The Student Room Group

Leicester Medicine Applicants 2015

Poll

What is your application score (A100)

As people were posting a lot in last year's thread I thought I would get one up and running for this year's applications.

Who's thinking of applying?

The scoring system has changed so its hard to know what kind of scores will be needed. The scoring systems can be found, for both courses, here: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/msce/undergraduate/medicine/admissionsupdates

Leicester have also cut their A101 places for this year and will be stopping this course next year.

Leicester Medical School will be reducing the intake of graduates onto the A101, 4 year accelerated MB ChB programme to 32 students for 2015 entry. This will be the final year that the accelerated graduate entry programme will run. The number of places on the A100, 5 year MB ChB programme will be increased accordingly and graduates of any discipline are encouraged to apply to this course.
Our total number of places for Home/EU students remains at 224.

Poll is misnamed- Should be for applicants of A100!
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A little about Leicester

We provide two routes to an MBChB. Our well-established five-year curriculum for applicants with A-levels or equivalent, and a four-year accelerated curriculum for graduates with significant experience working in a caring role. The four-year curriculum for graduates is derived from the five year course, and provides opportunities for a whole new range of entrants to careers in medicine.
The four-year programme is designed to be suitable for a wide range of graduates. It offers a rapid route to medical qualification which recognises the knowledge and experience of entrants, but which also ensures a good understanding of human structure and function.
Aims and Objectives

Both five and four-year curricula provide you with the clinical competence to work as a Foundation Doctor, and the potential to develop along the curriculum of medical education into a humane and rational doctor.
The Education Committee of the General Medical Council has approved the curricula and graduation will make you eligible for provisional registration as a doctor.
Course Structure

The curricula are highly integrated, both ‘horizontally’, in that the disciplines within medicine are learned together, and ‘vertically’, in that clinical work and clinical relevance are introduced from the very beginning.
Phases

Both curricula are divided into two phases. Phase 1 will equip you with the knowledge and skills you need to profit immediately from full time clinical education in Phase 2. In the five-year programme, Phase 1 lasts five semesters, in the four year programme it has been shortened to three semesters.
Phase 2 is exactly the same for students on both programmes who form a single cohort, distributed over the full range of clinical attachments available to the medical school.

Why study Medicine at Leicester

There has been a highly successful Medical School at the University of Leicester for over 30 years and this experience means you will receive excellent teaching and support.

The five-year curriculum was awarded 23 points out of 24 by the independent Quality Assurance Agency and has been commended on several counts by the Education Committee of the General Medical Council in successive visits, most recently in 2006.

In addition, Leicester was ranked 7th in the top ten medical schools in the 2010 Guardian University Guide. We offer an unrivalled learning environment for you to develop the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to practise medicine in the new millennium.

Our aim is to prepare new doctors to meet the challenges of health care in the 21st century. You will take forward knowledge, skills, attitudes and values that will prepare you for the inevitable changes in practice that will come in the future.

Plus free Ipads!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
I am not that keen on Leicester as a city (that's just my perception right now, going to the next open day there), but their scoring system suits me so I hope I can get an interview. I'm still reserved on the fact that 57/60 was the cut off point last year and that this year using the same percentage 64.6/68 would be the cut off point (I have 63/68). However if I applied this time last year I would have above the cut off point and I'm hopeful that the fact you need a UKCAT score of 3400+ for full marks mean only a small number of people will be getting near 68/68

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Do you think a score of 57 is enough?????
:smile:
Reply 4
I would love to apply to Leicester but my score would probably be too week, I have 28/34 and 28/34.. which gives me a total score of 56.. yikes.
Reply 5
Original post by ja1
I am not that keen on Leicester as a city (that's just my perception right now, going to the next open day there), but their scoring system suits me so I hope I can get an interview. I'm still reserved on the fact that 57/60 was the cut off point last year and that this year using the same percentage 64.6/68 would be the cut off point (I have 63/68). However if I applied this time last year I would have above the cut off point and I'm hopeful that the fact you need a UKCAT score of 3400+ for full marks mean only a small number of people will be getting near 68/68

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Pumuki63

Original post by erudite
I would love to apply to Leicester but my score would probably be too week, I have 28/34 and 28/34.. which gives me a total score of 56.. yikes.

