The Student Room Group

which is harder philosophy or philosophy of religion and ethics

I am doing As levels this year and have picked philosophy as one of my options. However I have heard philosophy has a rather dodgy mark scheme and the raw mark to ums rate for some exams is ridiculous (40 out of 60 = an A on one exam). Is philosophy much harder than philosophy of religion and ethics and does philosophy really have a harsh mark scheme?
Original post by intelligent con
I am doing As levels this year and have picked philosophy as one of my options. However I have heard philosophy has a rather dodgy mark scheme and the raw mark to ums rate for some exams is ridiculous (40 out of 60 = an A on one exam). Is philosophy much harder than philosophy of religion and ethics and does philosophy really have a harsh mark scheme?

I took Philosophy at higher level which will be slightly different. However, the course was very diverse, interesting and challenging! I loved it. There were 4 main topics one being "metaphysics" covering religion in terms of God. It was the easiest part of the course, always picked up full marks. Therefore I'd say - for something easier go for religious studies but for something a little more challenging yet a lot more interesting just go for philosophy. However, I can't be sure how similar As level philosophy and higher philosophy courses are so don't take my word for it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
If guess that, having done it, philosophy and ethics may be slightly easier because of the ethical theories, but I can't imagine there would be much difference

Posted from TSR Mobile
I couldn't really say which is more harder than the other as I only did RE: Philosophy of Religion and Religious Ethics. I thought the workload was intense and the concepts of the philosophical side was harder than the application of ethical theories. However, I believe what made it the hardest A-level I chose was how to structure your essays. A2 was completely different to AS.

Quick Reply

Latest