The Student Room Group

How can I back out from a confirmed place?

Hi, I've cancelled my student finance application as I'm taking a gap year but I can't figure out how to withdraw from the university course. Do I need to contact them perhaps?
Reply 1
Yes, I would advise you to contact them so they can guide you through what to do. Are you completely withdrawing from the university course altogether, or are you going to be attending next year in 2015?

If you're withdrawing altogether, then I think you need to be released from your offer by the university and by any accommodation contracts, if any.

Good luck!
If you're planning to go to the same uni next year, you need to ask to defer, not withdraw. However, they don't have to say yes to deferral, so you may be faced with the choice of going this year or withdrawing, reapplying and possibly not getting another offer from that uni.

You need to ask to to defer / withdraw by ringing up your academic department at the university.

If you've got a place in university owned halls then I would also recommend contacting the accommodation office too, and they shouldn't have a problem with you not turning up. However, if you've signed a contract for accommodation in the private sector (ie private halls or a shared house) then they're highly unlikely to just let you out of the contract. You're highly likely to find that you need to find a replacement tenant (which can be very difficult, to the point of being impossible) or have to pay the rent for the whole year for a property you're not living in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending