The Student Room Group

I feel dejected

Hi. I just received very poor AS grades and my family are very disappointed with me. I was aiming to go for medicine but I am unsure as to whether I can reach that goal. My family keeps on pointing that out and keep on comparing me to other people who have clearly done better than me.My parents keep on accusing me of lying because they think I haven't worked hard. All they ever do is point out what they have done for me and how much better it would be if they such sent me back to India. I know that I will do better this year 13 and resit my modules and apply again next year but my family keeps on putting me down and saying I will never get in. I have been feeling really bad and keep thinking how it will be better for my family if I wasn't around. I keep on having suicidal thoughts and really don't know what to do. I just want to get this out after having locked this up for so many weeks. Thank you.
Hi
Thanks for your post. I am sorry for the delay in replying, I have had issues with my account and problems posting but it's all sorted now.

I am sorry you feel you did not get the grades you wanted. It sound like your family have some very unfair expectations of you and are not being supportive. I am sure you worked hard, it must be hard with this pressure surrounding you. Also, you are right in that you can turn this around and re-sit. Maybe they don't understand how this works?

I am very concerned to hear that you have been feeling suicidal. This is very serious. I am really glad that you came here to talk about it as you are not alone with this.
I am not an expert in exams and re-sits but I know there will be other places on TSR where you can get some excellent support and advice. In terms of how you are feeling though I really want you to get some support. I honestly do not think that you family would be better off if you weren't around. You may feel like that, but I am sure they do not think that despite how they are acting. And, even if they did - you have so much to offer and look forward to. They may not understand how the exam system works but you do and you know that you can do better this year and re-sit. Focus on all the things you have to look forward to, including going to uni and having some space away from your family where you can grow and live away from that pressure.

If you do feel suicidal at all there is a really good organisation you can contact called Papyrus - https://www.papyrus-uk.org/
0800 068 41 41
Mon-Fri 10:00 am to 10:00 pm
Weekends 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm.

They are lovely and will be able to listen and help you.
Please try and think about all you have to live for and look forward to, and come back here anytime you need to talk,
take care
Jo

Quick Reply

Latest