The Student Room Group

Science based EPQ!

Has anyone done the edexcel EPQ project and has a decent amount of knowledge about it?
i have not been given a mentor and I found out that our essay is meant to be pretty much complete by the end of the holidays! I've got my ideas and done some research I only have a few days
i just need some guidance! Please thanks!
Original post by Anon12345678
Has anyone done the edexcel EPQ project and has a decent amount of knowledge about it?
i have not been given a mentor and I found out that our essay is meant to be pretty much complete by the end of the holidays! I've got my ideas and done some research I only have a few days
i just need some guidance! Please thanks!

Hi,

I did edexcel EPQ. I really enjoyed it. I have a fairly good knowledge of it. Depends what you want to know. I did a dissertation, which was made up of an abstract, introduction, discussion, evaluation, conclusion and appendix :h:

It took me quite a while to do, but if you really stick with it for a few hours each day it's fairly quick to complete.

I did it on a science based subject, and usually if you're going for a science based subject, a dissertation is easier (i.e no primary research). Otherwise you can do an investigation with questionnaires, interviews and stuff. But rarely will you get a science topic where they would be relevant, unless you do a controversial topic and ask for opinions or something.

Start by brainstorming the subject you want to do, what interests you. Try to find topics that aren't too specific (you'll have no research) or that are too broad. I made the mistake of going with a subject that was far too broad, and it meant that I didn't get much time to dedicate to each individual part of the topic. That made the workload so much bigger, because I had to try to condense way to much information into my dissertation. Long story short - if it seems like there is really varied research, try to form a project that is a little more specific. It'll really help you :h:

As you brainstorm research the topics. You'll need at least 20 sources, from books, journals, websites, documentaries. The bigger the variety of sources the better. I used multiple documentaries, science journals as well as plenty of websites. I did nearly 40 sources I think, due to the size of my project.

Something to keep in mind is - make sure you're actually interested in the topic. Otherwise you really won't want to do it. I absolutely loved the topic I did. It was something I already knew a lot about, and I wanted to find out more. It really helped that I knew a lot about the topic, because when it came to my presentation at the end of the year, I could answer people's questions. I had about 20 questions asked after my presentation, and I could answer them all at ease cause I knew so much about it. And I was passionate about it :smile:

Ok I've rambled on quite a bit. PM me or ask here if you want more info. I'll be happy to help :biggrin:
Original post by Tillybop
Hi,

I did edexcel EPQ. I really enjoyed it. I have a fairly good knowledge of it. Depends what you want to know. I did a dissertation, which was made up of an abstract, introduction, discussion, evaluation, conclusion and appendix :h:

It took me quite a while to do, but if you really stick with it for a few hours each day it's fairly quick to complete.

I did it on a science based subject, and usually if you're going for a science based subject, a dissertation is easier (i.e no primary research). Otherwise you can do an investigation with questionnaires, interviews and stuff. But rarely will you get a science topic where they would be relevant, unless you do a controversial topic and ask for opinions or something.

Start by brainstorming the subject you want to do, what interests you. Try to find topics that aren't too specific (you'll have no research) or that are too broad. I made the mistake of going with a subject that was far too broad, and it meant that I didn't get much time to dedicate to each individual part of the topic. That made the workload so much bigger, because I had to try to condense way to much information into my dissertation. Long story short - if it seems like there is really varied research, try to form a project that is a little more specific. It'll really help you :h:

As you brainstorm research the topics. You'll need at least 20 sources, from books, journals, websites, documentaries. The bigger the variety of sources the better. I used multiple documentaries, science journals as well as plenty of websites. I did nearly 40 sources I think, due to the size of my project.

Something to keep in mind is - make sure you're actually interested in the topic. Otherwise you really won't want to do it. I absolutely loved the topic I did. It was something I already knew a lot about, and I wanted to find out more. It really helped that I knew a lot about the topic, because when it came to my presentation at the end of the year, I could answer people's questions. I had about 20 questions asked after my presentation, and I could answer them all at ease cause I knew so much about it. And I was passionate about it :smile:

Ok I've rambled on quite a bit. PM me or ask here if you want more info. I'll be happy to help :biggrin:

Wow you have been so so helpful
I am just stuck on where to start!

When you say abstract what do you mean?
I've also heard lots of people using the term literature review but I have no idea what that means either! Haha

Thanks so much for your help
Greatly appreciated :smile:
Wow you have been so so helpful
I am just stuck on where to start!

When you say abstract what do you mean?
I've also heard lots of people using the term literature review but I have no idea what that means either! Haha

Thanks so much for your help
Greatly appreciated :smile:

No problem :h:

You start with researching the information that you need, and see if you have enough. And then start to form a hypothesis or question around what you have found. Then you can analyse the research and you can use it to start the essay.

The abstract will sound confusing. It goes at the start of the essay, but you do it last. It is almost like a summary or blurb of what happens in the entire essay. So you write it last, and it kinda gives the rest of the essay away. Only about 150-200 words. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
No problem :h:

You start with researching the information that you need, and see if you have enough. And then start to form a hypothesis or question around what you have found. Then you can analyse the research and you can use it to start the essay.

The abstract will sound confusing. It goes at the start of the essay, but you do it last. It is almost like a summary or blurb of what happens in the entire essay. So you write it last, and it kinda gives the rest of the essay away. Only about 150-200 words. :smile:

thanks that really cleared things up! :smile: last question i promise but what is the literature review? is it a part of the essay? thanks so much for your help
thanks that really cleared things up! :smile: last question i promise but what is the literature review? is it a part of the essay? thanks so much for your help

The literature review is after the intro, before the discussion (I think, I'll check that for you in a bit :smile:)

It's where you write about the sources you have used. I can't remember exactly what you need to write about them. So I'll check that for you :h:

I believe it does count towards the essay. :smile:
Reply 6
Hi,

Hi,
Im currently doing a very scientific based EPQ on optic nerve regeneration.

I think im almost done but ive been told i need to add some "source evaluation". Where and how do i do this ?

Should i add a section/paragraph to the end of my EPQ called "source evaluation" and then chose 2-3 sources to analyse? Ive heard some people did an actual table at the end of their dissertation ?

Or should i leave that to talk about in my presentation ?

And finally, what do i talk about for the sources as most of my sources are from medical research journals online ???

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest