The Student Room Group

Books

I'm looking for books that might assist me with my Degree. I'm doing a BA in Law and Management, but our Law modules are taught along with the LLB students and we sit the same exams as the LLB students, do the same essays as the LLB Students (but don't get accredited by the Law Society of Scotland :mad:). I was just wondering if there wer any books that I should get that may not be on my book list that would assist (I'm going to do the accelerated LLB upon graduation from my BA so building the skills now would be good) me with my degree.

I alreday have:
"100 Cases That Every Scots Law Student Needs to Know" from the Law basisc series.

BTW the degree is in Scots Law
Reply 1
Studying Scots Law by Hector MacQueen (written by the head of the law school at Edinburgh University) is worth buying. He explains the processes for becoming qualified in Scotland and gives various other hints and tips!

I’m not sure how valuable you’ll find the “100 cases…” book. What is in the syllabus (as in professional subjects) for the B.A. in Scots Law?
Reply 2
I'm also doing management with it this is how the law modules work out:

Semester 1
Legal Systems

Semester 2
Jurisprudence
Constitutional Law

Semester 3
Law of Contarct
Legal Methods
Commercial Law

Semester 4
property Law
Administrative Law

Semester 5
Consumer Law
Low of Business Associations

Semester 6
Delict
Company Law

The final two semestres are made up of the following options plus a dissertation in each semester.

Semesetr 7
Choose three from the following (also includes management units, whih I have left out):
Criminal Law 1
European Union Law: Constitutional Aspects
Police and Society
Family Law 1
Employment Law
Conveyancing Law 1
Law of Trusts and Succession

Semester 8
Choose three from the following (also includes management units, whih I have left out):
Criminal Law 2
European Union Law: Substantive Aspects
International Trade Law
Family Law 2
Revenue Law
Labour Law
Conveyancing Law 2
Medical Ethics and the Law

That is the course.
Reply 3
There aren’t many professional courses left to sit after that. Wouldn’t it be easier to sit the Law Society exams rather than doing a 2 year LLB where you’ll already have taken most of the professional courses? You should also be aware of the costs involved in taking the 2 year LLB. Remember you are not eligible for having your fees paid by the SAAS and they will not offer you a student loan. Here are the details of an alternative route from the Law Society of Scotland’s website.

Law Society Examinations
In order to be eligible to sit the Law Society’s examinations, a candidate must be in full time employment as a pre-Diploma trainee with a qualified solicitor practising in Scotland. The pre-Diploma training contract lasts for three years during which time the trainee must receive training in the three prescribed areas of conveyancing, court work, and either trusts and executries or the legal work of a local authority.
Reply 4
I was advised by my school that the only way forward now was to do the BA and then do teh 2 year LLB to get the exams and accreditaion to move onto my Diploma. I'll speka to lecturers and people like that when I get to uni to see what options are open to me. If the way you described is open and I can do it that way it would suit me a lot better as I would leave uni with less debt.

I had already considered the financial cost and was willing to lok for sources of finance and finiance it myself (I have options open to me) to get to where I wanted to be. I'll also need to see what my requiremenst are for my degree as it is BA Law and Management
Reply 5
It’s just the fact that your B.A. is in law that’s confusing me. If it was management then the 2 year LLB would seem like the obvious choice. Most people who already have a B.A. take this route into the legal profession. By doing a B.A. in legal studies/ law surely you’ll be going over work previously covered?
I don’t really know much about it, though. Would it not be easier to take a year out a re-apply to an LLB course? I don’t know what highers you’ve got but there are also places in clearing for Caledonian University (in Glasgow). The entry requirements are AABBB.
Reply 6
I only currently have AABD. I had an offer for the LLB for AABC at RGU (B had to be in English). I got a D in English (If I had got around 10 marks more I'd have secuerd my B, but there is nothing that can be done about that now). I am appealing English, but will only get a C if the appeal goes through. RGU offered me the BA in Law and Management as it was the closest course they had to the origional choice I had put in for. My Insurance offer rejected me based on my final grades (they were looking for AACC).

Based on all of this I spoke to my Guidance teacher at School, discussed it with my parents and thought about it. I was told I could still become as solicitor if I did the BA and then the accelerated LLB - there was no mention of the alternative route into the profession. So that is what I decided to do. I thought it all through first. My line of thought was (knowing how teh cousre was structured, administered and examined) that the BA Law and Management would give me the knowledge I needed to decide if it was what I wanted to do (go itno teh legal profession). Also at the same time having alreday done the modules first doing them for a second time for the LLB (while being boring and covering old ground) would possibly help me understand the modules better and give me a better chance of passing the LLB well.

Plus the University said if I were to show that I ws coping very well with the BA (by the end of Second year). I could be cosnidered to finish my final two years on the LLB program (ie join the LLB at yera 3) - according to the University this can be done in co-operation with the Law Society. I was never expecting this to happen, so it didn't really form part of my decision-making process.

So that is the short version of how I got to the point I'm at now (it does get more complex with personal and family reasons)
Reply 7
Fair enough. In most prospectuses it says a B for higher English is required for law. You could always take a year out and sit the higher exam at a college and gain some valuable work experience (and money!) by working for a solicitor doing general paperwork/ photocopying. It might cut a few years off the journey to qualifying as a solicitor and save you some money.
If your dead cert. on what you’re doing then go for it, good luck :smile: !
Reply 8
I'll probably just stick with what I'm doign as funding and accomodation etc are all sorted out. I've got a few years to think about the next step so it'll get a lot of thought. I'll probably try gettig work in a solicitors firm (either paid or voluntary) and see what happens. Thaks for your advice.

Latest

Trending

Trending