The Student Room Group

pay as you go car insurance

whats the best pay as you go car insurance? and has anybody used this? if so how is it? I'm considering this because I'm only going to be doing around 3000 miles this year.
Admiral and Tesco are pretty good, Co-Op is good too if you live in a "correct" post-code.
Original post by Alfissti
Admiral and Tesco are pretty good, Co-Op is good too if you live in a "correct" post-code.

do you think this is a good move for me jonas? I'm getting quotes of around 1400 for comprehensive insurances, but I'm only going to be doing 3000miles so I figured this pay as you go thing might be cheaper. And I've tried to get quotes online from tesco and admiral for pay as you go insurances but they seem to be incorrect, might have to ring them.
Original post by daydreamer93
do you think this is a good move for me jonas? I'm getting quotes of around 1400 for comprehensive insurances, but I'm only going to be doing 3000miles so I figured this pay as you go thing might be cheaper. And I've tried to get quotes online from tesco and admiral for pay as you go insurances but they seem to be incorrect, might have to ring them.

All PAYG systems will require a black-box to be fitted to the car. While it is a good way to get cheaper insurance it isn't always the best way to go about it especially as some of them do have "curfews" or will send your rates spiralling upwards if you drive a lot at night. Some of them also have clauses where you cannot have passengers in the car that isn't related to you.

£1.4k if you don't have any NCB is pretty good and I doubt it would be significantly cheaper using a PAYG system.

Always call up the companies you get a quote from and ask if it can be any cheaper. You never know.
All PAYG systems will require a black-box to be fitted to the car. While it is a good way to get cheaper insurance it isn't always the best way to go about it especially as some of them do have "curfews" or will send your rates spiralling upwards if you drive a lot at night. Some of them also have clauses where you cannot have passengers in the car that isn't related to you.

£1.4k if you don't have any NCB is pretty good and I doubt it would be significantly cheaper using a PAYG system.

Always call up the companies you get a quote from and ask if it can be any cheaper. You never know.

I got quotes now at 1.4k with my dad as secondary driver, and no black box from quinn direct. My dad drives a Audi a2 1.4 hes driven it for for many years and only serviced it 2 3 years ago, the only thing that broke was the CD player, ive noticed this car is worth around 2k on autotrader, do you think its worth looking into?

as usual thanks for the info
Don't get a black box. All that will happen is it will encourage insurance companies to force it on EVERYONE. **** that.
When I applied for my car insurance first time I put in mileage of 3000 I think and got one quote. I was just fiddling around on compare the market to see if I could get it cheaper and when I put my mileage up to 5000 my quotes dropped in price?!
Might have just been for me but well worth using a comparison site and just fiddling some details. Try adding another named driver like another parent or someone else that has a long licence and no points if you could argue they could use your car?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moustasha_
When I applied for my car insurance first time I put in mileage of 3000 I think and got one quote. I was just fiddling around on compare the market to see if I could get it cheaper and when I put my mileage up to 5000 my quotes dropped in price?!
Might have just been for me but well worth using a comparison site and just fiddling some details. Try adding another named driver like another parent or someone else that has a long licence and no points if you could argue they could use your car?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I always use compare the market, I have added my dad as secondary driver, cant even front though as hes the main driver on another car. I've added it up to 5000miles on a few cars now, the quotes turning out the same:confused:

By now I've done quotes for loads of cars, the ones that were the cheapest were renault clio and the toyota yaris at £1400 however that chevy kalos cost 1.6k and vw polo 1.1k. But I havent checked the corsas, by the way whats your beef with them?
I'm most likely gonna end up buying a yaris:s-smilie: I hope its durable and not costly to service
(edited 9 years ago)
I got quotes now at 1.4k with my dad as secondary driver, and no black box from quinn direct. My dad drives a Audi a2 1.4 hes driven it for for many years and only serviced it 2 3 years ago, the only thing that broke was the CD player, ive noticed this car is worth around 2k on autotrader, do you think its worth looking into?

as usual thanks for the info

My ex-MiL has a 05 Audi A2, hers' is a 1.6l that has done 50k plus. I bought it for her last March as it was the few cars that were small and the seating and driving position didn't cause issues with her back.

It is a good car though here in Norway the insurance for it tend to be a bit expensive due to it usually being a total loss in an event of an accident as it is an aluminium intensive car.

If you can find insurance on it that doesn't cost an arm and a leg then go for it, definitely a good car and maintenance isn't a big issue as it mostly uses everyday VW parts from the Polo or Lupo. Fuel consumption on it tend to be very good too due to it being lightweight. Make sure if you get one you find one that hasn't been involved in any accidents as there are very few companies in UK that can properly fix it.

Yeah I always use compare the market, I have added my dad as secondary driver, cant even front though as hes the main driver on another car. I've added it up to 5000miles on a few cars now, the quotes turning out the same:confused:

By now I've done quotes for loads of cars, the ones that were the cheapest were renault clio and the toyota yaris at £1400 however that chevy kalos cost 1.6k and vw polo 1.1k. But I havent checked the corsas, by the way whats your beef with them?
I'm most likely gonna end up buying a yaris:s-smilie: I hope its durable and not costly to service

The Yaris is a good choice though 1.0l models are underpowered. Generally if it had been well maintained then it should be durable and reliable. These aren't cars that cost much to service.

Didn't think the Kalos would be so much more to insure.

Corsa, generally don't like them because the interior tend to be low-rent and not comfortable places to be. Lots of them tend to have wiring issues and don't feel well put together. The Corsa you listed also are prone to water leakage which are difficult to fix.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending