The Student Room Group

why has it become so hard to get a job now?

after finishing college i decided it was time for me to try and get into the working world
but soon realised there was nothing really there left for me in terms of employment and i was unemployed for 4 years after finishing college when i was 18

i was unemployed for 4 years till i got a job that i actually liked to do since im kinda picky
so anyways right now i work as a production and packaging assistant full time

why has it go so hard to get a job now my dad is in his late 50s and it was much easier to get a job in his generation
Reply 1
Original post by ednut

i was unemployed for 4 years till i got a job that i actually liked to do since im kinda picky
why has it go so hard to get a job

I find this pretty ironic

Original post by ednut

why has it go so hard to get a job

There's a lot of articles already on the web based on various speculations

Original post by ednut

it was much easier to get a job in his generation

If you mean retail / non graduate jobs, I think you can see for yourself that there is high contention for jobs for various reasons. As for STEM jobs, I don't think there is a shortage. I know plenty of companies recruiting all the time; there is however, a skills gap. Which partially occurs because many graduates are not getting jobs in their chosen field, having to work in retail and essentially contending for the same positions as you would be.
It is hard getting jobs in anything, I gained paid work with agencies in call centre.s, done lots of voluntary work, applied for jobs in retail, odd job in IT as there aren't many around here, I've decided to try for part time cleaning,

I want to go back university but can't afford it at the moment, if I can get two part time Jobs or a full time job I'd be happy to learn new skills and gain paid work

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending