The Student Room Group

Need your help with Access course to Medicine please

Hi all,

Apologies if this has already been done but I did a little searching and couldn't find and answer so hoping you guys can help.

I want to apply to the next access course to medicine in Glasgow since I missed the cut off this time round.

My question is about ukcat. Do I need to do the ukcat before I apply to or possibly get in to the access course?

On the access course website for Glasgow it does not mention doing the ukcat before applying to this course and I am confused about that.

If anyone can get in touch and let me know I would be very grateful. Thanks
Reply 1
Can anyone help? :s
UKCAT is for medicine entry, not for access to medicine course entry.
Reply 3
Original post by theresheglows
UKCAT is for medicine entry, not for access to medicine course entry.

Hi thanks for that. I did think that however I called the college and the lady said I need to do the ukcat in order to get in to the access course?

I found that strange. I'm going to call back Monday to double check why that is

Its for Glasgow uni I don't know if they have a different entry criteria?
Original post by Greenhornet
Hi thanks for that. I did think that however I called the college and the lady said I need to do the ukcat in order to get in to the access course?

I found that strange. I'm going to call back Monday to double check why that is

Its for Glasgow uni I don't know if they have a different entry criteria?

This seems very strange to me. What college is it?

Check with Glasgow uni as well to make sure that they do accept this access course, as they don't mention acceptable access courses on their website.
Reply 5
Hi there,

I may be able to help a little on this. I am an access student however came from Perth's "Pathway to Medicine" program rather than Stow's access program. UKCAT was not needed to get into the access program however it was a requirement OF the course as if successful in the access program, we were to be presented to St Andrew's for a second interview. If successful, we would gain entrance to the Uni but of course the UKCAT would have had to be done therefor they made sure it was done before the cut-off date. I would just call Stow to ask if you actually need it for entrance. I have heard of some access programs asking for it as a pre-req and have offered conditional acceptances based on a UKCAT score. Again, impossible to say without speaking to the college and asking exactly what it is they need you to do.

Just for the record, I would not only speak to the college about the access program but also Glasgow Uni's medical admissions dept to ensure eligibility and also to find out exactly what they look for in access student.

I am starting 1st year at Glasgow this year as an access student and if there is anything I can assist with, please ask away! Prefer PM though.

-Bubz

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending