The Student Room Group

C Grades at GCSE

Poll

What do you think to C grades at GCSE?

C Grades at GCSE - Do you consider them good or bad?

Scroll to see replies

Well really depends on your academic level.
For me I don't like them as they're are too close to a D and are just considered average.
I usually get A/A* grades so a C for me will be disappointing.
Not everyone is vastly academic though.
Reply 2
It depends. Generally it is ok however if it is for a subject you hate with a vengeance then it is good. On the opposite side if you really enjoy it and are really good then it is "bad".

But if someone said they had a GCSE grade for subject X and it was a C. It is ok.
Its an average grade. You can do A levels with them and perhaps go to a decent uni. But as the person stated above, for someone with high expectations it would be the end of the world to get a C.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KettleMan
C Grades at GCSE - Do you consider them good or bad?

They're ok. However they make life harder if you're applying to competitive courses/unis.

I have two C's in English lit/lang :tongue:
getting a C in at least 3 subjects is enough for me to be disowned
Reply 6
Woah, a lot of votes for bad
Depends on the subject/school/teachers
Reply 8
Surely it depends on the educational capacity of the child. Personally I would say a C is bad for the simple fact it is average. To do well in life you should always aspire to be above average.
Reply 9
It's crazy for me to see how many people are disregarding C grades! I got 2 Cs and 2 Ds and I couldn't have been happier to receive these grades. Yes I am/was capable of getting higher in these subjects yet due to problems around exam times I wasn't able to. A C is a pass so of course its good! :biggrin:
Reply 10
If I am terrible at the subject then a C is surprising in a good way, and I'd be happy with that. If it was a subject I was constantly getting As/A*s in (e.g. my psychology GCSE), then a C is very disappointing. Then again, it's still a pass at the end of the day.
will you TSR quit picking on C graders! some people got D/C grades because of the fricking stupid school of sub-teaching for 3 years so why don't you shut the heck up and go and say to a C grader its bad you guys are so negitive!

when I retake all GCSE's this year and get A/A*s from college I wont go and say C is bad its hard enough to get with new reforms
Reply 12
A motivational speaker came in and said his friends Dad told his friend:

A - Acceptable
B- Better
C - Crap

Pretty much how I view my GCSEs.
I, personally, consider Cs very bad. Anything below an A and I would be upset.

As awful as this sounds, I really do not understand how it's possible to do badly enough in GCSEs to get a C. If you get Cs, it's just from a lack of trying hard or revision.
Original post by TheTechN1304
I, personally, consider Cs very bad. Anything below an A and I would be upset.

As awful as this sounds, I really do not understand how it's possible to do badly enough in GCSEs to get a C. If you get Cs, it's just from a lack of trying hard or revision.

That's a bit unfair to those who try hard and get C's. I know people that worked extremely hard for their GCSE's and scraped C's and were happy. To some, a C is your A.
Reply 15
It entirely depends. If you really struggle in a subject and you worked hard to achieve a C then it is a good grade for you. However, if you a good at a subject but just couldn't be bothered then it's a bad grade.
From an employer perspective it depends what a position requires, sometimes grades are not as important as experience and skills.
Original post by lauzy00
If I am terrible at the subject then a C is surprising in a good way, and I'd be happy with that. If it was a subject I was constantly getting As/A*s in (e.g. my psychology GCSE), then a C is very disappointing. Then again, it's still a pass at the end of the day.

I completely agree!
I think there good. When I was waiting to get my GCSE results last month I was hoping to get at least a C in every subject except Maths . I got 1 A(Distinction), 1 B(Merit), 3 Cs, 1 D and 1 E and even though I got a D and an E I still consider them results a good set of results. I got into the sixth form that I wanted to go to and managed to get into the subjects that I wanted to do, the only bad thing about this year is that I'm having to do GCSE English Language again.
It depends if you're personal goal in a subject is a c, like mine was in maths and I got a c then you're happy, but for other subjects if you're personal goal is an A then a C is going to look crap to you. But I got all my personal goals in my gcse's I didn't get all a*'s but I got what I was aiming for.
Reply 19
The attitude of some people on here is appalling and insulting :angry::mad:. Everyone has different aims and different abilities and no one should be put down or deemed "mentally handicapped" because they feel that a Grade C is acceptable, At the end of the day, so long as a person tired their best then the grade they achieve should never be looked down up. Different people each find themselves in different circumstances and have different situations.

I have a lot of problems at school including mild dyslexia and an undiagnosed hearing problem, consequently I fell behind and ended up in remedial. By the time I was 8 years old I was written off as a "hopeless case" who never "achieve anything".

My parents are both alcoholics, they saw no point in education. School provided their kids with a place to go, they wanted us out the way a often as possible as they had no time for their children. There was very little encouragement and even less love at home. My only role was that of a babysitter to my younger siblings while they went out to the pub, often till the early hours of the morning. Consequently I was often too tired to concentrate. I was frequently mocked and put down when I made an attempt to try and achieve something, being reminded that I was "thick" and incapable of achieving anything. My teachers, knowing my parents offered very little support too, assuming that as my parents were alcoholics their children would be incapable of achieving anything and believing we would head the same way as my parents.

The Easter holidays before my GCSE's, my parents expected me to take over the running of the house and given a variety of jobs to do. There was very little time for studying though my parents knew my GCSE's were looming they didn't care less. I achieved DDEEEEFGU. I was really happy with this. Most people looked at my results and said "I told you so, you're thick and we knew you'd not achieve anything.

I knew what I wanted to do with my life, but my grades weren't anywhere near good enough to for what I wanted to do with my life. So began the slow journey of achieving my "dream career". I went to college, most people voiced the opinion that "I wouldn't last till Christmas"

Fast forward twenty years....I have, among my qualifications: two university certificates, Diploma in Higher Education, Bachelor of Science (Hons) and a Graduate Diploma. I have a job I love, which is the job of my dreams. I am a community nurse supporting people with dementia and their families in their own homes.

As of my GCSE results, well I improved them too.

1992 I resat three GCSE's in Child Development, English Literature and Language. I achieved CCD accordingly

1995 I sat and human physiology and health and psychology. I achieved B's for both of these on my first attempt

2014 I re-sat English Language and Maths. These I studied for part time, while working full time while juggling a home life and managing severe unstable asthma and arthritis.
I achieved Maths (Foundation Paper) C and English Language A

So now my results look like this ABBCCCDEFGU. Not brilliant by the standards of many, but I am proud of them because I know what I went through to achieve them.

So please, before shouting your mouth and being scathing towards those that achieve anything below an A, stop and think. Not everyone is the world is capable of achieving the results you have and not everyone has the opportunities you may of been presented with.

Quick Reply

Latest