The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Last time I checked you could buy the MS Office student edition from Amazon for cheaper than ITS would sell it to you for. I'm not sure about Windows.

It's possible to buy a OEM version (much cheaper) from some retailers as long as you buy it with a piece of hardware (ie. a £2 mouse). Theres some info from MS here, http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/how-to-buy/types-licence/student-and-teacher/

Alex
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
People actually buy Windows? I thought it was free... ^o)
Reply 3
lol. precisely :frown:.

Anyway, when the mac comes I'm going to instally my copy of windows, then before I come to Durham I'll buy an educational upgrade edition of XP Pro and use the key from that. Should be dandy.
Erm, what's the point of getting a Mac and then installing windows?
Mattmoy_2000
Erm, what's the point of getting a Mac and then installing windows?

Some stuff only works of Windows (like games and most downloadable stuff), and if you use special software like "Bootcamp" or "Parallels" you can switch between them quickly and simply. In fact, I think there's software somewhere on the internet which allows you to switch between Mac OSX and Windows simply by tapping the side of the computer. It's called "Smackbook".
Reply 6
Seriously? Sounds weird.

Anyway mattmoy, that's a valid question. I've always dualbooted linux and windows on my home computer, using linux for anything and everything of value, and windows solely for the occasional game. I'm going to use Mac OSX for everything because it's really a much more advanced operating system, but at the same time I'd like to be able to play my current windows games without re-buying the Mac version. Also, if there's a certain piece of software that only comes on Windows that I really really need (whatever that is) then it'll be nice to have around.

Worth the 60 quid I reckon :smile:.
Man, just get a pirate copy!
Does dualbooting not use shedloads of processing power/RAM?
Reply 8
lol, I will originally install a pirate copy, but if I'm going to be using it at uni I'd rather be using a key number that is legal by then :p:.

Dual booting means that on turning on the computer, you have the option of running either of the operating systems (ie not both at the same time). In this way it is different from Virtual Machines or Emulators which run one OS inside the other. If on booting you choose to boot into windows, then windows runs on your computer as if it were the only operating system there. If you choose to boot into (say) linux then that will run alone instead.

All it takes is a bit more disk space, since you have two seperate installations. The speed at which each one runs when you use it is not affected.
Reply 9
For a virtualization solution, as opposed to dual booting, I've been messing about with Q. Works pretty well and is free. I've currently tried FreeDOS, Kubuntu and RailsLiveCD, and they all work perfectly :smile: I mean, you're not going to be playing games, but it's nice enough.
With engineering you get a free copy of XP Pro :smile:

Otherwise i am pretty sure that the IT help desk will be able to supply you with a copy at an average price (the rest of the stuff ITS sell is very overpriced IMO)

Ian

Latest

Trending

Trending