The Student Room Group

A* predictions-what did you get in AS?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mutleybm1996
Why do people retake F322?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Our college recommends ALL A2s retake it because F324 is supposedly so similar and everyone raises their grades.
Why do people improve in A2? Does the trend tend to apply for Sciences or Humanities?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is simply because people work harder, as far as I can tell.

As for sciences vs humanities... the sample size I have for humanities A*s is absolutely minuscule. I know of 2 humanities A*s at my school, and one of them I'm not certain about (one in sociology and the unsure one in English). On the other hand the school had a large collection of science A*s. Those two who did get humanities A*s did improve between the years.

I feel I've been to focused on the A* grade here though. There are plenty of cases of large improvement in lower grades. For example, my friend went from BBBB (maths, physics, history and chemistry) to AAA (maths, physics and history).

As far I can tell, there is a general trend of improvement across most if not all subjects - which is perhaps why may universities will offer places on courses with AAA (for example) requirements to people with Bs at AS.
A guy in my Chemistry class is predicted an A* despite a C at AS so keep your heads up guys and girls! With resits and hard work anything is achievable

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
A guy in my Chemistry class is predicted an A* despite a C at AS so keep your heads up guys and girls! With resits and hard work anything is achievable

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's just stupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was predicted A* in F.Maths with around 85% at AS

Posted from TSR Mobile

While it is possible, that's a bit of a risky prediction and universities might not take it seriously.
Original post by __Adam__
I was predicted A* in F.Maths with around 85% at AS

While it is possible, that's a bit of a risky prediction and universities might not take it seriously.

He's applying for Physics at Cambridge and just had a bad exam so i hear. Besides F324(i think...) is very similar to F322 so that'll be easy for him to up his mark and F321 caught a lot of people out this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
He's applying for Physics at Cambridge and just had a bad exam so i hear. Besides F324(i think...) is very similar to F322 so that'll be easy for him to up his mark and F321 caught a lot of people out this year

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's why I said it was possible, I had a bad physics exam and got 210 UMS at AS because of it, but managed to improve a lot in second year. I know you can improve that your grade that much, but some universities who don't know you might think differently unless your reference can explain the gap between your prediction and your AS grade.

Of course, it's not just grades that matter, a good interview/PS/reference can cover for your AS grades not being good enough without risking people seeing your predictions as inflated.
(edited 9 years ago)
Why do people retake F322?

Posted from TSR Mobile

F324 is apparently so similar most people retake f322 because they can dramatically improve their ums thus overall grade
Reply 68
Original post by lecafe88
Hey all,

I understand this question varies from school/teacher but I'd like to hear cases from other people and how they were/are predicted. Personally I got 86% (258/300) in my AS Chemistry exam Edexcel. Do I have to have some wicked 90%+ score at AS in order to get an A* prediciton, or is this score still indicative that I have a reasonable shot at the A* (I know it is over 80 but is that enough?)

Similarly for those who have lower predictions, did you get predicted a grade above your AS score or was it based solely on your AS mark? Say if you got 74% in AS, did you get predicted an A (requiring 86% in A2) or did you get predicted a B (requiring 66% in A2)?

Hey! I got predicted an A* in chemistry and biology for A2. I got 94% in chemistry at AS (97.5% average between the two exams, did badly on practical assessments). In biology i got 78% (grade B) and was predicted an A*. This is because at A2 he believes I will do better because in ocr there is a lot of biochemistry and genetic engineering which i find more interesting (also did a nuffield placement over summer on this), while at AS it was mostly stuff I hated :P Aslong as you have atleast 70% at AS you theoretically can get an A* so it doesnt really matter :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest