The Student Room Group

do they even look at cvs !?

hey, wondering if it's better to post your c.v to the shop or to give it in in person? coz sometimes you can't really give it to anyone coz they're all so busy and you know it'll just go straight in the bin! or some1 tells you there are no vacancies when there are. any1 know if shops (e.g h&m, topshop, primark) actually look at c.v's when you post them in?? and are you supposed to ring them up afterwards or is that pushy?
Reply 1
high street stores like those you mention usually don't want CVs - they want application forms. CVs are only really useful for individual (i.e. not chain) stores and for managerial positions.
Go in at a quiet time and ask for an application form. That's the best way.
Reply 2
at subway we get cv's but once the people have gone, throw them in the bin.
Reply 3
I really don't like CV's at all. Some of the store staff that I have come across have all been stuck up and when you ask them if you can hand in your CV, they're like "Ok" and then after I see them shoving in under the shop counter like they don't even care.

I prefer handing in application forms because at least they're more likely to get noticed.
worldwide
high street stores like those you mention usually don't want CVs - they want application forms.
Since when?! :confused:

I've handed in CV's to loads of high street chain stores, and have been phoned back by a lot of them. Topshop rang me back the day after I handed in a CV to them.

The OP: If you have a CV, take it into the shop in person, but make sure you ask if they have vacancies first, as the chances are if they don't the CV might not make it to a manager. Sometimes they might give you an application form, so if you hand that in with a CV it'll be better as you can give a lot more information than in the tiny spaces they give you to fill in.
Reply 5
If they're all reverting to application forms, what happens to us people who have never had a job? Because the majority of the application forms that I've looked at only have sections for your contact details, and then one for previous experience... No place to put other kinds of experience you've had, or your level of education.
I think alot of work places just glance at the CV's.
Reply 7
Carl1982
I think alot of work places just glance at the CV's.

Exactly.

Where we work we get so many CVS given in that unless you have got loads of experience, it wont be looked at and will just be put in the bin. Most places dont even have vacancies yet they still have people handing in CVS, which seems pointless. In my experience, most places dont keep CVS on file for future vacancies, but they will keep application forms.

You really are better off actually finding out first if they've got any vacancies and then filling in the application form rather than just giving in your CV.
Reply 8
virgin converted from application forms BACK to CVs...
Reply 9
PixelHoney
I really don't like CV's at all. Some of the store staff that I have come across have all been stuck up and when you ask them if you can hand in your CV, they're like "Ok" and then after I see them shoving in under the shop counter like they don't even care.

I prefer handing in application forms because at least they're more likely to get noticed.

Well what do you expect the shop assistant to do, stand there and read it?

If they're all reverting to application forms, what happens to us people who have never had a job? Because the majority of the application forms that I've looked at only have sections for your contact details, and then one for previous experience... No place to put other kinds of experience you've had, or your level of education..

On the contrary, a lot of application forms ask relevant questions, such as 'what does customer service mean to you', or 'name a time you helped someone' etc etc. And I have never seen a form that doesn't ask your qualifications. You may think it doesn't ask much, but it asks what they want to know. Sure, you may put on a CV that you are captain of the football team, but that isn't going to get you a job because, simply, it does not interest them.
Reply 10
Well what do you expect the shop assistant to do, stand there and read it?

Not really as most CVs should be forwarded to the manager or whoever is in charge of the recruitment process. Unless there is a box underneath the counter that is specifically for CVs.

If you have a CV, take it into the shop in person, but make sure you ask if they have vacancies first, as the chances are if they don't the CV might not make it to a manager.

I agree with this. At this shopping centre I go to they have a vacancy board where employers can advertise any vacancies they have. Tomorrow they've got a recruitment fair so I'm going to try my luck :smile:
Reply 11
PixelHoney
Not really as most CVs should be forwarded to the manager or whoever is in charge of the recruitment process. Unless there is a box underneath the counter that is specifically for CVs.

Wherever I have worked, the manager is normally never around! We tend to collect all stuff for them under the till where your personal details are safe, and hand them in at the end of the day or the next time someone goes up to the offices.
Reply 12
Alex Mann
Wherever I have worked, the manager is normally never around! We tend to collect all stuff for them under the till where your personal details are safe, and hand them in at the end of the day or the next time someone goes up to the offices.

I didn't mean it by handing it to the manager straight away because in my last job the manager was hardly there. Companies I have approached in the past have always said they never got my CV. Sometimes I ring them up and ask them if my CV has been looked at. Not all companies are like this but I'm only talking from my personal experience. I've had more responses from application forms than my CV where I've heard nothing.
Don't bother with CVs. Application forms all the way. Mind you, having said that, I once handed in an application form to TK Maxx and watched the woman screw it up and throw it in the bin. Didn't even read it. Had a huge smirk on her face. What a bitch.
At Laura Ashley we only ever take CVs - if somebody hands one in, then they go into the Daily Comms folder and go to the manager to have a look at. If she likes the look of someone on paper, she'll invite them to interview.

It's what I did - and I got the job :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending