The Student Room Group

Combining Philosophy and Business

Hello all.

After a hefty amount of research, I've concluded that my perfect course would be Business and Philosophy. I have a passion for both of these subjects and study them both at A-level.

I considered both options as single honours but discovered that Business courses lack academic rigour and Philosophy courses don't have good career prospects. Thus, a joint degree would be the best of both worlds.

However, to my disappointment, I've discovered that such a course is extremely rare.

I'd just like to hear your thoughts - is it too much of an usual combination? Are there universities out there which offer such a course?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Thank you in advance to any replies.
Original post by bradok
Thank you in advance to any replies.

Business courses often lack academic rigour. Philosophy degrees do not have poor employment prospects if they come form a decent university. Joint degrees where there is no mutual link between the two subjects do not add up to full degree value, you may do as much work, but in half the depth or breadth, so less value to employers.

If you are going to get AAA/AAB at A level and therefore get into a strong university, you shouldn't worry about doing Philosophy. If you are going to get less that that then don't do a joint degree unless the two subjects are linked to your professional aspirations (ie two languages, maths and physics etc)
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
Business courses often lack academic rigour. Philosophy degrees do not have poor employment prospects if they come form a decent university. Joint degrees where there is no mutual link between the two subjects do not add up to full degree value, you may do as much work, but in half the depth or breadth, so less value to employers.

If you are going to get AAA/AAB at A level and therefore get into a strong university, you shouldn't worry about doing Philosophy. If you are going to get less that that then don't do a joint degree unless the two subjects are linked to your professional aspirations (ie two languages, maths and physics etc)

Thanks for your input. Lancaster university is an institution which I'm really considering, I'm unsure of whether it's classed as 'strong' though.
Original post by bradok
Thanks for your input. Lancaster university is an institution which I'm really considering, I'm unsure of whether it's classed as 'strong' though.

It's pretty good, but not strong enough to cover doing a joint degree in two disparate subjects.
Reply 5
Original post by threeportdrift
It's pretty good, but not strong enough to cover doing a joint degree in two disparate subjects.

How about a single honours in Philosophy?
Original post by bradok
How about a single honours in Philosophy?

Pretty good, not renowned for its Philosophy, but a decent general reputation. Will you enjoy it and do well there - is what you've got to ask yourself

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending