The Student Room Group

Dropping a GCSE in year 11

I've just started year 11 and want to drop GCSE art. I can't deal with the coursework, it has stressed me out since the beginning of year 10 and made my other grades suffer. I've had to sacrifice getting A's and A*'s in other subjects. I also get so stressed out and panicked that it makes me feel physically ill.

I currently do 11 GCSES. I feel that Art is affecting my overall performance. If I dropped it I'm certain that I'd be able to get 10 GCSES all A*-A. I'm also aware of another girl in my year that dropped a different subject at the end of year 10, so I'm quite sure that if I put my case forward my school will let me drop. However, I don't know what to do! Help?
(edited 4 years ago)
I was in the same position as you last year, but didn't drop it because of the hassle. I really wish I did though because I couldn't stand it and just ended up not putting the effort in. I got 11A's and 1C, the C was in art :tongue: it's a subject that requires quite a lot of work/effort so if you don't enjoy it you're not likely to put the effort in. Drop art if you want to!
Reply 2
I understand your suituation because I had my GCSE two years ago. I was doing 11 subjects as well at that moment including art and photography. I could understand how hard it is to finish coursework but I did enjoy the time when I studied art and I am still carrying on in A2 this year.
Art is quite different compare with other academics subjects because it is not something you study, it is something you do your own research and a subject you really have to push yourself to finish. Also, Art is a subject which have exams a bit earlier therefore you could have time to prepare for other subjects. Personally, I enjoy art because I feel more free when I do art and I've got a high B. I could have got a A but I was too lazy with just 3 painting in my exam book........

I believe you could do well and you like art. Otherwise, you wouldn't have chosen it. You really have to think about it and this year has just started so don't panic but to think wisely. Gd luck:smile:
Only take it up when you think you can manage your overall performance ._. Dropping one subject is better than it affecting your other subjects but then it's really up to you :/
Reply 4
Make sure that your future career plans don't include art skills or anything if you're considering dropping it
Reply 5
Thank you for all your comments offering advice! I successfully dropped my Art GCSE about 4 weeks ago and hope to see my academic performance improve, with all the extra time I now have :smile:

Quick Reply