The Student Room Group

Yet another 'which laptop' thread

You guys are going to love me. I have a budget of £350 absolute max though my dad has £50 in vouchers than can be spent in argos so, looking around, the two laptops I think I am choosing between are these:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/hp-15-g094sa-15-6-laptop-purple-10011517-pdt.html

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2473549.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

My needs:

-It'll be a push to get it to last 4 years I know, but really that would be helpful to get me to the end of uni. My current has struggled past 3. I mean struggled.

-Word, powerpoint (basic work stuff) Yes I know I will have to buy this separately

-Browsing the internet, watching cat videos and instant messaging

-'Playing games' by playing games, I want it to be able to run Sims 4 reasonably well.

Which is better out of the two, or any other suggestions in the price range? (Yes it has to be a laptop, I don't have enough room for a desktop)
The one from Argos because it is lighter and not a funny colour.
Original post by Alfissti
The one from Argos because it is lighter and not a funny colour.

I don't mind the colour, also comes in black as well, the colour does NOT bother me at all, unless it was some truly obnoxious colour like orange or pink. If you meant 'lighter' as in weight, that is actually false

Argos: •Weight 2.71kg

Pc world: Weight 2.23 kg

so the PC world one is actually nearly half a kilogram lighter
Original post by Alfissti

the only issue with that is that the price is 'after cash back' if that means the amount 'before cash-back has to be paid' then that is not possible. My father is not good with finance's at all, and when he says £350, he means £350 and not a penny more, because that will no doubt be the only amount in his bank account. He also can't make purchases online -_- (which I know, really limits my choice)
Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy
You guys are going to love me. I have a budget of £350 absolute max though my dad has £50 in vouchers than can be spent in argos so, looking around, the two laptops I think I am choosing between are these:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/hp-15-g094sa-15-6-laptop-purple-10011517-pdt.html

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2473549.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

My needs:

-It'll be a push to get it to last 4 years I know, but really that would be helpful to get me to the end of uni. My current has struggled past 3. I mean struggled.

-Word, powerpoint (basic work stuff) Yes I know I will have to buy this separately

-Browsing the internet, watching cat videos and instant messaging

-'Playing games' by playing games, I want it to be able to run Sims 4 reasonably well.

Which is better out of the two, or any other suggestions in the price range? (Yes it has to be a laptop, I don't have enough room for a desktop)

If you're willing to compromise on the Sims 4, you can get a chromebook for well under £350.
It can do everything else you've mentioned, super fast startup, constant free updates and virus protection, long battery life and so on and so forth.

Microsoft Office will set you back at least another £150 (I think) but google has its own version of word, powerpoint etc all for free. Plus they come with SSDs instead of normal hard drives, and will run quieter. Also much more portable and lighter than your current options.
Original post by FutureHeartSurg
If you're willing to compromise on the Sims 4, you can get a chromebook for well under £350.
It can do everything else you've mentioned, super fast startup, constant free updates and virus protection, long battery life and so on and so forth.

Microsoft Office will set you back at least another £150 (I think) but google has its own version of word, powerpoint etc all for free. Plus they come with SSDs instead of normal hard drives, and will run quieter. Also much more portable and lighter than your current options.

I sound childish, but I really don't want to compromise. I really really don't like chromebooks. Microsoft will set be back either £80 if I buy it with the pc world hp. £100 if I buy it from Tesco. Or nothing if I ask a friend who has a code :tongue: not entirely sure how 'legal' that is but that's how I have business edition on my laptop :tongue:

The laptops I linked don't seem that bad for what I want. Currently I have a Samsung R530. It is missing most of the keyboard keys, is missing pixels, the fan packed up a while ago, word no longer works, and it black screens way too often. Yes the processor is 2.2GHz, but it just doesn't work :tongue:
I sound childish, but I really don't want to compromise. I really really don't like chromebooks. Microsoft will set be back either £80 if I buy it with the pc world hp. £100 if I buy it from Tesco. Or nothing if I ask a friend who has a code :tongue: not entirely sure how 'legal' that is but that's how I have business edition on my laptop :tongue:

The laptops I linked don't seem that bad for what I want. Currently I have a Samsung R530. It is missing most of the keyboard keys, is missing pixels, the fan packed up a while ago, word no longer works, and it black screens way too often. Yes the processor is 2.2GHz, but it just doesn't work :tongue:

Are you fussed about things like screen size etc?
Are you fussed about things like screen size etc?

I'm used to a 15.6" so if possible I'd rather not go to a smaller screen :/ my step-dad showed me a 11.6" one with office preinstalled, but it was just way way too small. I live on my laptop, so my eye-sight would have been killed in a week
I'm used to a 15.6" so if possible I'd rather not go to a smaller screen :/ my step-dad showed me a 11.6" one with office preinstalled, but it was just way way too small. I live on my laptop, so my eye-sight would have been killed in a week

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/asus-x550ca-15-6-laptop-21836943-pdt.html

Asus X550CA

15.6"
4 gb ram
750 gb hard drive
i5 processor - (1.8 GHz which can be boosted to 2.7)

£349.99 :P a penny under....
(edited 9 years ago)
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/asus-x550ca-15-6-laptop-21836943-pdt.html

Asus X550CA

15.6"
4 gb ram
750 gb hard drive
i5 processor - (1.8 GHz which can be boosted to 2.7)

£349.99 :P a penny under....

Is it any better than the ones I have posted? I ask because it has less ram, less hard drive, and comparably a less powerful processor. But then again. I don't understand computers.
I made this video on the 10 best laptops under $500, you can check it out if you want..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbqEqoo5eBk
Is it any better than the ones I have posted? I ask because it has less ram, less hard drive, and comparably a less powerful processor. But then again. I don't understand computers.

My experience with HPs in that price range is that they're really unreliable. Also the ones you posted use AMD processors instead of Intel, and I believe Intel are the supposedly better ones. But don't take my word for it as I'm not entirely sure- ask around.

Also compare battery life.
Also compare battery life.

*looks at charger at her current laptop that cannot be removed in fear of laptop dying instantly* Don't think battery life concerns me too much :tongue: I had some guys I know who do computing look around, and they said in their opinion the AMD was better D:
*looks at charger at her current laptop that cannot be removed in fear of laptop dying instantly* Don't think battery life concerns me too much :tongue: I had some guys I know who do computing look around, and they said in their opinion the AMD was better D:

Haha tell me about it, I had the same issue :tongue: But it might be a problem if you've got multiple lectures in a day, so it's something to think about I suppose.

They probably know more than I do, but computing (certainly at gcse and a level) is more about programming rather than tech :wink:. Seeing as you're buying it in person, I'd suggest you go to the computer store and try them all out, see which one you like the feel of and the performance of the best.
Ask the assistants too (Especially in places like PC World- they usually have advisers who know what their talking about). Seeing as the prices are roughly the same, they shouldn't be particularly biased when recommending.
Intel is definitely better in the current generation of laptop processors. That's why once you get to the £500 range, you'll find almost no AMD processors at all. Anything above that is Intel.

They are faster, and take much less power (I know you said you don't care about battery life... but if it's not any more expensive, why not?)

On desktop it's a lot more debatable. AMDs are still quite a bit slower, but they are massively cheaper, and power consumption is not as big of a problem.
(edited 9 years ago)
the only issue with that is that the price is 'after cash back' if that means the amount 'before cash-back has to be paid' then that is not possible. My father is not good with finance's at all, and when he says £350, he means £350 and not a penny more, because that will no doubt be the only amount in his bank account. He also can't make purchases online -_- (which I know, really limits my choice)

Push for it :smile:

Less ram should have little affect on your needs....average user uses less thana 4gb.
Also the AMD cpu is very different to that of the Intel.

AMD laptop processors are only their APU units, they are a dual cpu and gpu system, so on a budget they get the best gaming performance, however this is at the expense of the CPU. The Asus on the other hand has the more processor, the clock speed means very little, it has a better archtecture, meaning it processes far more efficiently and just better.

The integrated graphics system should be more than enough.
This is sims 3 on hd 4000
[video="youtube;mWheX8xbGEo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWheX8xbGEo[/video]

Quick Reply