The Student Room Group

2015 IBD Graduate Program

Hi guys
I'm new here, I've spent a couple of days reading other threads and found them really helpful.
I've noticed that a thread on Graduate Program applications is missing.
What about sharing our experiences on our application processes?

My background:
Starting in September my last year at target business school, finally graduating in May 2015 in Finance.
Done 2 summer internships in MM IB

Started to apply for Graduate Programs last week. That's what I've done so far:
-GS
-Credit Suisse
-BofA ML (done first part of app, then online tests, now have to complete second part of app)
-Deutsche Bank (already rejected -2days after having done app and tests)
-Nomura
-BlackRock

Still have to do Citi, which has opened a couple of days ago.
JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Barclays haven't opened yet. I will do them too, as soon as they'll be there.

I still don't know if it is worth to do UBS, HSBC, Lazard, Greenhill, Evercore, Rotschild. What do you think?

What's your thoughts on Graduate program? I have been thinking a lot about whether the recruitment process for a placement/off-cycle internship would be less competitive and hard, but haven't come with an answer yet.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) is a terrible thing...
Reply 2
I don't understand why a graduate programmes thread is missing, either.

Let's see if this one takes off.

Did Deutsche Bank give a reason for rejecting you? How did you perform on their tests??
Reply 3
Original post by WSL
I don't understand why a graduate programmes thread is missing, either.

Let's see if this one takes off.

Did Deutsche Bank give a reason for rejecting you? How did you perform on their tests??

No, they didn't. Standard rejection email.
My feeling was ok, I don't think they were difficult, so I believe I did them reasonably ok.

By the way, Barclays has opened yesterday.

How are you doing with your applications? Had some positive feedbacks?
Reply 4
Original post by Enjoy_Life
Hi guys
I'm new here, I've spent a couple of days reading other threads and found them really helpful.
I've noticed that a thread on Graduate Program applications is missing.
What about sharing our experiences on our application processes?

My background:
Starting in September my last year at target business school, finally graduating in May 2015 in Finance.
Done 2 summer internships in MM IB

Started to apply for Graduate Programs last week. That's what I've done so far:
-GS
-Credit Suisse
-BofA ML (done first part of app, then online tests, now have to complete second part of app)
-Deutsche Bank (already rejected -2days after having done app and tests)
-Nomura
-BlackRock

Still have to do Citi, which has opened a couple of days ago.
JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Barclays haven't opened yet. I will do them too, as soon as they'll be there.

I still don't know if it is worth to do UBS, HSBC, Lazard, Greenhill, Evercore, Rotschild. What do you think?

What's your thoughts on Graduate program? I have been thinking a lot about whether the recruitment process for a placement/off-cycle internship would be less competitive and hard, but haven't come with an answer yet.

Yeah good call on the thread.

I had a similar experience with DB, thought the tests went well but was rejected a couple of days ago. I assume you were going for corporate finance too?

I'm at a similar stage to you with applications but haven't done Nomura or Blackrock. My background is a bit unusual so going hoping to get a decent volume of applications out by the end of Sept!
Reply 5
Original post by wajl
Yeah good call on the thread.

I had a similar experience with DB, thought the tests went well but was rejected a couple of days ago. I assume you were going for corporate finance too?

I'm at a similar stage to you with applications but haven't done Nomura or Blackrock. My background is a bit unusual so going hoping to get a decent volume of applications out by the end of Sept!

This DB stuff sounds strange.

Are you applying only for graduate programs or considering also Off-cylce and placement programs?

I have actually never done graduate programs' processes and interviews but I have the feeling that they must be tough and complicated. That's why I am thinking whether long internships might be less hard and competitive and still a good chance to get a FT offer in the end.
Reply 6
This DB stuff sounds strange.

Are you applying only for graduate programs or considering also Off-cylce and placement programs?

I have actually never done graduate programs' processes and interviews but I have the feeling that they must be tough and complicated. That's why I am thinking whether long internships might be less hard and competitive and still a good chance to get a FT offer in the end.

From my (limited) experience it does seem that off cycles are slightly less competitive and generally tend to have a less extensive recruitment process. For example, last year I had an assessment centre for a winter internship at RBS, so basically an off cycle, and they completely jumped over the telephone interview stage.

Having said that I probably wont apply for any off cycles at the moment as most are offered on an ad hoc basis and require immediate starts. As I'm starting a MSc next month I'd be a bit worried about juggling the two - I'll probably see how my grad apps go and if nothing comes through go for off cycles next year.

I think placements are only available if they are required for your course, not sure about the details though
I heard a lot of people got rejected from Deutsche post tests. Could be due to no headcount for IBD.
Reply 8
Original post by charleshughes
I heard a lot of people got rejected from Deutsche post tests. Could be due to no headcount for IBD.

Yeah maybe, its stupid that they opened for applications if that is the case. Those questions took me ages
Reply 9
Original post by wajl
From my (limited) experience it does seem that off cycles are slightly less competitive and generally tend to have a less extensive recruitment process. For example, last year I had an assessment centre for a winter internship at RBS, so basically an off cycle, and they completely jumped over the telephone interview stage.

Having said that I probably wont apply for any off cycles at the moment as most are offered on an ad hoc basis and require immediate starts. As I'm starting a MSc next month I'd be a bit worried about juggling the two - I'll probably see how my grad apps go and if nothing comes through go for off cycles next year.

I think placements are only available if they are required for your course, not sure about the details though

Thanks for sharing.
Yes I know that off-cycle tend to be opened for immediate start, but Citi -for example- has opened a position for a placement/off cycle (IB - M&A something) starting June 2015. Weird but nice to consider.
Reply 10
Anybody did BofA-ML test? I did it and then I almost immediately received the "invitation" to complete the application form with competency questions.
Does that mean that I passed the tests or it has nothing to do with that and it is an automatic step?
Reply 11
Did anyone actually get a DB offer? Starting to think it would be a waste of time to apply if everyone's getting instant rejections. If they're weren't recruiting in IBD this year, why waste everyone's time?
Reply 12
Original post by WSL
Did anyone actually get a DB offer? Starting to think it would be a waste of time to apply if everyone's getting instant rejections. If they're weren't recruiting in IBD this year, why waste everyone's time?

FYI: It might be the same for RBS. I am not interested on them, but 2 friends have experienced same thing as me with DB.
Reply 13
Guys any status update from GS
FYI:
*GHL closes tomorrow
*MS is open
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
But what about JPM? Isn't it strange that the most of the programs (internships and grads) haven't been released yet?
But what about JPM? Isn't it strange that the most of the programs (internships and grads) haven't been released yet?

JPM converted a majority of their interns this year. Not going to be much headcount left.
Original post by charleshughes
JPM converted a majority of their interns this year. Not going to be much headcount left.

Same for last year. JPM gives out plenty of offers to their interns.
Anyone got invited to the AC for GHL FT?
Original post by surfmonkey
Same for last year. JPM gives out plenty of offers to their interns.

Class of Summer 2014: 5 out of 7 converted to be precise

Quick Reply

Latest