The Student Room Group

Should I bother making notes? (A level)

As the title says, should I bother making revision notes for A levels? I've never done it before and IMO, I did OK, but I'm not sure how much it would help me (or if it would even help at all :tongue:)

The subjects I do are Maths, FM, Chemistry and Physics if that's any help.

If you say yes, how would you suggest I lay them out and when should I start (straight after lessons, after I've finished a topic or something else?) I would appreciate any sample pics to show how it's meant to be done.

If no, then what other methods do you suggest?

Thanks for helping guys! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yes, you should obviously take notes.
It's your A Levels.
The answer is independent on your learning style and how you organise your own notes, or I could tell you how I do mine.
I would make notes in class. Your teacher will pretty much tell you what you note down, or you'll know because its obvious. Do it lesson by lesson and organise them per topic.

Personally, I scribble down notes on a piece of paper, put in my folder and save it for study periods. Sometimes I bring my dictaphone for debates or oral work.

During revision/study periods, I go through my notes and add any extra details, do any extra reading and go over things that confuse me. Then store them away as revision material, or turn them into flashcards/mindmaps/quizzes so that they're ready for exam season.

It worked for me. :smile:
Here is my system. First up I concentrate on the exercises and past papers more than the notes. Get organised so you know which you did. Then I do subject notes - this is important. ie All Calculus in one notebook, all Geom & Trig, all Algebra and functions etc. tbh after they are done I do not need them much but I feel complete somehow. I use A4 size ringed notebooks.

Then : As well I do a module reviser / handbook.
I use a small A5 notebook so its portable. Unlike the notes referred to above these are done by module / chapter. This is pretty much just formulas / methods etc with no explanations. At the bottom of each page I write what is on the next page eg "Product and Chain rules". Then I use it instead of Flash cards as a self test tool.

HTH.

Oh: Critical thing. Class notes are just that. Notes in class. Keep them seperate and do proper ones yourself. You will be well ahead of the syllabus anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
Take notes (I've heard that you're 60% more likely to remember something if you write it down). You don't HAVE to look at the notes, you could do what I did and just copy the same thing down umpteen times until you finally remember it. When/how you take them is entirely up to you; I'd recommend doing at least some while the information's still fresh in your mind- even while the teacher's talking. Colours are helpful to.
Reply 5
Original post by Arithmeticae
As the title says, should I bother making revision notes for A levels? I've never done it before and IMO, I did OK, but I'm not sure how much it would help me (or if it would even help at all :tongue:)

The subjects I do are Maths, FM, Chemistry and Physics if that's any help.

If you say yes, how would you suggest I lay them out and when should I start (straight after lessons, after I've finished a topic or something else?) I would appreciate any sample pics to show how it's meant to be done.

If no, then what other methods do you suggest?

Thanks for helping guys! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did not take notes throughout a-levels and turned out just fine

I just... Used the textbook and other resources. I made a few notes in my own time but never in lessons. And i did not store any notes in folders. I did lots of past papers and talked things through with friends. Maths does not require notes, just lots of practice. For chemistry i found discussion and indepedent research really useful.
(edited 9 years ago)
)
Original post by inachigeek21
I could tell you how I do mine.

Thanks, I would really appreciate this if it's not too much trouble :smile:

Original post by Iggy Azalea
I would make notes in class. Your teacher will pretty much tell you what you note down, or you'll know because its obvious. Do it lesson by lesson and organise them per topic.

Personally, I scribble down notes on a piece of paper, put in my folder and save it for study periods. Sometimes I bring my dictaphone for debates or oral work.

During revision/study periods, I go through my notes and add any extra details, do any extra reading and go over things that confuse me. Then store them away as revision material, or turn them into flashcards/mindmaps/quizzes so that they're ready for exam season.

It worked for me. :smile:

Yeah, I do this in class anyway but most of the time they're rushed as I'm trying to keep up with the talking and not really complete (tbh most of the time I can't read them myself, my writing is that bad :colondollar:)

Thanks a lot for that, I'll try hard to keep everything neat organised this year :smile:

Original post by Old_Simon
Here is my system. First up I concentrate on the exercises and past papers more than the notes. Get organised so you know which you did. Then I do subject notes - this is important. ie All Calculus in one notebook, all Geom & Trig, all Algebra and functions etc. tbh after they are done I do not need them much but I feel complete somehow. I use A4 size ringed notebooks.

Then : As well I do a module reviser / handbook.
I use a small A5 notebook so its portable. Unlike the notes referred to above these are done by module / chapter. This is pretty much just formulas / methods etc with no explanations. At the bottom of each page I write what is on the next page eg "Product and Chain rules". Then I use it instead of Flash cards as a self test tool.

HTH.

Oh: Critical thing. Class notes are just that. Notes in class. Keep them seperate and do proper ones yourself. You will be well ahead of the syllabus anyway.

This is what I meant, one of my teachers said that even the act of writing notes helps to retain info even if you don't look at them again (obvs it would probably help though :tongue:) Is there any chance you could upload a pic, I just want to see how you lay out the page

So you test yourself by trying to think of an explanation for the rough ideas? Seems like a good method, I'll try it out

Cheers for the help everyone! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Yeah, you should. I didn't and I screwed up.

Don't be one of those sweaty little nerds who use multi-coloured pens and revision cards, though.
Original post by Arkasia

Don't be one of those sweaty little nerds who use multi-coloured pens and revision cards, though.

Lol, I remember those kids :lol:

They made me angry.
Original post by LeftyGuitarist
Take notes (I've heard that you're 60% more likely to remember something if you write it down). You don't HAVE to look at the notes, you could do what I did and just copy the same thing down umpteen times until you finally remember it. When/how you take them is entirely up to you; I'd recommend doing at least some while the information's still fresh in your mind- even while the teacher's talking. Colours are helpful to.

Yeah, I've heard this from a teacher too

Thanks for the advice! :smile:

Original post by Pomum96
I did not take notes throughout a-levels and turned out just fine

I just... Used the textbook and other resources. I made a few notes in my own time but never in lessons. And i did not store any notes in folders. I did lots of past papers and talked things through with friends. Maths does not require notes, just lots of practice. For chemistry i found discussion and indepedent research really useful.

Tbh I kind of get this view, what's the point looking through your own set of notes when you have the revision guide (a perfect set of notes), but a lot of people seem to say that even writing the notes helps out

Maths is more of an understand and apply thing for me so I wasn't planning on doing too much for that anyway, maybe chem and physics though

Thanks! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
)

This is what I meant, one of my teachers said that even the act of writing notes helps to retain info even if you don't look at them again (obvs it would probably help though :tongue:) Is there any chance you could upload a pic, I just want to see how you lay out the page

So you test yourself by trying to think of an explanation for the rough ideas? Seems like a good method, I'll try it out

Cheers for the help everyone! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No pics I am way too shy lol. No its not quite like that. Let us say you create a list of the derivatives of the 6 trig functions. So in the reviser I just write them down. On previous page I put "Derivatives of Trig Functions" at the bottom of that page. Then I try to remember them before turning over. I do not force the memory that comes naturally with practise. But a good mathmo like you will remember them as soon as you do a few exercises / past papers anyway. It evolves from being a useful tool to hand to being just a checklist really. As you write it you flick through the earlier pages checking you recall it all. Finally check off the content against the specification as you go.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Lol, I remember those kids :lol:

They made me angry.

Same here. Still, they weren't as bad as the ones who put their notes in a proper ring binder and added little post-it notes.

Tbh I kind of get this view, what's the point looking through your own set of notes when you have the revision guide (a perfect set of notes), but a lot of people seem to say that even writing the notes helps out

Maths is more of an understand and apply thing for me so I wasn't planning on doing too much for that anyway, maybe chem and physics though

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with this guy. Strictly they are not absolutely necessary. I just feel I should do them. I am particularly concerned about model answers based on mark schemes, and the edge case awkward questions. They go in there. Often I do all the exercises first so I really feel how to explain it all in my notes. The module reviser notebook is a handy tool though to carry to class etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problemo

Most people take thorough notes then file them. I find that more lively and interactive lessons help drill things into my head better. Depends what type of learner you are i suppose.
Original post by Arkasia

Looool, most of the time it's girls that do that

I can barely be bothered to write up a page normally, let alone use lots of colours :tongue:

No pics I am way too shy lol. No its not quite like that. Let us say you create a list of the derivatives of the 6 trig functions. So in the reviser I just write them down. On previous page I put "Derivatives of Trig Functions" at the bottom of that page. Then I try to remember them before turning over. I do not force the memory that comes naturally with practise. But a good mathmo like you will remember them as soon as you do a few exercises / past papers anyway. It evolves from being a useful tool to hand to being just a checklist really. As you write it you flick through the earlier pages checking you recall it all. Finally check off the content against the specification as you go.

I agree with this guy. Strictly they are not absolutely necessary. I just feel I should do them. I am particularly concerned about model answers based on mark schemes, and the edge case awkward questions. They go in there. Often I do all the exercises first so I really feel how to explain it all in my notes. The module reviser notebook is a handy tool though to carry to class etc.

Yeah I think I get it, it's just a quick way to store them so you don't have to derive them every time (which is helpful in exam situations)

This is exactly how I feel, kind of like I'm not doing enough if I don't make them lol

Original post by Pomum96
No problemo

Most people take thorough notes then file them. I find that more lively and interactive lessons help drill things into my head better. Depends what type of learner you are i suppose.

I agree but unfortunately most of my lessons are pretty boring :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Making good notes is pretty much key to success in a levels. Yeah, sure you can just use textbooks but a lot of the things there are overcomplicated so it's best to narrow it down. I don't know how your sixth form/college/whatever has lessons but in my sixth form the teachers usually explain to us what we need to know (although depends on lesson) and then make us read the textbooks and make our own notes. It really helps as you process the information better and remember it as you have made it your own in a way. Although I didn't do the subjects you did, I think that perhaps my method can be useful for you anyway. I always rewrote my notes from class neatly and occasionally added more detail (if needed, wouldn't want to over-complicate it). Worked pretty well for me but then again I don't know what will work for you best

I can barely be bothered to write up a page normally, let alone use lots of colours :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good lad. Aim for a page of A4 per lesson. If you can't do that normally, either increase your writing size, write random stuff, or doodle. Just get used to putting pen to paper, and eventually you might write down one gem of a fact per lesson.

Also, don't listen to the people who say you can't do well without copious notes. Everyone is different, some people need notes, some people don't. If you can't write informative and helpful notes, then just don't bother. It would be wasting your time and effort, and drain you of mental energy that could otherwise be spent listening to the teacher or fantasizing about the hot girl who sits in front of you.
(edited 9 years ago)

Yeah I think I get it, it's just a quick way to store them so you don't have to derive them every time (which is helpful in exam situations)

This is exactly how I feel, kind of like I'm not doing enough if I don't make them lol

I agree but unfortunately most of my lessons are pretty boring :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile

In maths you can easily get way ahead of the syllabus. It is completely ridiculous how say Calculus is spread over multiple modules and learnt over two years. A fortnight hard slog and you should have it nailed. Then you have 18 months to practise. In the lesson sit at the back and just do exercises and ask any awkward questions you prepared earlier. :wink:
Original post by pie-inator
Making good notes is pretty much key to success in a levels. Yeah, sure you can just use textbooks but a lot of the things there are overcomplicated so it's best to narrow it down. I don't know how your sixth form/college/whatever has lessons but in my sixth form the teachers usually explain to us what we need to know (although depends on lesson) and then make us read the textbooks and make our own notes. It really helps as you process the information better and remember it as you have made it your own in a way. Although I didn't do the subjects you did, I think that perhaps my method can be useful for you anyway. I always rewrote my notes from class neatly and occasionally added more detail (if needed, wouldn't want to over-complicate it). Worked pretty well for me but then again I don't know what will work for you best

This is not true generally speaking in Maths.
This is not true generally speaking in Maths.

Like I said, I'm not doing the same subjects but it is still useful for any other written based and scientific subjects

Quick Reply

Latest