service or lose it, like we almost did in the last cull of bus services three years ago: you may also care to note the Sunday evening service was off the road for six months until the U of H agreed to underwrite UNO to run it, in which time the mini-cabs stopped the cheap fares, only to reinstate them when the bus came back on again.........

Timetable info is available at www.unobus.info

Herts CC also have their own timetable/transport info. site www.intalink.org.uk which gives all bus and train times in Hertfordshire.

Let me know if this helps.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending