The Student Room Group

Leicester Medicine Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Just wanted to ask what the other medics were planning to do in terms of the freshers wristband? cause we also have the week before freshers as well, and signing up for lusuma which is also £60 and altogether it comes up to alot, so i wasnt sure if its worth doing both?
Just wondering are we automatically allocated with early accommodating since we start on the 21st Sept or do we have to sort this out ourselves and if so how do we go about doing this? Thank you
Original post by JamesRod231
Just wondering are we automatically allocated with early accommodating since we start on the 21st Sept or do we have to sort this out ourselves and if so how do we go about doing this? Thank you

You can book it through the on-line Uni accommodation booking tool. There's a drop down menu where you can select "Medicine Induction Week", and if you already have a term time room allocated then mention it in the free text box and they will book you the same room, as long as it's not being used for a conference. Probably stating the obvious, but you have to pay for it.
Original post by corazon
Just wanted to ask what the other medics were planning to do in terms of the freshers wristband? cause we also have the week before freshers as well, and signing up for lusuma which is also £60 and altogether it comes up to alot, so i wasnt sure if its worth doing both?

Maybe depends on how much you're into going out? If you google "Leicester Medicine - a Fresher's Tale" an existing student gives you an idea of the level of stamina required to get through the full three weeks - sounds like some do and others don't. On a purely financial level I think I read there are 17 events included in the £50 wrist band, so it depends how many you're likely to go to after Medic Fresher's. If you're likely to go to at least half of them then get the wristband for full flexibility. If you're likely to go to just 4 or 5, maybe see which are most popular with other medics and just go to those. Either way I don't think anyone will feel left out. It sounds like a lot of money whichever way you do it, but hopefully you will just go through fresher's once, so it won't make a big dent in your life time earnings.
What day is everyone arriving at their accommodation for medics induction week?
Original post by meddad
Maybe depends on how much you're into going out? If you google "Leicester Medicine - a Fresher's Tale" an existing student gives you an idea of the level of stamina required to get through the full three weeks - sounds like some do and others don't. On a purely financial level I think I read there are 17 events included in the £50 wrist band, so it depends how many you're likely to go to after Medic Fresher's. If you're likely to go to at least half of them then get the wristband for full flexibility. If you're likely to go to just 4 or 5, maybe see which are most popular with other medics and just go to those. Either way I don't think anyone will feel left out. It sounds like a lot of money whichever way you do it, but hopefully you will just go through fresher's once, so it won't make a big dent in your life time earnings.

thanksss so much you were really helpful!! so what are you planning to do then?
Reply 2486
Just wondering what other documents do you need to bring to Leicester. I've listed a few but not sure if it is all of it.
-ID
-DBS Certificate
-Accommodation Contract (online)
-Offer Letter (not sure if this is required)
anyone know whats happening during the induction week?
Original post by J4N4
Just wondering what other documents do you need to bring to Leicester. I've listed a few but not sure if it is all of it.
-ID
-DBS Certificate
-Accommodation Contract (online)
-Offer Letter (not sure if this is required)

You seem to have essentials covered. Other things I've seen suggested as useful:

- National Insurance Number
- NHS Medical Card or NHS medical number to register with local GP
- copy of immunisation record or copy of the health declaration you filled in
- spare photos for bus pass, gym pass, student union card etc.
- copy of eye prescription
- copy of passport details or original passport if likely to travel
Original post by piece-of-me
anyone know whats happening during the induction week?

There would be a timetable for the week given to you. :smile:
Unless you're talking about intro week for night events. :tongue:
Original post by Jckc123
There would be a timetable for the week given to you. :smile:
Unless you're talking about intro week for night events. :tongue:

haha not the night events. has anyone received that timetable yet? just wondering how compulsory it is to attend these? :tongue:
Original post by piece-of-me
haha not the night events. has anyone received that timetable yet? just wondering how compulsory it is to attend these? :tongue:

Well, I will advise you to go for these lectures as it tells you important bits of the med school and medicine, like fitness to practice, the course, where you can get help and etc.

Since its the first week and you have nothing better to do, might as well. :wink:
Sorry, im sure this has been asked and answered before but does anyone know the cut off score for an interview this year?
Original post by baldwel
Sorry, im sure this has been asked and answered before but does anyone know the cut off score for an interview this year?

If you mean 2015 entry it was 59.5 but a few with 58.5 got interviews.
Original post by ForestCat
If you mean 2015 entry it was 59.5 but a few with 58.5 got interviews.

I did yeah, thanks very much :smile:
Original post by baldwel

For standard undergraduate applications previous responses have quoted 59.5 and say this was directly quoted from Leicester Med School - that also fits with my recollection. You may see references to people getting interviews with 58.5 but I believe this was either graduate entry (with slightly different scoring criteria), or lower boundaries related to special schemes for applicants from less advantaged academic backgrounds. It will vary from year to year dependent on perfomance both at GCSE and at UKCAT across all applicants.
Original post by meddad
For standard undergraduate applications previous responses have quoted 59.5 and say this was directly quoted from Leicester Med School - that also fits with my recollection. You may see references to people getting interviews with 58.5 but I believe this was either graduate entry (with slightly different scoring criteria), or lower boundaries related to special schemes for applicants from less advantaged academic backgrounds. It will vary from year to year dependent on perfomance both at GCSE and at UKCAT across all applicants.

Thanks very much :smile:
Ahh so nervous for intro week :s-smilie:
Original post by auberginedreams

Don't be. Intro week is really boring. And everyone is in the same boat as you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by auberginedreams

Intro week is mainly meeting your group mates and try to stay awake for the lectures if you went out the night before lol. Otherwise, I can't really remember anything that is nervous-worthy and as forest cat said.. It's boring most of the time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending