The Student Room Group

Mum's strange behaviour pissing me off

I don't even know how to describe it.

She argues with me for the pettiest of things and can't take it when I stop, goading me on and then when I do say something she gets even more pissed off.

Today she accused me of being obsessed with being healthy. I think I am justified in wanting to eat healthily, I'm out of shape and have a rounded body. All I do is go to the gym a few times a week and eat smaller portions for meals. I've been to eat out twice in the last 10 days and she wanted to buy another takeaway tonight, I said no and rather she'd cook instead. She had a go at me, blah blah blah... gets annoyed saying she won't support me any more because I'm able to live my own life. 2 months ago she would shout at me for not even going to the gym, wasting money on a gym membership and eating unhealthily every day. What is this double standard BS about?

This is just one example... Taking something that happens my life, criticises it and taking it out of me. She's not always like this, in fact it probably happens once a month. But when it does, it just causes problems in the household.

She also wants me to have a girlfriend of the same race and religion. She limited my uni choices to only stay in London and was pissed off when I said I wanted to move out.

Why does she seem so controlling? Am I being unreasonable?
Reply 1
Menopause, probably.
Reply 2
Is she on the rag

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
She did it again, escalating a small issue all because I said "piss". Then she dishes a bunch of BS out on me and can't take it when I defend myself... Then she goes off in a massive sulk just like always.. ****ing hell it's like I'm dealing with a kid here.
Original post by Anonymous
She did it again, escalating a small issue all because I said "piss". Then she dishes a bunch of BS out on me and can't take it when I defend myself... Then she goes off in a massive sulk just like always.. ****ing hell it's like I'm dealing with a kid here.

Why don't you ask her what's going on? Ask her what she has against you.
I think that she's scared she has less control over you since you're growing up. She wants you nearby so she can control you, and the gym thing is control as well.

Sshe basically wants you to do whatever she wants. By going against her, show her you don't need her opinion.
I don't even know how to describe it.

She argues with me for the pettiest of things and can't take it when I stop, goading me on and then when I do say something she gets even more pissed off.

Today she accused me of being obsessed with being healthy. I think I am justified in wanting to eat healthily, I'm out of shape and have a rounded body. All I do is go to the gym a few times a week and eat smaller portions for meals. I've been to eat out twice in the last 10 days and she wanted to buy another takeaway tonight, I said no and rather she'd cook instead. She had a go at me, blah blah blah... gets annoyed saying she won't support me any more because I'm able to live my own life. 2 months ago she would shout at me for not even going to the gym, wasting money on a gym membership and eating unhealthily every day. What is this double standard BS about?

This is just one example... Taking something that happens my life, criticises it and taking it out of me. She's not always like this, in fact it probably happens once a month. But when it does, it just causes problems in the household.

She also wants me to have a girlfriend of the same race and religion. She limited my uni choices to only stay in London and was pissed off when I said I wanted to move out.

Why does she seem so controlling? Am I being unreasonable?

Once a month you say. It honestly sounds like PMS (pre-menstrual stress). Considering the fact that you might have been bought up in a muslim houshold you might not have had an open discussion about female issues so you see this as her being annoying rather than hormonal (Not meant in a condensing way i know lots of muslims). Be patient with her. Paradise and feet and all that. This whole reply is based on my assumption that you are a muslim so sos if im wrong.
Once a month you say. It honestly sounds like PMS (pre-menstrual stress). Considering the fact that you might have been bought up in a muslim houshold you might not have had an open discussion about female issues so you see this as her being annoying rather than hormonal (Not meant in a condensing way i know lots of muslims). Be patient with her. Paradise and feet and all that. This whole reply is based on my assumption that you are a muslim so sos if im wrong.

Perhaps things have been resolved in the 4 years since this thread was posted...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending