The Student Room Group

changing from a petrol to a diesel - what to expect?

im really used to clutches in petrol cars now and with setting gas usually before the bite

what should i expect with a diesel?
Original post by BarBar-John
im really used to clutches in petrol cars now and with setting gas usually before the bite

what should i expect with a diesel?

It will be more 'powerful' at a lower rpm. This means that you don't need as much gas when finding the bite. In fact, the 800 or so rpm that the engine normally goes at with no gas may be enough to move off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is the same with me. My driving instructors car is a diesel so it's like translating it into my car which is a petrol. It's not the actual driving OR the cars for me. it's just finding the two different biting points on the clutch? any ideas please x

Posted from TSR Mobile
diesels have a much lower biting point, I can use barely any power and be able to move off in first, in a petrol it would stall. most people think petrol cars are faster but in modern cars there's barely a difference
Thank you so much for replying. I know what you mean, it's so difficult to find the biting point in my petrol fiat 500 as I'm learning in my instructors car which is a diesel. So I find it's very hard to judge how much or how little gas to use whilst finding the biting point in my car. But I guess that's all the process of learning to drive and I'm sure it'll come a little easier to me soon. I just seem to can't find the balance with the gas and the clutch enough to go smoothly without it juddering or stalling.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It might just be my car but i find the revs die quicker in my diesal, wheras my petrol could move forward in second with lower revs the diesal will stall.

Other than that no difference. In Ireland the fuel is significantly cheaper as well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending