The Student Room Group

Awkward Conversation with MD/Director

I have been cold calling for about two weeks now, Wrapping it up because its becoming a waste of time, Overall I got a few decent leads, a few fake leads and a few "Hung up on me experiences".

But today I experienced this MD that tried to embarrass me; I thought the phone was on loud speaker or something. It goes like this..

Me: Introduced myself, asked for Internship experience

MD: [Heavy Italian accent] So you are looking for short cuts?

Me: Uhh no, Im not from a target school and all im looking for is some sort of experience, I am willing to shadow you for a week if that's okay with you.

MD: Silence

Me: At this point, I'm thinking "He's probably considering it" so I said I could start asap too; and I do not require sponsorship.. Hello Hello?

MD: Sorry I thought I hung up.

Me: uhm okay, so what about my proposition?

MD: Stop looking for shortcuts and apply online like everyone else.

Me: I won't get past the online stages because I have zero experience in banking.. I got a 1st class degree in..

MD: Don't care about your degree, if you have no experience why you calling?

ME: To get experience

MD: Call somewhere else

Me : Okay, Before I go, I also want to confirm something about your firm

MD: What?

Me : Nothing, Then I hung up the phone.

That was so rude and awkward from him, damn. I had to control my emotions at various stages during the conversation. Shortcuts you know, Michael Lewis got short cuts not me. All i ask is shadowing.. Internship at best.. you need experience to get experience.

I have learnt one thing though, Investment Bankers are ruthless lol. Well some of them, especially at the MD level.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Suck it up and keep trying, if you can't handle the above you aren't cut out for this job anyway. I understand how you feel though, just agonize the pain for a day and then move on and keep trying; it only takes one time to succeed.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by flygirl64
I have been cold calling for about two weeks now, Wrapping it up because its becoming a waste of time, Overall I got a few decent leads, a few fake leads and a few "Hung up on me experiences".

But today I experienced this MD that tried to embarrass me; I thought the phone was on loud speaker or something. It goes like this..

Me: Introduced myself, asked for Internship experience

MD: [Heavy Italian accent] So you are looking for short cuts?

Me: Uhh no, Im not from a target school and all im looking for is some sort of experience, I am willing to shadow you for a week if that's okay with you.

MD: Silence

Me: At this point, I'm thinking "He's probably considering it" so I said I could start asap too; and I do not require sponsorship.. Hello Hello?

MD: Sorry I thought I hung up.

Me: uhm okay, so what about my proposition?

MD: Stop looking for shortcuts and apply online like everyone else.

Me: I won't get past the online stages because I have zero experience in banking.. I got a 1st class degree in..

MD: Don't care about your degree, if you have no experience why you calling?

ME: To get experience

MD: Call somewhere else

Me : Okay, Before I go, I also want to confirm something about your firm

MD: What?

Me : Nothing, Then I hung up the phone.

That was so rude and awkward from him, damn. I had to control my emotions at various stages during the conversation. Shortcuts you know, Michael Lewis got short cuts not me. All i ask is shadowing.. Internship at best.. you need experience to get experience.

I have learnt one thing though, Investment Bankers are ruthless lol. Well some of them, especially at the MD level.

It sucks, but you've got to be able to handle this if you want to work in the industry.

On my summer one of the guys actually cried on the floor after getting shouted at. For a spelling mistake in an email, apparently. It was so loud I could hear it happening from half the floor away.

There are total dicks in the industry, but most people are just normal people. However as in any high pressure and fast paced job you have to develop a thick skin and be prepared to get stick if you **** up . . . which will certainly happen at some point.
Reply 3
Hustle, hustle, hustle. Why are you coming on an internet forum looking for sympathy? Instead you should be spending the time making more cold calls, or looking for ways to differentiate yourself. Maybe this is harsh, but it's the reality. You got poor A levels, you didnt go to a target but you managed to smash your degree and get a 1st. Your not totally hopeless. Just keep pushing and if it happens, great. If not, you can't have any regrets.
Ouch :lol: My previous manager usually just hung up when randoms called.

Getting a foot into the industry is tough. Have you thought about trying to get into IB through programmes like SEO/Rare/Brokerage?

Although, I believe they might also have A level filters for applications :K:

I support the above comments. If IB is what you want, you have no option but to keep grinding.
Reply 5
Original post by ClickItBack
It sucks, but you've got to be able to handle this if you want to work in the industry.

On my summer one of the guys actually cried on the floor after getting shouted at. For a spelling mistake in an email, apparently. It was so loud I could hear it happening from half the floor away.

There are total dicks in the industry, but most people are just normal people. However as in any high pressure and fast paced job you have to develop a thick skin and be prepared to get stick if you **** up . . . which will certainly happen at some point.

I'd lose all respect for someone shouting at someone else over a spelling mistake in an email, no matter who they were. It screams nothing more than "I can shout at you, so I will".
X

Maybe this was a weird way of 'interviewing' you, testing your personality under pressure. I read on WSO about how in some firms, mainly prop trading firms, where they have 2 people interview somebody and all of a sudden one will randomly have a massive rant at the interviewee to see how they react. Or possibly he was just being a prick, if so just move on, you probably wouldn't want to shadow/ work with douches.
Original post by Noble.
I'd lose all respect for someone shouting at someone else over a spelling mistake in an email, no matter who they were. It screams nothing more than "I can shout at you, so I will".

Context is he had made the same spelling mistake once or twice before and been warned about it. Although I agree the (very) public slagging off was uncalled for, it was something he should have been more careful about and could have avoided.

It varies by desk. My first grad desk I'd get a lot of stick from the MD if spreadsheet formatting was not absolutely perfect. The desk where I worked most of my time was far more relaxed. Believe it or not, some bankers are genuinely nice people.
Reply 8
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Ouch :lol: My previous manager usually just hung up when randoms called.

Getting a foot into the industry is tough. Have you thought about trying to get into IB through programmes like SEO/Rare/Brokerage?

Although, I believe they might also have A level filters for applications :K:

I support the above comments. If IB is what you want, you have no option but to keep grinding.

Pshh SEO are useless to me. I registered sometime in July, called these people constantly and they would say "Just click on our package we will get back to you" Two weeks ago I called and the guy said I will be getting a call in a few days from someone who would like to invite me to an assessment center bla bla - Been two weeks and I've heard absolutely nothing. I mean if you don't want me then say so let me focus my energy somewhere else.

I managed to set up another informational interview with a Bulge bracket VP, she was actually kind; lets hope I get a solid referral.

By the way, you know the spring week thing they do, does the fact that Im a graduate exempt me from applying??
Reply 9
Original post by Mr Chang
Hustle, hustle, hustle. Why are you coming on an internet forum looking for sympathy? Instead you should be spending the time making more cold calls, or looking for ways to differentiate yourself. Maybe this is harsh, but it's the reality. You got poor A levels, you didnt go to a target but you managed to smash your degree and get a 1st. Your not totally hopeless. Just keep pushing and if it happens, great. If not, you can't have any regrets.

Not really, Im not looking for sympathy, I have been cold calling for over two weeks now, It's yielded a couple of informational interviews and one referral at a boutique but that's it. I'm just sharing my experience with the forum .. I have an informational tomorrow with a bulge bracket VP aswell, getting tired of it.. need to find a paying job so that I can start saving up for my masters as soon as possible and a possible GMAT just in case.
Reply 10
Original post by ClickItBack

LOL that is quite embarrassing to cry.. based on my background I'm pretty much used to being spoken down to - especially back at 6th form when I was a mess.. I just did not expect it to exist in the corporate world haha.

Normally I try to get witty like I did with the MD towards the end and I need to stop that because eventually when I get a job in a BB (and i will) I cant talk back to my superiors like that lol
Reply 11
Original post by Sun_Bear
Maybe this was a weird way of 'interviewing' you, testing your personality under pressure. I read on WSO about how in some firms, mainly prop trading firms, where they have 2 people interview somebody and all of a sudden one will randomly have a massive rant at the interviewee to see how they react. Or possibly he was just being a prick, if so just move on, you probably wouldn't want to shadow/ work with douches.

I'd agree to that but he kept on cutting my sentences short and he seemed hasty to get off the phone too.

And you're right , I wouldn't want to work with him after that. But if he gave me the job i'd take it regardless lol
Pshh SEO are useless to me. I registered sometime in July, called these people constantly and they would say "Just click on our package we will get back to you" Two weeks ago I called and the guy said I will be getting a call in a few days from someone who would like to invite me to an assessment center bla bla - Been two weeks and I've heard absolutely nothing. I mean if you don't want me then say so let me focus my energy somewhere else.

I managed to set up another informational interview with a Bulge bracket VP, she was actually kind; lets hope I get a solid referral.

By the way, you know the spring week thing they do, does the fact that Im a graduate exempt me from applying??

They've been pretty useful to me thus far. Then again, I'm only starting university in the next couple of weeks. They helped me secure a weeks experience at BarCap which I had to turn down, unfortunately.

Regarding the Spring Weeks it's only for first year undergrads (or 2nd year undergrads on a four year course).

I don't know exactly how you're handling these interviews but really show an active interest in your interviewer and the role. You have to make your intentions clear from the get go. Leverage anything and everything you can so that you've made sure the interview was worth it. Undoubtedly it's not going to be easy, as I've read some of your other threads regarding your predicament. Hopefully your persistence works out for you and you can defy the odds.

All the best.
Reply 13
They've been pretty useful to me thus far. Then again, I'm only starting university in the next couple of weeks. They helped me secure a weeks experience at BarCap which I had to turn down, unfortunately.

Regarding the Spring Weeks it's only for first year undergrads (or 2nd year undergrads on a four year course).

I don't know exactly how you're handling these interviews but really show an active interest in your interviewer and the role. You have to make your intentions clear from the get go. Leverage anything and everything you can so that you've made sure the interview was worth it. Undoubtedly it's not going to be easy, as I've read some of your other threads regarding your predicament. Hopefully your persistence works out for you and you can defy the odds.

All the best.

Thanks for the well wishes..

What were your Alevels like? I'll call SEO again tomorrow and see what they can do for me.

Why did you turn down the week's internship at Barcap?? That was a great chance
Thanks for the well wishes..

What were your Alevels like? I'll call SEO again tomorrow and see what they can do for me.

Why did you turn down the week's internship at Barcap?? That was a great chance

You're welcome. Your persistence is most definitely admirable.

They were fine. Bottom of the page if you're interested.

Spoiler

If you are a part of their scheme, I'd strongly advise you email them with your predicament. They can offer advice as to how to approach interviews etc.. which for me was pretty invaluable.

I was already on an internship at another bank when I got invited.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
You're welcome. Your persistence is most definitely admirable.

They were fine. Bottom of the page if you're interested.

Spoiler

If you are a part of their scheme, I'd strongly advise you email them with your predicament. They can offer advice as to how to approach interviews etc.. which for me was pretty invaluable.

I was already on an internship at another bank when I got invited.

Lol you got 3 A*s, pretty much summed it up.. I dont think you even needed SEO's help
Reply 16
Hi,
what degree did you do? and at which uni? and when did you graduate?
Reply 17
Original post by Omar.Q
Hi,
what degree did you do? and at which uni? and when did you graduate?

Hiello, its financial economics/coventry/2014, Why do you ask ?

Thanks
Reply 18
Hiello, its financial economics/coventry/2014, Why do you ask ?

Thanks

to have a better idea of your position, have you considered doing a masters?
Reply 19
Original post by Omar.Q
to have a better idea of your position, have you considered doing a masters?

Oh thanks, Yes doing a masters in 2015, need to work for a few years to get money to support funding process

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending