The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
what is double breasted and what is single breasted?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
If you have a balldress, resist the temptation to wear it before your summer ball. For everything else, a cocktail dress will do (if it's Black Tie dresscode), or for formals, just any smart clothes will do, e.g. skirt and top/trousers and top. Just as long as you don't wear denim.
Double breasted means that when you do the jacket up, the two sides overlap by a few inches. Single breasted means cut more like a DJ or blazer, where the two sides just meet in the middle.
Did you find that many people from your college went to the ball/bop in freshers' week? Cos I am thinking of buying tickets in advance just to be organised, but I don't want to find that everyone else is doing something different and I'm going on my own?!

Balldress situation is tricky. I am going to bring all the ones I have; I'm lucky- last year a lot of my friends had black tie dos for their 18ths, but I think a couple will do, even one, if you wear different shoes and accessories. A dress can look quite different then.

Am getting quite nervous now, I have to admit. There are so many things to think of and remember!
Reply 23
DONT buy tickets to events before you get there
Bring all the posh clothes you have, and don't buy tickets in advance. Freshers' ball is crap, always has been, always will be. Don't go unless you take a hipflask, as queues will be massive and drinks overpriced (£4 a pint for pissy Carling).
B....b...but they have Chesney Hawkes!
Reply 26
Fair enough, the Freshers Ball is a bit crap, but you can still have a good laugh if you get a good crowd together. So basically just don't buy any tickets yet and see what everyone else is doing when you get to Durham.
sooo glad you guys said the ball is crap coz I had kinda talked myself out of the idea...thought £35 was a bit steep for the type of event Im not keen on anyway....shame though since I bought a gorgeous dress. Liking the other events that are on in freshers week though. What about the bop?
thumper_bear_09
sooo glad you guys said the ball is crap coz I had kinda talked myself out of the idea...thought £35 was a bit steep for the type of event Im not keen on anyway....shame though since I bought a gorgeous dress. Liking the other events that are on in freshers week though. What about the bop?

The bop will be great this year, amd the ball will be pretty damn fun if you go too, actually - just get together a group of your new friends and enjoy.
http://www.dsu.org.uk/freshers/?page=freshers_week
Chesney's good for a laugh too...

Latest