The Student Room Group

IMAT 2015-2016(italian medical admission)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wearestardust
The biology questions in the alpha test 1200 book are at a much higher level (at least degree) to that of the BMAT. Are we likely to be asked degree level type of questions such as introns, alternative splicing etc...?

After looking through alphatest book i started getting an impression that it's not very reliable source. In my opiniom we dont need to know all of these things, because they've never appeared on IMAT exam on the previous years. Unfortunately, as you probably discovered- there is so many differences between alphatest questions and bmat/IMAT questions. I dont know if you also discovered that there is A LOT of mistakes in mathematical and problem solving questions (in that case i started getting suspicious about critical thinking answers too but there is no way to check it. However some of them sound ABSOLUTELY ridiculous sometimes).

In this case, i am also lost because i have no idea which source is reliable- italian one that is the only one available, but the one that do not create a test or cambridge/bmat one which actually gives no opportunities to IMAT takers but is the one that creates IMAT exam...
Original post by naturelle
After looking through alphatest book i started getting an impression that it's not very reliable source.

I had asked a third year student at uni of sapienza rome, this is what he said:

'Dear Ngcool,

IMAT is not BMAT. IMAT is way harder. Yes, those questions can happen. Take a look to last years' admission tests; you find them on the forum.

Btw, I have never recommended to purchase that book. This is what is recommended by medschool.it, not by us. '

source: http://ims-sapienza.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=573&start=10

Unfortunately, as you probably discovered- there is so many differences between alphatest questions and bmat/IMAT questions.

Yes I have noticed the difference. I think the format of the IMAT (structure of the questions) is the same as the BMAT but when it comes to covering the IMAT science syllabus, the BMAT does not offer much whilst the alpha test goes into finer detail.

In this case, i am also lost because i have no idea which source is reliable- italian one that is the only one available, but the one that do not create a test or cambridge/bmat one which actually gives no opportunities to IMAT takers but is the one that creates IMAT exam...

I would say the BMAT logic section is much relevant to the IMAT thinking skills section. Try to do all the questions in both books. Also, cambridge assessment who manages CIE and OCR is the one that makes the IMAT and CIE offers A-levels. My point is that one of the papers (paper 1) for CIE Biology, Chemistry and Physics is mpq based. I have not done physics but some of the questions for Biology and Chemistry are relevant to the IMAT. You can access the papers at this website: http://papers.xtremepapers.com/
In addition to "wearestardust" just and FYI.

CIE also do "Thinking skills" - a few questions in the past papers are a little similar - however there are many past papers and it will take time to find the relevant time. ->
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge%20International%20A%20and%20AS%20Level/Thinking%20Skills%20%289694%29/

Good luck with the future.
Synergy101
Reply 83
Does anyone have alphatest books that doesnt need anymore? I'm looking to buy them but they're so expensive
Does anyone know when registration starts/opens?
Original post by Matiullah
Does anyone know when registration starts/opens?

I think it's late February- early March :smile:
Does anyone know where I can get the orginal past papers, i.e the answer isn't always A

Thanks
Original post by faddys123
Does anyone know where I can get the orginal past papers, i.e the answer isn't always A

Thanks

I'm afraid there is no source where orginal IMAT past papers are available. I've found the one where all of the answers were always C, but I suppose, this is not very helpful.

Anyway, does someone know something about IMAT dates? I'm seriously confused after seeing e-mail from Pavia where was written that IMAT exam will probably take place in september.
This could be probably not very helpful for potencially applicants who will get an offer from university- probably after a month since IMAT which means that decission would eventually come in october.
I'm afraid there is no source where orginal IMAT past papers are available. I've found the one where all of the answers were always C, but I suppose, this is not very helpful.

Anyway, does someone know something about IMAT dates? I'm seriously confused after seeing e-mail from Pavia where was written that IMAT exam will probably take place in september.
This could be probably not very helpful for potencially applicants who will get an offer from university- probably after a month since IMAT which means that decission would eventually come in october.

Hey, are you sure the source is reliable about the Sept date? I think we just need to wait a bit longer to find our for sure, last year it was released quite late, around 21st of February if I'm not mistaken.
For those of you who would like to practise tests in a rearranged order, I've found two and placed them on a drive, which I'll link. I think its the 2011 and 2012 exams. I would use them as mocks for when you think you're ready, just bear in mind that 2013 was more difficult and 2014's exam even more difficult. But it will help with time management and that kind of thing :smile:

The 2011 exam
https://mega.co.nz/#!CEITSQyY!CMr3ZXLYtzmktEBtEc53ci3XId-ebpbl5_18-ScJkZw

The 2012 exam
https://mega.co.nz/#!mFBh0LSK!2yXmsW3GjMhelNMpTAEp9hmpfbDk5VwXf6JXmyBQr5g

There is no answer key, but you can mark them with a version where all of the answers are A

Hope that helps!
Original post by Henriette_ny
For those of you who would like to practise tests in a rearranged order, I've found two and placed them on a drive, which I'll link. I think its the 2011 and 2012 exams. I would use them as mocks for when you think you're ready, just bear in mind that 2013 was more difficult and 2014's exam even more difficult. But it will help with time management and that kind of thing :smile:

The 2011 exam
https://mega.co.nz/#!CEITSQyY!CMr3ZXLYtzmktEBtEc53ci3XId-ebpbl5_18-ScJkZw

The 2012 exam
https://mega.co.nz/#!mFBh0LSK!2yXmsW3GjMhelNMpTAEp9hmpfbDk5VwXf6JXmyBQr5g

There is no answer key, but you can mark them with a version where all of the answers are A

Hope that helps!

Hey, thank you for the post!! There are different exams from the ones in 2011 and 2012 though, do you know where we can find the answer key maybe? Cheeeeeeeeeers x
How's revision going for everyone? And how much have you already done?
Original post by Claire.Rose
Hey, thank you for the post!! There are different exams from the ones in 2011 and 2012 though, do you know where we can find the answer key maybe? Cheeeeeeeeeers x

med school.It website has all the past papers, so you can mark it with those on the site. Oh and not only are the answers rearranged, but the questions are in a different order. :smile:

I'm pretty sure the person who rearranged it didn't make an answer key. Sorry
Which book is better out of these two? or shall I just get both? Whats the difference?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/lammissione-...eparation+book

Original post by lovekitty123
Which book is better out of these two? or shall I just get both? Whats the difference?

The link you posted is not working but if you are on about the two alpha test book. The 1200 one (which i have) is the one with the questions whlist the other one contains the explanation (in italian) of the answers of the questions from the 1200 one.
Original post by wearestardust
The link you posted is not working but if you are on about the two alpha test book. The 1200 one (which i have) is the one with the questions whlist the other one contains the explanation (in italian) of the answers of the questions from the 1200 one.

So I'm guessing I should get the 1200 one only? Since it's the only one in english?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1423143555.013592.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1423143595.837057.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1423143605.602801.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1423143615.967304.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1423143624.744341.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1423143633.087010.jpg

Can someone please explain any of these answers to me? I don't get how they got the answer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I'm guessing I should get the 1200 one only? Since it's the only one in english?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes get the 1200 one only. Well, I don't think alpha test have any explanation book that is in english.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1423143555.013592.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1423143595.837057.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1423143605.602801.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1423143615.967304.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1423143624.744341.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1423143633.087010.jpg

Can someone please explain any of these answers to me? I don't get how they got the answer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry I'm very bad at explaining things :frown: but I'll try

In 2005:

Let Peters age be 4x and Quentins age y
4x = y

In 2021:

2021-2005 = 16

Let Peters age be 2(x+16) and Quentins age y+16

simultaneous equations

2(x+16) = y+16 *we know that y=4x
2x+32 = 4x+16
32-16 =4x-2x
16 =2x
x = 8

IN 2005 Peter was 4x8=32
Quentin was 8 (because 1/4 of Peters age)

32-8=24

Now I'm not sure if my reasoning here is right but this is how I did this when I was doing that past paper.

you could also make Peters age in 2005 = Peters age in 2021 which is probably quicker but just not how my brain works, then you'd get

4x=2x+16
2x=16
x=8

29. Add together the number of people in each sport category and try to work out a rough percentage of how many there are in each age category for that sport then compare to that of swimming to see which one is the closest.

24. this is just proportions, from the drawing you can see that chocolota and strawberry are about 1/4 each and raspberry is slightly less, mint and vanilla are around 1/8 but mint>vanilla (again sorry I know I'm bad at explaining)

28. let's say that the first cousin was born in 2000
the main person was born in 2001
and second cousin was born in 2002

between May 15th 2003 and June 3rd 2003 the first cousin and the main person will both be two, so calculate the days between those days

(31-15)+3 = 19

between April 28th 2003 and May 15th 2003 the second cousin and main person will both be one.

(30-28)+15=17

add the two together

17+19=36

(don't know the number of q for this one)

basically multiply the hours by minutes (ie 60) and divide by 8, if no remainder left then they'll meet.

this question is really quite simple but i'm not sure i can explain it well.

6 links joined together so 6x8=48

but the 6 links are joined together 5 times, each of those times the 2cm sides join together so the link become shorter by the 2cm

5x2 = 10

two links join together so 2 links get the 2cm taken up/less (i feel like this is making no sense, I find that drawing things out helps loads)

10x2 = 20

48-20 = 28

hope this helped a little bit
Reply 99
nicely done!! i like how you explain the simultaneous equation in q.34. good stuff!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending