The Student Room Group

Odds of guessing the consecutive correct card in a deck?

So a few years ago, somehow ended up sitting at the table, little Bro standing across the room with a deck of shuffled cards facing him, and I had to guess the card.

What are the odds of guessing:

Correct suit + value 3 times consecutively
4th card, I only got one part right, can't remember which xD

What are the odds of this?
Reply 1
Original post by Main Reactor
So a few years ago, somehow ended up sitting at the table, little Bro standing across the room with a deck of shuffled cards facing him, and I had to guess the card.

What are the odds of guessing:

Correct suit + value 3 times consecutively
4th card, I only got one part right, can't remember which xD

What are the odds of this?

Assuming the cards weren't replaced each time:

52 cards in a pack so first guess is a 1/52 chance.

2nd guess there's 51 cards so a 1/51 chance

3rd guess there's a 1/50 chance.

The three guesses are independent so you can multiply the probabilities to find the total probability:

1/52 x 1/51 x 1/50 = 1/132600

That's similar to the odds of dying by being bitten by a dog. So luckily for you, since these cards came up, you're not going to be killed by a dog.
Original post by notnek
So luckily for you, since these cards came up, you're not going to be killed by a dog.

#Logic #Maths
Reply 3
Original post by notnek
Assuming the cards weren't replaced each time:

52 cards in a pack so first guess is a 1/52 chance.

2nd guess there's 51 cards so a 1/51 chance

3rd guess there's a 1/50 chance.

The three guesses are independent so you can multiply the probabilities to find the total probability:

1/52 x 1/51 x 1/50 = 1/132600

That's similar to the odds of dying by being bitten by a dog. So luckily for you, since these cards came up, you're not going to be killed by a dog.

:noway:, that can't be right...? Can it?

Haha! Actually... I nearly got bit by a crazed dog about a month ago! Lucky for me I was wearing two pairs of trousers that night! (don't ask)

Cheers Mike!
(edited 9 years ago)
Literally just guessed 17 in a row. Cant do it again but what are the odds on 17 in a row?

Quick Reply

Latest