The Student Room Group

Entering as private candidate, also does A2 make AS "easier"?

tl;dr - 'flopped' AS chem, want to resit but school won't let me, how do I enter myself (AQA)?

I under performed in my AS exams; I got a C in chemistry which is what I plan to apply for this year.

Now most people will probably resit some if not all of the AS units as from my thinking, you're more likely to achieve 85% over AS and then 75% over A2 for an A overall (correct me if I'm wrong), as oppose to what's in the next paragraph...

My "minimum expected grade" (exclusive to my school I think, just a target they set you) is an A. In my situation my average over AS is ~61%, meaning I need ~99% over the A2 units for an to average 80% over the A level and would get an A* anyway (but c'mon, what are the chances?). So mathematically it is impossible for me to achieve an A, only an A*, B, C or below. I also need a good prediction, although a B will suffice an A would be better, but again without resits it's impossible.

My school are difficult about resits, they simply aren't going to allow me to resit CHEM1/CHEM2 and I really do not have the time nor patience to argue with them about it when I should be studying. They are however allowing me to resit the ISA but there is less chance of me gaining UMS in the ISA than in the actual exams.

How do I go about entering myself for CHEM1/CHEM2? Also after studying CHEM4/CHEM5 will it make the AS units easier and reduce revision time? Will having pending units on my UCAS form look detrimental or should I not list any unit grades and only allow uni's to see my current C grade?
Reply 1
bump
are you that guy off youtube?
Reply 3
Original post by Pheoa101
are you that guy off youtube?

Yes how on earth did you know me off that LOL
Reply 4
Original post by TajwarC
tl;dr - 'flopped' AS chem, want to resit but school won't let me, how do I enter myself (AQA)?

How do I go about entering myself for CHEM1/CHEM2? Also after studying CHEM4/CHEM5 will it make the AS units easier and reduce revision time? Will having pending units on my UCAS form look detrimental or should I not list any unit grades and only allow uni's to see my current C grade?

You need to find an exam centre (=any secondary school or college) willing to accept you as a private candidate and you need to make sure they enter you for the exams with your current UCI (which they should do anyway, but check just to make sure) as this is what ties all your results together. Obviously,things are simpler if you can enter at your current centre so do try again there first. (For instance, it gets really messy if you have a clash and have to be at 2 centres simultaneously.)

If you are planning to re-sit then say so.
Original post by TajwarC
Yes how on earth did you know me off that LOL

I was you-tubing A-level advice and noticed your account name and this name is the same
Reply 6
Original post by Compost
You need to find an exam centre (=any secondary school or college) willing to accept you as a private candidate and you need to make sure they enter you for the exams with your current UCI (which they should do anyway, but check just to make sure) as this is what ties all your results together. Obviously,things are simpler if you can enter at your current centre so do try again there first. (For instance, it gets really messy if you have a clash and have to be at 2 centres simultaneously.)

If you are planning to re-sit then say so.

Okay, so in terms of finding another centre, I guess emailing all the local colleges/schools that offer AQA is the right course of action, simply asking "Is it possible for you to enter me for a re sit"?
yes in some cases A2 makes AS easier for example in Maths. Once you have learned C3 and C4, then C1 and C2 are a breeze :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by DeadEnd_96
yes in some cases A2 makes AS easier for example in Maths. Once you have learned C3 and C4, then C1 and C2 are a breeze :smile:

Yeah, I'm finding that with C3/C2, although I don't really need to resit those as I did alright, just S1 :s-smilie:. Doing S2 though this year with further maths so should be alright
Original post by TajwarC
Okay, so in terms of finding another centre, I guess emailing all the local colleges/schools that offer AQA is the right course of action, simply asking "Is it possible for you to enter me for a re sit"?

LOL! I was watching one your videos about AS results earlier today.
Reply 10
Original post by DeadEnd_96
LOL! I was watching one your videos about AS results earlier today.

No way haha second person on this thread to recognize me off of Youtube. need to make some more videos soon by the looks of it
Original post by TajwarC

They won't care that it's a re-sit. You need to ask if they will accept private candidates for AQA A level chemistry exams (almost no one would take you for the ISAs so make it clear that you're not interested in them). If you look on AQA's website they do have a list of centres that accept private candidates but it is neither particularly accurate or comprehensive so don't be limited by it.
Reply 12
Original post by Compost
They won't care that it's a re-sit. You need to ask if they will accept private candidates for AQA A level chemistry exams (almost no one would take you for the ISAs so make it clear that you're not interested in them). If you look on AQA's website they do have a list of centres that accept private candidates but it is neither particularly accurate or comprehensive so don't be limited by it.

Alright, this seems quite important. Thank you :smile:
Original post by TajwarC
Alright, this seems quite important. Thank you :smile:

Not many centres do accept private candidates so be prepared to ring round. It's not possible to make entries until late November and the entry deadline is 21 February so try and sort it out well before then.

Quick Reply

Latest