The Student Room Group

Taking a gap year to get to a better university.

Okay, so I didn't reach anywhere near my potential for my AS levels. I got really over-confident and thought I had everything under control, only for results day to feel like some sort of rude awakening. Now my teachers don't think that I could still pull back, work hard and get formidable A2 results and therefore, they are predicting grades which would still get me into an average university, but not to a place where I would really like to be. So I'm just going to go ahead with everything, hopefully get some offers and sit my A2 levels. Now let's say I do significantly better than the teachers predicted and what the "average" universities offered. Do you think it would be worth taking a gap year? I can find work and gain some experience related to the course I'd like to do. My only fear is how would the top universities like Imperial, Durham and Warwick view this? If I'm really doing something useful during the gap year, and I've done really well for my A2's, are they more likely to make an offer?
If you are using the gap year in the best way, then why not? I personally think they will (According to what your results are and everything...)
There is no harm in taking a gap year. Id personally prefer a gap year over a lesser grade uni!

Quick Reply

Latest