The Student Room Group

Bad tooth, toothache, but can't afford treatment atm

I currently have, what I believe to be, a bad tooth. It was hurting a lot yesterday (excruciating throbbing pain), but today the pain has lessened, apart from having a very tender jaw as well.

The thing is, I am already into my overdraft (which is 200) until my loan goes in, and I don't have an HC2 certificate. I do have an HC3 certificate, but I'm concerned of the costs of treatment if I need anything done as I can't afford it right now :/

Does anyone know what I can do? I had a look at the tooth and it looks like it's decaying to me. I don't know if this is something I should leave for much longer.
Original post by Jabberwox
I currently have, what I believe to be, a bad tooth. It was hurting a lot yesterday (excruciating throbbing pain), but today the pain has lessened, apart from having a very tender jaw as well.

The thing is, I am already into my overdraft (which is 200) until my loan goes in, and I don't have an HC2 certificate. I do have an HC3 certificate, but I'm concerned of the costs of treatment if I need anything done as I can't afford it right now :/

Does anyone know what I can do? I had a look at the tooth and it looks like it's decaying to me. I don't know if this is something I should leave for much longer.

If you're a student I thought you didn't have to pay for treatment if you're on the NHS? Maybe I'm wrong.
Reply 2
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
If you're a student I thought you didn't have to pay for treatment if you're on the NHS? Maybe I'm wrong.

According to the NHS website you have to be under 19 in full time education :frown: I'm 22 and going into my final year in September. So I don't think I'm eligible for free treatment.
Original post by Jabberwox
According to the NHS website you have to be under 19 in full time education :frown: I'm 22 and going into my final year in September. So I don't think I'm eligible for free treatment.

I think it's under 19 or full time education. I think you'll be okay. I think they best thing right now is to call your dentist and find out if you get free treatment. I know how painful these things can be. The longer you leave it, the worse it will get!
Phone up your local NHS dentist for an emergency appointment.

They will sort you out.
http://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Dentist/LocationSearch/3

If anything you will have to pay the minimum £17.
Reply 6
Until you can get an emergency appointment, I recommend Orajel. Its a local anaesthetic cream that you can buy for toothache and mouth ulcers from all pharmacies and supermarkets and its quite cheap. I got it for £3. It worked wonders on my toothache while I had to wait a few days for an appointment when painkillers wouldn't work.

Phoning up a local NHS dentist would be your best bet. If your local hospital has a dental department like mine, you could try calling them up too. Until you get an appointment, Orajel would help with the pain but the most important thing is to get an appointment and get the correct treatment done on the tooth. Even if you do have to pay, some dentists let you pay up every week or so rather than pay it all there and then. Explain your situation and I'm sure everything will work out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending