The Student Room Group

Not sure what career I should go into? Computer Science/Accounting/Business e.t.c

Scroll to see replies

Original post by krs122
I'm going to continue with sixth form and then leave for Uni.

I know, i'm suggesting that if you don't end up with maths (for whatever reason) you should consider applying to degrees with foundation years.
Reply 21
Original post by parentlurker
You are young, you've had a setback in your career but you have plenty of time. Your best options are either study maths, independently with a tutor and sit the exam as a private candidate if necessary, or concentrate on 3 A levels for now, apply to courses that don't require maths and see if you get in either through UCAS or clearing. If you don't get a place take a gap year, study maths then when you can devote more effort to it and reapply. If you are studying only maths and work hard you should be able to achieve at least a C grade, possibly more than that.

You wouldn't find a 6th form college that would just let you study one course but if you get 3 A* grades you'd find somewhere that would possibly let you do maths AS and A2 courses and carry on the Psychology to A2 or you could just do AS maths and something that would allow the college to get its funding for you (like photography). Or get a job and pay for a tutorial college to teach you maths. You might want to see if you can get your maths papers back to see where you went wrong in the exams, I'm assuming all papers were poor and there's no chance a mismark on one paper pulled you down.

You don't need to do 4 A levels for university, 3 and an AS are fine so I don't know why your school are pushing 4 at you.

It's a massive setback. If I knew the requirements of the courses I want to do prior to the exams I would have worked much harder. Well, currently I am doing It, Psychology, Business and Economics, and Financial Studies. I can breeze past B & E and hopefully get an A*, ICT there is a lot of workload but no exams, Financial Studies I can breeze past and there is no work after lessons to do. So, I don't mind my current subjects.

These are my options:
1) Still try and pursuade the teachers to let me continue with Maths. Do the resits privately or do it with the A2 exams.
2) Drop out to College and do Maths courses there
3) Continue with my current subjects and get hopefully A*, A*, A*, B and then by retaking AS Maths, get a B in AS Maths. And then do a course at Uni which doesn't require A level maths.
4) Do 3, but instead of going to Uni stay in sixth form for another year and do A2 Maths as I would be allowed to do that. But I don't want to do that.

In the long run, I want to start a business till then I want a well paid job to finance for it. I'm interested in Computer science/Economics/Finance/Accountancy/Football.

I could drop down to 3 subjects but I don't mind these 4 as Financial Studies is quite easy
Reply 22
Original post by Princepieman
I know, i'm suggesting that if you don't end up with maths (for whatever reason) you should consider applying to degrees with foundation years.

Oh, I didn't realise that they were possible. I'm going to have a chat with my careers advisor about that, thanks! But, I just want to go either Manchester/Lancaster tbh or York.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending