The Student Room Group

Self-teaching A-levels AMA

Seen a lot of people posting about possibly taking their exams externally, thought I'd make a thread so anyone on the fence can gain some insight.

I'v done a lot of research about self-teaching and external exam processes, as well as practical assessments and coursework. I'm currently in my second year of independent learning with no tutors etc, just textbooks and the internet. I achieved AAA AS in Physics, Maths and Biology.

So any questions, belt away :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jf1994
Seen a lot of people posting about possibly taking their exams externally, thought I'd make a thread so anyone on the fence can gain some insight.

I'v done a lot of research about self-teaching and external exam processes, as well as practical assessments and coursework. I'm currently in my second year of independent learning with no tutors etc, just textbooks and the internet. I achieved AAA AS in Physics, Maths and Biology.

Why did you decide to self teach?
Reply 2
Original post by Nangnang
Why did you decide to self teach?

I originally enrolled at my local college to study I.T, which was more of a knee-jerk reaction to my mum freaking that I had no plans for further education. That didn't last long and I dropped out soon after, and I thought I'd just work for a while until I had decided what to do. Saw some textbooks laying around the house one day and I was bored so I thought I'd read them for a bit, and then it hit me that it was all going in :tongue:

Took a mock exam after 2 days of just reading the textbook (it was biology) and got a B, that's when I decided to go for it.
Reply 3
Original post by jf1994

How did you carry out the practical assessment for Physics and make sure your coursework was to a high standard? Well done btw:biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by rwjxo
How did you carry out the practical assessment for Physics and make sure your coursework was to a high standard? Well done btw:biggrin:

I did route X for unit 3, and paid to be assessed at a center in Bristol. I did all my coursework (not actually sure it can be classed as coursework) and my practical in a 3 hour session :smile:
Reply 5
How do you learn so effectively without assistance from a tutor?
What revision methods do you mostly use?
How do you organise your studying/revision?
How many hours do you spend each day studying in a typical week?
Reply 6
Original post by vd12345
How do you learn so effectively without assistance from a tutor?
What revision methods do you mostly use?
How do you organise your studying/revision?
How many hours do you spend each day studying in a typical week?

I find it easy for the stuff I'm learning to go in because I chose 3 subjects that I already found very interesting. All it takes is constant practise and determination, and not letting frustration get the better of you.

With Maths, I use examsolutions.net and do past paper after past paper. With Physics and Biology I just use the textbooks doing one topic at a time. When I don't quite understand a topic I will open up a word processor and copy the entire page in my own writing. Then do a heap of past papers.

Organisation is pretty non-existant for me, which is actually something I hope to change for my second year lol.

I probably spend between 2-3 hours studying in one day but I don't study on weekends unless I know I've been lazy with it in the week. Also when I know I'm behind (I allow myself 1 month to master 1 unit) I will sit down for 5+ hours in a day and just work.
Reply 7
Original post by jf1994
I find it easy for the stuff I'm learning to go in because I chose 3 subjects that I already found very interesting. All it takes is constant practise and determination, and not letting frustration get the better of you.

With Maths, I use examsolutions.net and do past paper after past paper. With Physics and Biology I just use the textbooks doing one topic at a time. When I don't quite understand a topic I will open up a word processor and copy the entire page in my own writing. Then do a heap of past papers.

Organisation is pretty non-existant for me, which is actually something I hope to change for my second year lol.

I probably spend between 2-3 hours studying in one day but I don't study on weekends unless I know I've been lazy with it in the week. Also when I know I'm behind (I allow myself 1 month to master 1 unit) I will sit down for 5+ hours in a day and just work.

who does your predicted grades and reference for you? also, when do you start doing past papers or is it just a continuous ongoing process throughout the year?
Reply 9
Original post by neal95
who does your predicted grades and reference for you? also, when do you start doing past papers or is it just a continuous ongoing process throughout the year?

I've mentioned briefly in my personal statement that since I have noone to do an academic reference for me, my line manager at work will be doing me a character reference. As far as predicted grades go, all I've said is that I will be aiming for at least AAA.

I do past papers once I've completed a module. I'll try to get one module done in 20 days and then spend the remaining 10 days of the month doing past papers. Ocassionally I'll spend an entire day doing past papers of all my subjects, just to make sure I'm not forgetting what I've learned :smile:
Original post by jf1994
I've mentioned briefly in my personal statement that since I have noone to do an academic reference for me, my line manager at work will be doing me a character reference. As far as predicted grades go, all I've said is that I will be aiming for at least AAA.

I do past papers once I've completed a module. I'll try to get one module done in 20 days and then spend the remaining 10 days of the month doing past papers. Ocassionally I'll spend an entire day doing past papers of all my subjects, just to make sure I'm not forgetting what I've learned :smile:

Awesome that's a really good method and I'm doing something similar in regards to learning module by module :smile: which unis are you applying for btw? :smile:
Gcse grades?

Recommendation in self teaching AS maths Edexcel?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by neal95
Awesome that's a really good method and I'm doing something similar in regards to learning module by module :smile: which unis are you applying for btw? :smile:

Birmingham, Warwick, Leicester and Nottingham :smile: wbu?

Original post by grassntai
Gcse grades?

Recommendation in self teaching AS maths Edexcel?

Posted from TSR Mobile

English Language A, Literature B, Maths B, Additional Maths B, Triple Science B, and an assortment of D's and E's :tongue:

Go for it, honestly can't see anyone have problems with just the one subject, as long as they're willing to put the effort in.
Original post by jf1994

With Maths, I use examsolutions.net and do past paper after past paper.

Any other sites you use for maths? I love examsolutions but was wondering if there were any equally as good alternatives, for a change of scenery - per se.

I know of m4ths and hegartymaths but haven't got round to using them yet (maybe they could be of use to you in fact) :tongue:
Reply 14
Original post by jf1994
Birmingham, Warwick, Leicester and Nottingham :smile: wbu?

English Language A, Literature B, Maths B, Additional Maths B, Triple Science B, and an assortment of D's and E's :tongue:

Go for it, honestly can't see anyone have problems with just the one subject, as long as they're willing to put the effort in.

Did you not do A levels in school? I wanted to but got bad GCSE results in school, all C's and D's because I was so lazy lol.
Reply 15
Original post by blackened_sky
Any other sites you use for maths? I love examsolutions but was wondering if there were any equally as good alternatives, for a change of scenery - per se.

I know of m4ths and hegartymaths but haven't got round to using them yet (maybe they could be of use to you in fact) :tongue:

I used to use khanacademy a bit but honestly, I prefer Stuart :tongue: Thanks for the suggestions! Never heard of them but I'll check them out :smile:

Original post by kealan
Did you not do A levels in school? I wanted to but got bad GCSE results in school, all C's and D's because I was so lazy lol.

Nah I was doing a BTEC I.T course at my local college but packed it in within the first year. I was the same in high school, only really pulled my finger out in the end half of my final year, by which time I'd flunked most of my coursework :rolleyes: I can remember my D&T teacher going mental at me 2 weeks before our work was due to be sent off because my folder containing all of my work mysteriously 'disappeared'. I still suspect my **** of a P.E teacher was behind it :mad:
Reply 16
How socially awkward are you on a scale from 1 to 10, 1 being very socially awkward and 10 being not remotely socially awkward?
self teaching was always better than school for me
Reply 18
Original post by nohomo
How socially awkward are you on a scale from 1 to 10, 1 being very socially awkward and 10 being not remotely socially awkward?

5. Why?
Reply 19
Original post by jf1994
5. Why?

You know...the homeschooled stereotype

Quick Reply

Latest