I think it is very hard to guess what kind of scores will be needed for interview this year. A lot of people are starting to see Leicester as a fairly ukcat heavy uni so it could attract a lot of high scorers (although they could be using it as a way to boost slightly weaker academics).

Also bear in mind because of the changes to the GEM course there are about 30 odd more places on the A100 course this year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hello everyone I'm just giving Leicester a thought but don't think my score is competitive enough.
According to their scoring system for 2015 I score 56.5 points.
Is that competitive enough to move onto interview, given the fact that UKCAT averages have probably gone down this year.
Also if I have 56.5 do they round that to 57 and what has the cutoff been for previous years.
Original post by futuremedic19
Hello everyone I'm just giving Leicester a thought but don't think my score is competitive enough.
According to their scoring system for 2015 I score 56.5 points.
Is that competitive enough to move onto interview, given the fact that UKCAT averages have probably gone down this year.
Also if I have 56.5 do they round that to 57 and what has the cutoff been for previous years.

i have 59 and im avoiding leicester, and im pretty sure they dont round up lol
Original post by Jaska
i have 59 and im avoiding leicester, and im pretty sure they dont round up lol

Yeah I am also going to avoid them. Btw which med schools u thinking of ?
Original post by futuremedic19
Yeah I am also going to avoid them. Btw which med schools u thinking of ?

uea/plymouth/georges/hyms
Reply 10
Original post by Pumuki63

I doubt it. The cut off last year was only 3 below the max score and the year before was only 5/6 below.
If I got 2As for Alevel and a B as well as A in AS economics. And 6 A*s for gcse and ukcat of 667.5, would I be right in saying my score is 60.5?

Sorry for sounding stupid, I have the biggest migraine at the moment so cant even see straight and I have to sort out my uni choices :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by rocky96423
If I got 2As for Alevel and a B as well as A in AS economics. And 6 A*s for gcse and ukcat of 667.5, would I be right in saying my score is 60.5?

Sorry for sounding stupid, I have the biggest migraine at the moment so cant even see straight and I have to sort out my uni choices :smile:

Depends... What are your grades for GCSEs Bio, Phy, Chem, Maths and Eng? Have you completed your A Levels? If so, I believe that Leicester doesn't accept anything lower than AAA at A2.

Your UKCAT score would be 26.5/34 though. :smile:
Reply 13
Created a new poll to give an indication of applicant scores.
My prediction:

Gcse score needed will be 29 as not everyone will have A* in the 5 subjects (especially eng Lang)
AS score will probably be 2/3 I think.
UKCAT will be 27 at most (from last years) but probably 26 as the average has gone down a lot this year.

So I think the score will be between 57 and 59- probably 57.5- anyone agree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ellipsis...
My prediction:

Gcse score needed will be 29 as not everyone will have A* in the 5 subjects (especially eng Lang)
AS score will probably be 2/3 I think.
UKCAT will be 27 at most (from last years) but probably 26 as the average has gone down a lot this year.

So I think the score will be between 57 and 59- probably 57.5- anyone agree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I apologise,apparently the score needed was 58 last year so the ukcat score will probably be 27 (maybe 28 if harsh) score will be between 58 and 60- probably 58- anyone agree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I apologise,apparently the score needed was 58 last year so the ukcat score will probably be 27 (maybe 28 if harsh) score will be between 58 and 60- probably 58- anyone agree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think 10 points under the maximum is unlikely. I would highly doubt it will be under 60 but time will tell.
I know it sounds low but when you break it down I think it is highly unlikely to be over 59/60

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
I know it sounds low but when you break it down I think it is highly unlikely to be over 59/60

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is now out of 68
This is my score for leicester, I was wondering if you guys think I have a chance this year.
Academic score: 33/34
UKCAT score: 27/34
This will give me a total of 60/68
I really liked Leicester and I hope this score will be strong enough! any feedback would be great

Quick Reply