The Student Room Group

Does it surprise you how people can perceive exercise so differently?

It surprises me how much gap there is in the way people percieve exercise. I like many people used to class myself as fit and would see going for 2 mile run as this big thing that I would have to eat 'properly' before for and it was the highlight of my week in terms of exercise. Then I met some runners (not extremely competitive or anything, just amateur doing it for fun) who thought nothing of going for a 3 mile warm up run before doing an interval session or similar training. Exercise occurred in some form most days for them and now I exercise most days and think nothing of doing a 2 mile warm up (3 is still a bit far haha). But yea now when people say they go to the gym twice a week on the treadmill for 20 mins and are not improving/losing weight or whatever I just realise how there's so much difference in how people view exercise. I was talking to a guy who is trying to get fitter/lose weight and had been watching TV all weekend I said 'TV what happened to the gym' he said 'isn't 3 times a week enough'. I thought well it's not if the rest of the week (95% of the week!) he is sitting down either at home or at work. I think a lot of people have lost sight in what is the 'norm'. In society the norm is sitting down most of the day, exercise might include a short walk to the shop! I think the norm biologically (people will dispute this but it's just my opinion) is for people to be moving/walking/exercising in some form most of the day, what I mean is we are not really supposed to be sitting down resting all day yet it's classed as the norm.

I know now you already know all this haha I'm just saying what is on my mind all the time. Doesnt it surprise you how some people think nothing of running miles everyday yet others class walking to the shop twice a week as an exercise session? It's like totally different frame of mind.
Original post by civilstudent
Doesnt it surprise you how some people think nothing of running miles everyday yet others class walking to the shop twice a week as an exercise session? It's like totally different frame of mind.

Nope
tldr
Reply 3
too long; did read.

According to this:

http://www.marketresearchworld.net/content/view/164/

4.5m people are signed up to a gym.
Only 27% actually go regularly.

1,215,000 people go to a gym regularly in the UK.
And I bet half don't go anything meaningful.

600k.

Population of the UK - 63,182,000
minus <15 (children) = 11.1 million

= 52,082,000.

600,000/52,082,000 = 1.15%

We are part of the 1.15%.
Original post by tehforum
too long; did read.

According to this:

http://www.marketresearchworld.net/content/view/164/

4.5m people are signed up to a gym.
Only 27% actually go regularly.

1,215,000 people go to a gym regularly in the UK.
And I bet half don't go anything meaningful.

600k.

Population of the UK - 63,182,000
minus <15 (children) = 11.1 million

= 52,082,000.

600,000/52,082,000 = 1.15%

We are part of the 1.15%.

This actually makes me feel a lot better about myself :p: Thanks for this :smile:

Not that I go to the gym, but I normally exercise 4 times a week (swimming/running) and looking to up this.

Quick Reply

Latest