The Student Room Group

Work Experience/Volunteer Work

I have recently started my a levels and am strongly considering pursuing a career in law.

On a wednesday afternoon all students at our school have two lessons free to undertake an activity of their choice. I am considering doing either some work experience, voluntary work, or community service.However at the moment I am a bit stuck for ideas.

I have already done the shadowing a solicitor for a week thing, and was wondering if anyone could suggest something different for example some volunteer work, or community service relevant to law?
See if you can volunteer at a general advice centre, such as a Citizens' Advice Bureau. Failing that, try a voluntary organistaion that also runs a helpline or drop-in service for its client group. You're probably too young to be allowed to give advice (liability insurers set an age threshold) but they may let you sit in with advisers, or work on reception, or help with back-office work, etc. There's no quicker way to become savvy. When I first did it (full-time for a year before my law degree) it very quickly taught me how the world really works. First lesson: if you're poor, you always get shafted.

Latest

Trending

Trending