The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Help?

Hey guys :smile:
I am applying to study a vocational course at university more specifically, Occupational Therapy.
I have recently written my first draft of my personal statement and I sent it off to my Health and Social Lecturer who told me that I should remove some of volunteering and instead write about my college study, my A Levels and how they equipped me with the skills for university is this advised?

The reason I am asking is that I have heard that especially for vocational subjects such as mine, the only time a person should talk about their A Level studies is if they have nothing more to write and for the record, I have enough work experience, volunteering, EC's and employment to fill up the 47 lines?
Any help would be gratefully appreciated
Thank you in advance :smile:
Your lecturer is wrong.

Even in academic PSs writing about how A levels equip you with skills for uni is a complete waste of time - the content will be the same for every single applicant with those A levels and so is FAR from being personal or useful to admissions staff.

Stick with your instincts - if they kick up a stink show them http://university.which.co.uk/advice/your-ucas-personal-statement-10-more-things-not-to-put-in and http://university.which.co.uk/advice/personal-statement-advice-physiotherapy-students (although that's for PT not OT the advice for both is similar).
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Your lecturer is wrong.

Even in academic PSs writing about how A levels equip you with skills for uni is a complete waste of time - the content will be the same for every single applicant with those A levels and so is FAR from being personal or useful to admissions staff.

Stick with your instincts - if they kick up a stink show them http://university.which.co.uk/advice/your-ucas-personal-statement-10-more-things-not-to-put-in and http://university.which.co.uk/advice/personal-statement-advice-physiotherapy-students (although that's for PT not OT the advice for both is similar).

Thank you so much, this was really a great help. Out of interest, would writing about my A Levels have/add any value to my personal statement at all, because some of the topics I learnt in my A Level subject relate to Occupational Therapy?
Or would it be more relevant to talk about all the volunteering/work experience/ ecs etc. instead? Because the problem being is that I have a lot to talk about on my personal statement and only 47 lines to write it in and I am sure that I could fill the 47 lines with everything practical I have done? I just want to know whether I should prioritise my last 5 lines to my newest volunteering position or to prioritising it to talking about my A Level subjects and how they relate to Occupational Therapy?

So in summary (because this was really unclear):
-Thank you for the information you have provided.
-Does talking about my A Level Subjects in any way have any value on a personal statement particularly if they relate to Occupational Therapy?
- I have 5 lines left of my personal statement, should I use those five lines to talk about my newest volunteering position or my A Level Studies?

Thank for the help in advance :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LouieSax

So in summary (because this was really unclear):
-Thank you for the information you have provided.
-Does talking about my A Level Subjects in any way have any value on a personal statement particularly if they relate to Occupational Therapy?
- I have 5 lines left of my personal statement, should I use those five lines to talk about my newest volunteering position or my A Level Studies?

Thank for the help in advance :smile:

In a vocational personal statement, the most emphasis is placed on work experience etc. However, it's also important that everything involved is related to the subject you want to study. Your volunteering is probably more relevant than your A-levels, however, you mention discussing ECs as well. If some of these are basically unrelated to Occupational Therapy (e.g. being a prefect), it may be worth cutting these down/cutting them entirely so that you can include some mentions of the section of your A-levels that is relevant.

For courses like Occupational Therapy, some universities will have some guidance about the PS on their website. Make sure you check this for the universities you are thinking of applying to, and focus on their advice, not that of your college tutors.

In my opinion, explaining the skills your A-levels have given you is basically a waste of characters. All university lecturers are basically aware of the skills that A-levels give students, and of course it's not something that is unique to you. However, discussing "Topic X furthered my interest in Occupational Therapy because..." can add value to your personal statement- but only after you've discussed all the relevant volunteering/work experience you want to improve.
Reply 4
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
In a vocational personal statement, the most emphasis is placed on work experience etc. However, it's also important that everything involved is related to the subject you want to study. Your volunteering is probably more relevant than your A-levels, however, you mention discussing ECs as well. If some of these are basically unrelated to Occupational Therapy (e.g. being a prefect), it may be worth cutting these down/cutting them entirely so that you can include some mentions of the section of your A-levels that is relevant.

For courses like Occupational Therapy, some universities will have some guidance about the PS on their website. Make sure you check this for the universities you are thinking of applying to, and focus on their advice, not that of your college tutors.

In my opinion, explaining the skills your A-levels have given you is basically a waste of characters. All university lecturers are basically aware of the skills that A-levels give students, and of course it's not something that is unique to you. However, discussing "Topic X furthered my interest in Occupational Therapy because..." can add value to your personal statement- but only after you've discussed all the relevant volunteering/work experience you want to improve.

OK Thank you so very much, this has helped such a great deal in terms of my extra cirriculars though I've only used up four lines, is this too much? I've discussed that in my free time I attend martial arts classes and am a chief Instructor, I then related this to my course, would this be OK?
Thanks for the help guys :smile:
Original post by LouieSax
OK Thank you so very much, this has helped such a great deal in terms of my extra cirriculars though I've only used up four lines, is this too much? I've discussed that in my free time I attend martial arts classes and am a chief Instructor, I then related this to my course, would this be OK?
Thanks for the help guys :smile:

That sounds like it would be fine in terms of discussing your extra curricular activities. The usual advice is no more than 25% of the statement to discuss ECs and I can see how that could provide you with skills relevant to the course. However, if you wanted to cut down in favour of discussing your A-levels, I think that would be OK too. The personal statement is meant to be personal to you and no single sentence is going to make the difference between being accepted and being rejected.
Reply 6
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
That sounds like it would be fine in terms of discussing your extra curricular activities. The usual advice is no more than 25% of the statement to discuss ECs and I can see how that could provide you with skills relevant to the course. However, if you wanted to cut down in favour of discussing your A-levels, I think that would be OK too. The personal statement is meant to be personal to you and no single sentence is going to make the difference between being accepted and being rejected.

OK thank you very much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending