The Student Room Group

University and bulking

I'm going to be one broke ass in university due to my high accommodation fee's (especially 1st term when it's like £150-£300 more than 2nd and 3rd) and the fact that I'll be moving into my accommodation on the 13th or 14th of September where freshers won't start until 22nd and ends beginning of October...

but anyway to those who have been university and bulked up, how did you afford it? I'll be taking my protein powder but I have roughly £50 a month to live on until December (not including my student overdraft) and is bulking with this much even do-able when I'll be drinking and that?

any tips/idea's on low price but high protein meals
Reply 1
Go to a butcher for cheap cuts of meat, or buy into the multibuy offers at the supermarkets, I can get a lot of mince and chicken, sausages etc. for a tenner.

Rice and pasta are cheap, as are potatoes, eggs etc. buy everything in bulk.

Make yourself a diy protein shake each day, big bag of oats, protein powder. banana, peanut butter, olive oil, ice cream even. Doesn't add up to a lot.
Create a iifym meal plan.

Neck a 1500 - 2000kcal home made shake. Don't by gainer shakes or expensive whey, purchase blend whey then mix it with home ingredients [pea-nut butter, milk, oats].

You should be aware of cheap sources of protein [fish, chicken, minced meat, pea nuts, milk, pie and cheese]. Cheap source of carbs [rice, pasta, spaghetti, pie, bread and oats]. Cheap source of fats [burgers, cheese, nuts, pie, pizza and oils].

I find it only gets expensive when ones wants to cut. Cutting removes the flexibility you once had.
Reply 3
Original post by Joshale
I'm going to be one broke ass in university due to my high accommodation fee's (especially 1st term when it's like £150-£300 more than 2nd and 3rd) and the fact that I'll be moving into my accommodation on the 13th or 14th of September where freshers won't start until 22nd and ends beginning of October...

but anyway to those who have been university and bulked up, how did you afford it? I'll be taking my protein powder but I have roughly £50 a month to live on until December (not including my student overdraft) and is bulking with this much even do-able when I'll be drinking and that?

any tips/idea's on low price but high protein meals

If your serious about making gains then try and get a job once a week or something to pay for the increased food bill and leave enough to go out and enjoy yourself. Trust me you don't want to dirty bulk with pizzas and burgers youll just get fat and lose muscle cutting the fat off. Typically markets tend to have cheaper food so if you can find a local one its all good. Protein powder is probably the cheapest, a mate recently said myprotein does 2.5kg for £26 and theres lots of 10% dicounts if you search the web.
Original post by Henry94
If your serious about making gains then try and get a job once a week or something to pay for the increased food bill and leave enough to go out and enjoy yourself. Trust me you don't want to dirty bulk with pizzas and burgers youll just get fat and lose muscle cutting the fat off. Typically markets tend to have cheaper food so if you can find a local one its all good. Protein powder is probably the cheapest, a mate recently said myprotein does 2.5kg for £26 and theres lots of 10% dicounts if you search the web.

Burgers and pizzas are not bad for a bulk. I just try stay away from trans fat and also sugars, now that is what a call a waste of calories.

Do you even know what a dirty bulk is? A dirty bulk is to bulk with a excessive caloric surplus.
IIFYM, or flexible dieting, is a method of dieting that revolves around meeting daily macronutritional intake targets, and not on what you eat to get there. Now if one was to set a good caloric goal, they can get there by eating rice, pizza or via a burger or two. Its all about the caloric/macro nutrient value behind the food, not the myths behind it. If you let the myths guide you, you will soon be scared to consume white rice and white bread. Flexible and effective dieting is what a student needs, if he or she wants to succeed without leaving a hole in their pocket.

Btw if you train well and...

Bulk in a conservative manner you will gain muscle and some fat.

If you dirty bulk whilst hitting you will gain muscle and also a lot of fat. The excess calories your body does not need will be stored. You don't lose muscle whilst dirty bulking, that is some bull you just created.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest